It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft resolution against anti-Russia sanctions introduced to French parliament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

A French lawmaker has presented a draft resolution to the country’s parliament, which is calling for the lifting of the anti-Russian sanctions. The document denounces the sanctions as ‘ineffective’ and questions their legality.
The document was drafted and presented to the parliament on Wednesday by the Republicans party MP and former transport minister Thierry Mariani.

The proposed resolution lists the reasons for abolishing anti-Russian sanctions as well as economic losses brought to France by their imposition. The draft bill denounces the sanctions as “totally ineffective and mostly illegal” adding that they are “in contradiction with the fundamental interests of French-Russian relations” and harmful to France, Sputnik news agency reports.

"Bilateral trade has in fact declined. Since the beginning of 2015, the volume of Franco-Russian trade has declined by 40 percent, to a large extent due to the non-delivery of the Mistral warships. The cancellation of the sale of the Mistrals to Russia illustrated the abandonment of our national independence. This political mistake also has a considerable cost to French taxpayers," the document reads.

Source

Ok, it must be the shift that's making it's rounds, you got to look at the headlines flying in, that can make you go hmmm. As a lead up since the downing of the Russian jet by Turkish jets, are we not seeing some support for the Russians from within French politics, since Putin has been on a campaign to open up the proverbial can of worms.

I knew it's just a draft, but it does indicate some implications for France as well.

The document also warns that France could suffer significant economic losses as its companies would lose their share of the Russian market and calls for evaluating the financial impact of the sanctions on the EU and particularly on France “with great realism” before extending the sanctions further.

"These sanctions, which will only push the Russians to reorient their trade, are detrimental to sustainable economic relations between France and Russia. If the sanctions last any longer, French companies will end up suffering more than Russia," the document reads.

The resolution also questions the legality of the sanctions targeting individuals claiming that they are incompatible with Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights that envisages the right for fair trial for violation of civil law.

"Such sanctions raise a series of questions, especially regarding the legality of such measures. Indeed, who can claim the right to create a list of citizens and applying personal sanctions against them without questioning, without having an opportunity to defend themselves and even have a lawyer," the draft bill says.

There is some economical loses warned for France as result of this sanctions against Russia, but there is the question of the it's legality as well.

"Taking into account the geopolitical context and the urgent need to fight Islamic State together with Russia, maintaining economic sanctions against the Russian Federation has lost its relevance … Indeed, we cannot ask Russia to be a partner in the fight against Daesh and simultaneously continue to impose sanctions against it," the document says.

This is good news for the Russians especially in their campaign against IS. Your thoughts?
edit on 10-12-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Italy wanted discussions on the same topic. The sanctions ending rested on total compliance with Minsk and personally they should remain until that issue is settled. Putin has tried to argue the sanctions should be lifted because of their actions towards Isis.

Kind of a weird position to argue from since ending Isis should be a goal all to itself.

If France feels this way and Russia agrees then it should be linked to Russian ending sanctions against Ukraine and turkey.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
If France feels this way and Russia agrees then it should be linked to Russian ending sanctions against Ukraine and turkey.

Fair enough, removal of the Ukraine sanctions I can agree to that, but for Turkey, considering Russia has proved their dealings with ISIS, I don't see a reason why Russian sanctions should be lifted against Turkey, unless they comply with the fight against ISIS, which I highly doubt is what they are doing.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Found this as well ....

The Italian government blocked European Union attempts Wednesday to extend sanctions against Russia, calling on the 28-country bloc to discuss the matter in full first. The EU envoy had hoped to pass the economic sanctions, which were imposed on Moscow last year over its involvement in Ukraine, without delay after an informal agreement between all EU members was allegedly passed last month during the G20 meeting in Turkey.

However, Italian diplomats were unhappy that an extension of the sanctions was set to be passed without any formal discussions Wednesday during a meeting in Brussels, according to a Reuters report.
www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Same here in Germany.

A recent survey among businesses within the Foreign-Trade Chamber (RU/DE) showed that the majority advocates ending the sanctions against Russia in early 2016.

*Can't find the poll right now, sorry.

I want to add this article on Forbes to the thread though:
Russia Turning The Corner On Sanctions

[...] The sanctions ending rested on total compliance with Minsk and personally they should remain until that issue is settled. [...]

True, ending the sanctions rests on adherence to Minsk II.

Our position on this is that Russia did abide the agreement, so we hope we can soon return to a good neighbourly co-operation of mutual benefit for ALL parties in the region, including Ukraine and Crimea.
edit on 11-12-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

True, ending the sanctions rests on adherence to Minsk II.

No, it doesn't.

The time is out, for Ukraine to give the breakout republics independent (or self governing status) status within Ukraine. Don't know if Biden managed to get some sense into those knuckle heads, but I wouldn't expect much.

Russia will keep their end, that we all know.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The EU sanctions against Russia should continue. We need to remember the cause of the sanctions was Russian belligerence.

In view of Russia's actions destabilising the situation in eastern Ukraine, the EU imposed economic sanctions in July 2014 and reinforced them in September 2014. In March 2015, the European Council linked the duration of those economic restrictions to the complete implementation of the Minsk agreements.

The EU remains ready to reverse its decisions and reengage with Russia when it starts contributing actively and without ambiguities to finding a solution to the Ukrainian crisis.

Read all about it

No surprise that the article from RT.com failed to mention the "why" of the sanctions, but then the Russian government-owned media would not want to remind the reader of that would they! The sanctions against Russia and the ensuing economic pressure, was a price that Putin has been prepared to pay for his meddling in Ukraine and annexation of Crimea.
edit on 11/12/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Economic sanctions are stupid and they don't work.

Where are all the sanctions against the USA for all of the illegal wars it has started?

If Russia is to be brought back into the fold, there needs to be open dialogue with Moscow, not childish and petty punitive 'punishments' The Russian people have already proved they are resilient and prepared to be self sufficient, and that they approve of what Putin does - he enjoys massive support from the public over there.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
The EU sanctions against Russia should continue. We need to remember the cause of the sanctions was Russian belligerence.

Well what do you expect when the USA interferes right on their border and installs a puppet regime

I seem to remember a big 'crisis' back in the 1960's when the Soviet Union put some missiles on a small island just off America (Cuba)

America should have kept it's filthy hands off Ukraine and left it to the locals to sort the issue out.
edit on 11-12-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

The time is out, for Ukraine to give the breakout republics independent (or self governing status) status within Ukraine.

You do understand Ukraine doesn't have to do anything, until the Minsk agreement is adhered to...including Russia and it's troops being removed from Ukraine and stop supplying the separatists so they can keep it going.

Guarantee when Russia removes itself from Ukraine the sanctions would be lifted, but until that happens the sanctions should and probably will stay in place.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Well what do you expect when the USA interferes right on their border and installs a puppet regime

Ah yes the one that was fairly elected by the people of Ukraine...guess you forgot that didn't you?

The one Russia acknowledges as being legit and accepts the result of those elections.

Global research is about as credible as Russian media...which is usually the stories they parrot.

I seem to remember a big 'crisis' back in the 1960's when the Soviet Union installed put some missiles on a small island just off America (Cuba)

What does that have to do with Ukraine? Different time different country.

America should have kept it's filthy hands off Ukraine and left it to the locals to sort the issue out.

So that does include Putin to do the same...correct?

You do know Putin was a large part of the problems in Ukraine when then president Yanukovych was in office.

Glazyev, speaking on the sidelines of the discussion, said the exact opposite was true: "Ukrainian authorities make a huge mistake if they think that the Russian reaction will become neutral in a few years from now. This will not happen."

Instead, he said, signing the agreement would make the default of Ukraine inevitable and Moscow would not offer any helping hand. "Russia is the main creditor of Ukraine. Only with customs union with Russia can Ukraine balance its trade," he said. Russia has already slapped import restrictions on certain Ukrainian products and Glazyev did not rule out further sanctions if the agreement was signed.

The Kremlin aide added that the political and social cost of EU integration could also be high, and allowed for the possibility of separatist movements springing up in the Russian-speaking east and south of Ukraine. He suggested that if Ukraine signed the agreement, Russia would consider the bilateral treaty that delineates the countries' borders to be void.

"We don't want to use any kind of blackmail. This is a question for the Ukrainian people," said Glazyev. "But legally, signing this agreement about association with EU, the Ukrainian government violates the treaty on strategic partnership and friendship with Russia." When this happened, he said, Russia could no longer guarantee Ukraine's status as a state and could possibly intervene if pro-Russian regions of the country appealed directly to Moscow.

"Signing this treaty will lead to political and social unrest," said the Kremlin aide. "The living standard will decline dramatically … there will be chaos."

www.theguardian.com...

Seems Russia has fortune tellers in their government, or they had plans to implement exactly what we saw when this situation first began, because they seem to know exactly what was going to happen to Ukraine before it happened...little fishy if you ask me.

SO now Russia has had it's hands in Ukraine long before the US supposedly had.
edit on 11-12-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Economic sanctions are stupid and they don't work.

And yet they worked with Russia, as they know it works so good they are imposing them against Turkey.

If Russia is to be brought back into the fold, there needs to be open dialogue with Moscow, not childish and petty punitive 'punishments' The Russian people have already proved they are resilient and prepared to be self sufficient, and that they approve of what Putin does - he enjoys massive support from the public over there.

No they approve of what Putin tells them he did, and what he tells them isn't the truth the world outside Russia get's to see.

You do know that disparaging remarks about Putin could have you vacationing in Siberia in the winter, so most won't do it...and neither will the state run media.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012

Fair enough, removal of the Ukraine sanctions I can agree to that, but for Turkey, considering Russia has proved their dealings with ISIS, I don't see a reason why Russian sanctions should be lifted against Turkey, unless they comply with the fight against ISIS, which I highly doubt is what they are doing.

Why should sanctions put on for actions against Ukraine be lifted due to actions against ISIS?

It's like arguing a dr. who murdered someone should have no penalty because they later saved a life.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Seems Russia has fortune tellers in their government, or they had plans to implement exactly what we saw when this situation first began, because they seem to know exactly what was going to happen to Ukraine before it happened...little fishy if you ask me.

Russia uses the same fortune tellers that we do. And the same methods.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Why should sanctions put on for actions against Ukraine be lifted due to actions against ISIS?

It's like arguing a dr. who murdered someone should have no penalty because they later saved a life.

And why is there a double standard where America is concerned?

Why are there no US sanctions over all the illegal wars it has started. Where is the outrage over the rolling of 'regimes' that do not fall into line with its plans for an American dominated New World Order?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

And why is there a double standard where America is concerned?

Why are there no US sanctions over all the illegal wars it has started. Where is the outrage over the rolling of 'regimes' that do not fall into line with its plans for an American dominated New World Order?

Prove America did something and sanction them. Your post is a logical fallacy, you don't like I destroyed an argument so you went off topic and changed the subject.

Stay on topic.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It is on topic.

The French have admitted that the sanctions against Russia are illegal and illogical.

So, if we sanction Russia, why do we not sanction America?

We could start with it's war to depose Saddam Hussein over weapons of mass destruction that were never found.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

It is on topic.

The French have admitted that the sanctions against Russia are illegal and illogical.

So, if we sanction Russia, why do we not sanction America?

We could start with it's war to depose Saddam Hussein over weapons of mass destruction that were never found.

No, it's not. When we discuss the punishment for Charlie Manson it has nothing to do with whether someone else is just as bad.

Whether Russia should be sanctioned deals solely with whether Russia should be sanctioned. Whether another country should be sanctioned is another thread, go make it if you like. Since your only retort is "but america" I will assume you have no actual response.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

My response is there should not have been sanctions in the first place.

You can jab me with low rent insults all you want, but Russia should not continue to be sanctioned over what happened in the Ukraine.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

My response is there should not have been sanctions in the first place.

You can jab me with low rent insults all you want, but Russia should not continue to be sanctioned over what happened in the Ukraine.

No insults were even thrown. More off topic posting from you. Claiming they should not have been is great. I claim they should have been. Anything of substance to add?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join