It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid, John Lewis assail 'racist' Scalia comments

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: Xtrozero

What he said is accurate. If someone only gains college admittance based on skin color, then they shouldn't be gaining it at all. Either a person is good enough, and color isn't an issue, or they aren't good enough. and color isn't an issue. Work harder, study more, and earn it. Giving something to someone for skin color is what's racist.

Again acceptance is NOT! based on skin color alone how many times must this be said.

If it's based on skin color AT ALL, it's still racist. How many times must that be said?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Ok so the fact that white females are the top benefactors is it still racist?? or is it just sexist.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

First, show evidence. Second, anyone gaining a job or college admission based on their race or sex is wrong. Merit should be the only factor.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

First, show evidence. Second, anyone gaining a job or college admission based on their race or sex is wrong. Merit should be the only factor.

Affirmative Action Has Helped White Women More Than Anyone
Their successes make the case not for abandoning affirmative action but for continuing it

ideas.time.com...
Affirmative Action and What It Means for Women
nwlc.org...

Yeah I agree but merit is not the only factor when hiring is it, and listen I am not pushing for affirmative action based on ethnicity but on income and if disparities remained then lets fix that but lets not pretend that we live in some post racial paradise where ethnicity,gender and color no longer matters, I know it shouldn't but it does.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)The top Senate Democrat and a civil rights legend serving in the House both condemned Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's comments during an affirmative action case on Thursday, when Scalia seemed to suggest that some African-Americans don't belong in top colleges.

Why yes people.

There is 'nothing' inherently wrong with people getting jobs based on nothing more than the color of their skin.

Qualifications ?

What stinking qualifications?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
My only issue with this, is that Scalia seems to imply that Black kids aren't as smart as white kids.

Maybe it's just me reading something into it, but it just didn't come across so well...

No, he implied they are less educated. Which is true. A result is that colleges now have to dumb themselves down considerably. I was appalled at the standards in college and who was able to pass. What I would consider F work was a C.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

What he said is accurate. If someone only gains college admittance based on skin color, then they shouldn't be gaining it at all. Either a person is good enough, and color isn't an issue, or they aren't good enough. and color isn't an issue. Work harder, study more, and earn it. Giving something to someone for skin color is what's racist.

Again acceptance is NOT! based on skin color alone how many times must this be said.

If it's based on skin color AT ALL, it's still racist. How many times must that be said?

No, this is good. So the man who has a black friend is no longer racist. His friendship/acceptance is not offered based on race ALONE.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Democrats! The only people who call stating facts, racist. The truth is the truth and facts are facts...if you are stating one, it isn't racist just because the left-wing-nut-jobs disagree.

I've got an idea for my other right leaning friends. From now on, no matter what crap they spew we should respond "yeah...but you just want to kill jews". No matter what...no matter if it has nothing to do with anything. I mean...they do that with "racist", why not fight fire with fire?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Democrats! The only people who call stating facts, racist. The truth is the truth and facts are facts...if you are stating one, it isn't racist just because the left-wing-nut-jobs disagree.

I've got an idea for my other right leaning friends. From now on, no matter what crap they spew we should respond "yeah...but you just want to kill jews". No matter what...no matter if it has nothing to do with anything. I mean...they do that with "racist", why not fight fire with fire?

But a lie wrapped up as truth coated with bigotry is still a LIE, the fact is many on your side of the political spectrum repeat LIES over and over again until it has become it's own truthiness.

And as for deflection?? no need double down on that art as again many on your side are experts on that tactic.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

All call you on that. Give me a few known lies from the right. Now...lets define a lie. Something the person who says it is not the truth when they say it. That includes saying some this one way when they know it is not factual.

I'm ready and waiting!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
oops
edit on 12/13/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

All call you on that. Give me a few known lies from the right. Now...lets define a lie. Something the person who says it is not the truth when they say it. That includes saying some this one way when they know it is not factual.

I'm ready and waiting!

Oki doki

Affordable Care Act is a Gov't takeover of healthcare.
Apr 01 2009
In the spring of 2009, a Republican strategist settled on a brilliant and powerful attack line for President Barack Obama's ambitious plan to overhaul America's health insurance system. Frank Luntz, a consultant famous for his phraseology, urged GOP leaders to call it a "government takeover." However this is completely false and was Politifacts 2010 Lie of the Year.
Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction
Aug 26 2002
Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction
Iraq linked to Al-Qaeda and/or 9/11 Attacks
Nov 27 2001
Iraq linked to Al-Qaeda and/or 9/11 Attacks
United States is a Christian Nation
Separation of Church & State Jan 01 2000
There is a clear separation of church and state in the United States. The united states is not a Christian Nation
Medicare is in Danger of Going Bankrupt
Medicare & Barack Obama 2009
Republican claim first made in 2009 during the health care debate. According to the Medicare Boards of Trustees, Medicare Parts B and D were "both projected to remain adequately financed into the indefinite future because current law automatically provides financing each year to meet the next year’s expected costs." And although the Trust Fund for Part A is projected to be exhausted in 2029, revenue will still cover 85 percent of costs.
www.democratichub.com...

And a few more like Death Panels.
Defund Acorn based on edited vid.
Trying to defund Plan Parent Hood through edited vid.
Medicare was robbed of $700 billion to pay for Obamacare.
Sorry man the list is too long, and I haven't even gone into lies by individual Reps.
Now some will retort that Dems lie...yes they do but I was asked to show lies Reps repeat.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Some of those were not lies. Some were.

Both parties simply say whatever is convenient and whether something is truthful is not a concern, only whether they think their lie will be uncovered, and if it will hurt them.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Affirmative Action Has Helped White Women More Than Anyone
Their successes make the case not for abandoning affirmative action but for continuing it

ideas.time.com...
Affirmative Action and What It Means for Women
nwlc.org...

Yeah I agree but merit is not the only factor when hiring is it, and listen I am not pushing for affirmative action based on ethnicity but on income and if disparities remained then lets fix that but lets not pretend that we live in some post racial paradise where ethnicity,gender and color no longer matters, I know it shouldn't but it does.

The study makes a claim, but it's not actually proven. They assume a correlation without showing clearly that there actually is one. Maybe there is, but nothing I read shows that clearly. Either way, if someone's sex is the reason they get a job, over a more qualified candidate of the opposite sex, that's wrong.

As for college, and income issues, that's not really a solution, either. Admitting someone to a college or university, that wouldn't otherwise qualify, because of some racial or income quota, means that person will be ill-equipped to handle the educational requirements associated with that school. We end up with people obtaining virtually useless degrees, and still unable to get a decent job, except maybe in a government office, again through some affirmative action guideline.

I agree; race and sex shouldn't matter for a job (with a few possible exceptions, such as character jobs), but we don't live in a perfect world. When affirmative action means unqualified people gain jobs, though, and those same people don't perform well, cause problems, and then can't be fired without risking a discrimination lawsuit, who benefits?

I never got a break for being a white woman, and I worked with people who were seriously not qualified in some places, and who didn't even try. No one gave me college funds because I was white. I know a lot of other lower income women who'd agree with me, too.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

No, this is good. So the man who has a black friend is no longer racist. His friendship/acceptance is not offered based on race ALONE.

I honestly have no idea what you meant to say here. Can you rephrase?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join