It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game for privacy is gone, mass surveillance is here to stay – Assange on #RT10 panel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
I guess this is why Cameron has been making efforts to make encryption tech illegal.For ever government hired computer wiz there will always be ten fold of that in the general population.This rhetoric will inevitable drive the population towards vpn's and tor.

Now we are talking, thank God for open source and sites like ATS to freely share ideas..

The internet is designed in a way that it cannot be possibly be controlled in one location, one server goes down another pops up somewhere in world. So i think as long as the internet remains as it is. There are software's like tor and Virtual Private Networks that can provide at least some privacy where needed.

edit on 10-12-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012

I guess this is why Cameron has been making efforts to make encryption tech illegal.For ever government hired computer wiz there will always be ten fold of that in the general population.This rhetoric will inevitable drive the population towards vpn's and tor.

Now we are talking, thank God for open source and sites like ATS to freely share ideas..

The internet is designing in a way that it cannot be possibly controlled in one locations, one server goes down another pops up somewhere in world. So i think as long as the internet remains as it. there are software like tor and Virtual Private Networks that can provide at list some privacy where needed.

But be careful.With this kind of talk we will be branded terrorists.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I guess this is why Cameron has been making efforts to .For ever government hired computer wiz there will always be ten fold of that in the general population.This rhetoric will inevitable drive the population towards vpn's and tor.

The internet is designing in a way that it cannot be possibly controlled in one locations, one server goes down another pops up somewhere in world. So i think as long as the internet remains as it. there are software like tor and Virtual Private Networks that can provide at list some privacy where needed.

Look, no software is going to make a pernanent difference. Cameron talking about making encryption tech illegal is just smoke and mirrors, a form of amusement even. It's just another way to make you or I a potential criminal by that act, while all you or I, may just be looking for privacy, in itself a waste of time as far as the internet is concerned, anyway.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

Funny I thought exactly the same, while typing my previous response to you, on how easy anyone can be branded a terrorist because of keeping our privacy.

That I think is part of the problem with the need to remove our privacy. We are in caution because we might say stuff that may get us in trouble but really we are talking about our personal privacy.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012
There will not be revolution. Think of 1984. The majority did what they did without complaint and a very small minority believed that the government was deceiving them and as such revolution is impossible, though I loudly advocate it amongst my peers. None, but for maybe two would join. You are slaves, as am I. Accept it, because we can do nothing, but should revolution arise I will gladly rise with it, if not be the founder. But as of now we are doomed.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
There will not be revolution.... But as of now we are doomed.

Sadly I am leaning more towards that assertion despite being optimistic, I can't ignore that people who can make a difference like Assenge, Snowdon and many others alike are targeted by the government...

It's a messed up state of affairs we are in right now.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just like 1984, dissenters are persecuted by officials.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

There will not be revolution. Think of 1984. The majority did what they did without complaint and a very small minority believed that the government was deceiving them and as such revolution is impossible, though I loudly advocate it amongst my peers. None, but for maybe two would join. You are slaves, as am I. Accept it, because we can do nothing, but should revolution arise I will gladly rise with it, if not be the founder. But as of now we are doomed.

I agree, it's not just 1984 but also Brave New World.Pacifying the masses with goodies. Eventually those that question corrupt authority will become a thing of the past.A sad but seemingly true fact.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Funny I thought exactly the same, while typing my previous response to you, on how easy anyone can be branded a terrorist because of keeping our privacy.

That I think is part of the problem with the need to remove our privacy. We are in caution because we might say stuff that may get us in trouble but really we are talking about our personal privacy.

Those in power are afraid of losing it.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Anyone wants to mention sources, well, you'd never heard that on Western media just as on RT you'd never heard about Russia's spy grid. That DOES NOT discredit these whistle blowers at all. Also, Americans are most affected by it's spy grid's anti privacy as opposed to others.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Exactly! Literally (you know what I mean) we live in a combination of those two novels. Materialism, mindless entertainment and government watch.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I think Assange is right, however I also think that there's ways to use this against the system. When everything is being monitored and recorded that also holds true for those in power. So provided you can find a way to access the information the surveillance state will ultimately add another layer of transparency to government power.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

What bugs me is the potential of politicians being influenced by lobbyists in the decision making process to serve their interests.

How can we ever get rid of this corrupt tactics in politics that exists with which we can't really do much about.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I've given my solution here many times, but most people disagree with me. The salaries we pay government officials represents the lobbying dollars of the public. All we have to do is pay them more than the corporations do and self interest will handle the rest.

For every dollar each member of the public spends that puts $317 million worth of public lobbying into congress. No corporation can compete with that type of ratio and they'll eventually be priced out of the game.

Throw in the fact that like I said surveillance works both ways so that in the long term we get more transparency over officials and it's a problem that can in theory be fixed.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
That really is rich.

So now Assange, and Snowden are both in Russia's pocket talking about 'spying'.

When Russia is a bigger spy than we are.

Don't worry about who's the biggest spy here, it's one's privacy that one must consider here.

If anything the whistle blowers are just telling as what we already know might be happening here. They are just clearing the mist and making us realize that what we've pondering is in fact is what is happening behind the scenes.

Not sure why you think of Assange as a whistle blower - what do you actually know that you didn't know before wikileaks, and I mean of actual substance? Nothing seems to be springing to mind, no governments fell, no country collapsed, just basically told us that diplomats gossip about their host countries as much as anyone else does.

Assange speaking to RT about privacy though just shows what a hypocrite he is when RT is a Russian government mouthpiece.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

There will not be revolution. Think of 1984.
I am. I was thinking it was supposed to be a warning, not a blueprint, but it seems to have turned out to be the latter.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Does ATS think, what Assange has said about "Privacy being gone" is true about our current state of affairs?

I think what I've been thinking all along. All of these guys are controlled opposition. And privacy has been gone in the minds of the people who control them for at least a decade.

If they were not controlled opposition you'd have never heard of them. Well, actually, let's just say the media would not have been presenting them in a positive light or taking them seriously. This whole whistleblower thing is a sham, IMO.
edit on 11-12-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I agree, it's not just 1984 but also Brave New World.Pacifying the masses with goodies.

Well, actually, they're doing a pretty poor job of it. It's just that it doesn't matter because of human nature. Young people (especially) are not hard to indoctrinate when they were born into this mess and haven't ever known anything else.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

And to think that politicians are controlled by wealthy Elitists, is basically a path for enslavement for mankind. There must be a way out of what seems to be a nightmarish future.

Personally, I'm not as concerned about the lack of privacy as I am about what they intend to do with all this data they're collecting.

I mean we're seeing some pretty creepy trends. I see things online all the time where people are talking about taxing people for being overweight. Really? I mean it's not as if people weren't always like this but now the technology exists for TPTB to literally persecute people in any way they see fit. And the laws are rapidly being shaped to make it very easy for them to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

I agree, it's not just 1984 but also Brave New World.Pacifying the masses with goodies.

Well, actually, they're doing a pretty poor job of it. It's just that it doesn't matter because of human nature. Young people (especially) are not hard to indoctrinate when they were born into this mess and haven't ever known anything else.

I'd say they're doing a fantastic job. I'm only 32 and feel ancient.The stupidity of youth today is staggering compared to when I was a kid.
We have a population of students parroting others hard work waiting for a pat on the back and certificate.Not realizing they're being conditioned for a production line.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join