It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Supreme Court Halts Birth Certificates For Same-Sex Partners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LSU0408
...perhaps the name of the lab should be on the birth certificate.

Would the lab then be obligated for all child rearing and fiduciary responsibilities?

It should be. If they created it, they should help pay for it. And not with my tax dollars, with their own paychecks.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Just for edification purposes:

Identification

A child that has been brought into the world by artificial insemination is a live birth with a birth certificate signed by the attending doctor or midwife. The mother is listed on the birth certificate along with the date, newborn's full name and time of birth. If the mother is not married she can choose to have the name of the father listed as unknown or the area can be left blank. If the mother is part of a couple her husband will be listed as the birth father.

Effects

The fact that a donor has gone to a clinic to donate his sperm does not make him the legal father of any child that is born from the artificial insemination. Any adult that is taking part as a donor or recipient must think the situation through and be aware of the facts. The donor is providing the biological material that will aid in the insemination process. He should be aware that he enters into an agreement to make this donation and that ends his part in the process. He is not legally the father of any child that may be born as a result of his donated sperm. The sperm donor will never have any right to access the birth certificate of any child that is born due to his donation at a facility.

Source

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Care to answer the question I've asked to a few people in this thread already?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

THANK YOU! Case closed!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There is a paper trail involved in those procedures. All of the medical information is on record and available upon request.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It should be. If they created it, they should help pay for it. And not with my tax dollars, with their own paychecks.

That is pretty absurd. So all sperm banks should start setting up college funds for the children that were derived from the transaction?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It should be the biological parents on the birth certificate. If an adoption takes place afterwords that is a separate issue. This is a medical record and it contains the genetic information and family history that may be needed by the child later in life. I don't see this as a marriage equality issue, but a statement of fact.

Yeah but how we see it and how "they" will see it is night and day.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta

There is a paper trail involved in those procedures. All of the medical information is on record and available upon request.

As AugustusMasonicus pointed out in cases of sperm bank donation, the legal husband (not the sperm donor) gets listed on the birth certificate. So why should homosexual couples be treated differently?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Uh Oh, sounds to me like someone is interpreting things based on a book and letting their personal opinions get in the way of their public servant mandated job description.

That's like me refusing to pilot bulk carriers into port because I don't like Iron Ore mining.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I was just saying in the case of a sperm bank there is no absence of medical record. Its not like some craigslist surrogate.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

So, because you can't see it in your heart to write a damn name on a piece of paper just because the name is attached to a gay person (keep in mind it is done with no questions asked for heterosexual couples where the father wasn't the real father) we should create new laws (that would likely drive sperm banks out of business)? Makes sense...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

What if a woman comes in right behind them and chooses the same sperm and the kids meet up later down the road about 18 years and start dating? How would you like to find out that your girlfriend is really your half sister because y'all have the same dad? You have your mom and dad, and you have your biological parents. If they differ, you need to know. So the man can list his name as the father, but it needs to be know who the real father is.

link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

True, but that isn't something taken into consideration with heterosexual couples. The legal husband is listed and not the sperm donor.

link   
Unborn children getting the shaft yet again.

Have any of you Big Gay Warriors ever stopped to consider what the child might want? How your social agenda may affect them?

I would want to know who my biological (i.e. real) parents are.

So would 99.99% of human beings. Don't you think it might mess with the kid's head a little, putting a scientific impossibility on his birth certificate?

What a selfish, selfish agenda this is.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

So where is your outrage for heterosexual couples that do this and list the husband as the father instead of the sperm donor?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This is a tough one, OP. I have to put myself in the child's shoes. It would seem to me the logical approach would be to put the biological and adoptive parents names on the birth certificate. In a case where only one parents name is known. You would put that name on the birth certificate, and the other biological parent would be listed by code, designating the other parent as unknown(test tube, etc). The adoptive parent would then be listed as such on the certificate. Like I said, it's a tough call, but I see no reason not to name both biological and adoptive parents on the BC. I would certainly want to know ALL of the information I could get once I was an adult.

So where is your outrage for heterosexual couples that do this and list the husband as the father instead of the sperm donor?

Good point. I hadn't really given it much thought til now. I didn't know that's how it was done. Time to do some reading.
edit on 12/11/2015 by Klassified because: eta

link   

What if a woman comes in right behind them and chooses the same sperm and the kids meet up later down the road about 18 years and start dating? How would you like to find out that your girlfriend is really your half sister because y'all have the same dad? You have your mom and dad, and you have your biological parents. If they differ, you need to know. So the man can list his name as the father, but it needs to be know who the real father is.

My wife and opted to get a blood test prior to getting our marriage certificate.

In the case where copulatory practices involve familial partners Bubba Joe would not be able to marry Lindsey Sue if they did the same thing.

edit on 11-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

link   

First, the sperm bank likely keeps the records on file. Second, if this problem hasn't happened that badly with heterosexual couples, what makes you think it will happen with homosexual ones? I mean how often have you heard about this happening with heterosexual couples?
edit on 11-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Which says nothing about a homosexual couple. That talks just about the mother having the child. I think the gay couple should fill out adoption papers or whatever it is that they have to do. Not a birth certificate though.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

THANK YOU! Case closed!

Lol, why is it closed?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join