It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies" Seems to Give Warning to Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If you are old enough to remember a different time in history---the 1950's, the 1960's, even the '70's, then seeing this movie will hold you spellbound. You'll kind of long to go to your grandmother's house again, grab a coke from her ice box and watch her old TV.

Speilberg masterfully recreated this era of history and there is no way you can't feel nostalgic. He doesn't say the world was perfect then, but he reminds us that we were a country of ideals that valued freedom beyond anything else. We were also about integrity, honesty and acceptance.

This was the world before the death of Kennedy, before the large-scale implementation of the New World Order. Spielberg directs this film as if he knows this, as if he wants to show us America in its age of innocence, before Applebees took over every street corner, before the rise of the corprotocracy.

He asks us to look at ourselves--both in the past and today, and by using comparison, see how far down the rabbit hole we've gone.

Hanks was the perfect actor to play the lead role, because he seems to represent what we like about America--at least the America some of us remember.

I was shocked that Spielberg directed this as I always took him for a huge liberal, but he's telling us something important in this move. I'm surprised Hollywood even let him make it.

Go see it.

It's really that good.

edit on 11-12-2015 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2015 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Did he happen to put any aliens in this film?

Sounds very interesting though!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

I enjoyed it. A very good telling of the Gary Powers U2 incident. And I liked how he didn't glorify Powers at all. Just told it from the back end perspective. I thought Hanks did an amazing job as usual.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I've heard good things about this movie.

I don't think there is an underlying message, after all it's based on a true story-I saw the trailer and I knew that was Gary powers being brought down and the truth of his story doesn't need embellishment, it happened-and if anything it goes to show how far both sides went to avoid a potentially world ending conflict.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Take my money!

I definitely will be seeing this. Who doesn't love nostalgic reminiscing and taking a good hard look at our lives and our world?

It sounds like there is a message in there AMERICA really needs to hear right now. I'm getting real tired of what I'm seeing...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Upon your recommendation I will watch it then. Spielberg is nearly always quality.

You know Botticelli's Venus rising from the waves is the most beautiful face ever to be painted on canvas in my opinion. It is my favourite depiction of the female form in a painting. Sandro Botticelli, what a guy!

For that reason I will always look very fondly on your avatar OP.

All the best.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I am going to see it for sure with my granddaughter.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Looking back we see the totality of it. Don't forget, every Hollywood movie nowadays is Goebbels style propaganda.

When the spy plane was sent, it was a secret. When it was shot down, it was kept a secret. When they captured the plane and its pilot it was kept a secret. Only when the US refused to play along with the Soviets did they take public the danger the US put the world in then, and still does today.

Everything about whats going on in Syria is being kept secret, by the state of secrets. It takes the Russians (again) to expose the US led subversive and covert operations there.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

No, I don't agree at all.

Speilberg never makes a movie without commenting on something--in his own Spielberg way.

At the end of the movie, when Hanks is sitting on the train looking out the window, back in America, he feels this peace, this happiness to be back in a safe and comfortable atmosphere where freedom is the predominant characteristic of America at that time.

It was meant to contrast the earlier scene when Hanks was riding the train in Germany and saw people being shot at the Berlin Wall.

He seemed to ask us, is the America Hanks was riding through the same America? With kids playing in the backyard? Or is America now closer to the scene in Germany, with the uncertainty that we feel? With the violence? With the air of divorce from civil liberty.

Speilberg knows the America he depicted in that movie no longer exists. It doesn't take a genius to know that that America no longer exists.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Reminds me of this:

new topics

top topics

join