It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboard asking people to skip church on Christmas stirs controversy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Raggedyman

Worship?
Do christians celebrating christmas actively worship anything
The tree, Santa, presents? They might celebrate the festivities with their familys though worshiping?
Maybe you might want to consider the word worship in context

Don't ask me. Ask them. Some Christians have denounced Christmas calling it pagan and idol worship using many, many verses in the Bible.

Anyway this is really in response to your statement in other post:

But to suggest Christians are sinners for celebrating christmas

You base this on what, educated guess, something you read, logic and reason?

So yes according to some, Christians are sinners for celebrating Christmas.

Let me reiterate my question

What worship, you made the comment about christians worshiping christmas or some such, now you are saying others made the comment

So you listen to a few fundamentalists and then trumpet their beliefs as if they were the law

Your preaching your beliefs at christians? Your preaching your fundamental christian beliefs at christians?

Can you not see how warped your comments are

So go ask your fundy friends and get them to answer the question for you then relay it to me

Finaly, not that you will care but how about scripture

Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

But hey, you can judge me in any way you see fit, you are welcome to believe the Mormons JWs or fundies

and whats the bet DA, you are probably one of the atheists who trumpet how many times you have read the bible or how much knowledge you have about religion.

Just makes me sad you listen to anything that tickles your ears.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Yea, hypocrites like to separate church and state except for when it comes to holiday shopping commerce. You would figure with all the Christmas and Christian holiday shopping spree money the feds make, Obama would at least thank Santa Clause.
edit on 11-12-2015 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I am not a Christian. I am not preaching to you. I am not judging you.

You are actually proving people's opinion that many Christians have victim mentality.

All I did was showing you how Christians can interpret or take the Bible verses to denounce certain activities as sins. You are the one who claimed that there is no basis for this.

I was thinking about this and thought of the kids. Don't kids believe in Santa and his magical powers? Don't parents encourage them?

You can find plenty of verses in the Bible about this.

[edit]

and whats the bet DA, you are probably one of the atheists who trumpet how many times you have read the bible or how much knowledge you have about religion.

I don't understand why it is so hard to accept that many non-Christians were once Christians and DO know all about the Bible and Christianity. I was raised in a fundie family and my father was a pastor.
edit on 12/11/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I am not a Christian. I am not preaching to you. I am not judging you.

You are actually proving people's opinion that many Christians have victim mentality.

All I did was showing you how Christians can interpret or take the Bible verses to denounce certain activities as sins. You are the one who claimed that there is no basis for this.

I was thinking about this and thought of the kids. Don't kids believe in Santa and his magical powers? Don't parents encourage them?

You can find plenty of verses in the Bible about this.

[edit]

I don't understand why it is so hard to accept that many non-Christians were once Christians and DO know all about the Bible and Christianity. I was raised in a fundie family and my father was a pastor.

You made it very clear Christians who celebrated Christmas were sinners

and you were preaching

and I have victim mentality according to you, so what

all you did was trumpet some fundy friends opinions you know nothing about and backed it up with

great comeback, I am the victim,
so show me where I play the victim in my posts, I asked Intrepid this same question

I asked for evidence and you quoted fundamentalists, actually you quoted nothing but opinion. No bible verses, no theology, nothing

and what next

Children and Santa, seriously?
Your now condemning Christian parents who play along with the Santa story as evil sinners.
Listen to yourself, your going backwards real fast.
they are children, let them be children.

So atheists want to take Santa from Christian kids so they dont sin, struth.

You are an atheist preaching at christians what you dont believe in, I cant believe it

and finaly you were a ministers child

a ministers son and you dont really understand christian teaching, if your father was a fundie I am not surprised, sadly you think you know more than you do, maybe dont in future

So atheists want to take Santa from Christian kids so they dont sin, struth I cant believe that
How about we all decide to let Christian parents do the bet for their kids, hopefully it will be founded on love and caring, Santa included if they wish

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Freedom of speech? All for it! Offended? Grow the hell up! I don't care who you are or what you believe in, but if you say you believe in the 1st, then how in the hell can you prevent someone from using theirs to offend you?

Absolutely agree!

Guess I will make enemies on both sides

Yep! Join the crowd. Both sides do it and neither one wants to admit it. But we see it on both sides all the time!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I don't really want to go through all this religious stuff, so you can. It's been years since I even listened to this guy. I'm not sure how legit you'll consider his points but hey.. here it is. Reasons why Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas according to scripture and opinion.

X-Mas: The Biggest Pagan Holiday/Holyday of the Year

II Corinthians 6:15-19: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.”

edit on 12-11-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well, that sums up many of the world's problems succinctly... HuffPo (or FOX News, or some other spectrum bible site) makes a blatantly ignorant error and immediately others propagate it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be an "atheist Muslim." Muslim is a religious ethos dependent on belief of a God. What HuffPo is claiming here is akin to selling freeze dried water or swimming across the desert... the two are incomprehensible together by their very definitions.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
If you are rhubarb and want to call yourself asparagus doesn't make it so. Atheism is a disbelief in a higher power.... including Allah. Therefore it's impossible to be a Muslim atheist. You ain't arguing with me.... you're arguing with logic.

Careful there, that type of sensible logic could easily be applied to issues like transgenderism, in which we are told the impossible is to be believed as reality because reasons.

There are ARAB Christians (usually Coptic Christians)
ARAB atheists
and ARAB Muslim
Hell, there are even Asian Muslims, Caucasian Muslims, African Muslims...
but you're 100% correct, it is as impossible to be an atheist Muslim as it is to be an atheist Christian.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Jesus stated that many who call themselves christian wont meet the benchmark that was set

Well I'm going to disagree with where you are trending here to some degree.

To me, a Christian is someone with a sincere and abiding belief and faith in Christ. To that end, you could have two Baptists on the pew this Sunday, both with identical doctrinal teaching, and one could be Christian and the other not. However, the only one who would truly know this is God (or Lord Jesus Christ himself), the ones who can read our hearts and minds and see our faith for what it is or isn't.

And to me, that is what Jesus means. There are many who call His name, but few who truly believe.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Well, that sums up many of the world's problems succinctly... HuffPo (or FOX News, or some other spectrum bible site) makes a blatantly ignorant error and immediately others propagate it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be an "atheist Muslim." Muslim is a religious ethos dependent on belief of a God. What HuffPo is claiming here is akin to selling freeze dried water or swimming across the desert... the two are incomprehensible together by their very definitions.

Actually, I did not say that.

I said there are atheists in the Muslim community.

Quote:

There have already been atheist billboards directed at and in support of atheists in the Muslim community.

Yes! There are atheists among the Muslims.

edit on 11-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

They feature a picture of Santa and the words, "Go ahead and skip church! Just be good for goodness sake. Happy holidays!"

So you would be perfectly fine with me making a billboard sign saying.

Go ahead and skip the mosque! Just be good for goodness sake. Just say no to Jihad'

Tis the silly season after all.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Why would I care?

Go ahead.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

I don't really want to go through all this religious stuff, so you can. It's been years since I even listened to this guy. I'm not sure how legit you'll consider his points but hey.. here it is. Reasons why Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas according to scripture and opinion.

X-Mas: The Biggest Pagan Holiday/Holyday of the Year

II Corinthians 6:15-19: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.”

Yeah, but nah, not really interested, I know the argument
Just a little surprised atheists around here are pushing forth their own beliefs pertaining to the bibles teaching when they clearly don't understand it and deny it
Corinthians 2 6 hey? Interesting verse, completely unrelatable though I guess you have to use something to reinforce your beliefs, though you don't believe of course

The letter from Paul to the Christians of Corinth had to deal with certain agendas, I don't think you fully understand the issues Paul was writing about, a little more knowledge in relation to the situation is needed or you could make some wrong assumptions

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
r reply to: ketsuko

I don't deny what you are saying or have a different view.
Many who call themselves Christian are not, many who go to church every Christmas and identify themselves as Christian probably are not
I wish more billboards that challenged these lukewarm Christians were placed everywhere

We should all reflect on our salvation daily

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
You don't have to go that far to prove their hypocrisy.

They will throw a conniption fit over a town having a Christmas tree and nativity scene, a couple days out of the years, but watch the excuses they come up with to support loud speakers all around the town blasting the Islamic call to prayer 5 times a day.

I don't pretend to be a lover of Islam or any other religion for the matter. My particular distaste for Islam stems from the PC crowd that rallies to protect any obstacles to the Islam practicing Muslim from being able to practice their religion, while creating complaints, and obstacles, to peoples of other religions which are often much less obtrusive.

And that bull crap excuse of separation of church and state, if they really believed their lies, than Islam wouldn't be allowed to be practiced in the US at all, because many that practice Islam, often creates conflict between what is their religious rights, and the rules of that are in place that must to followed by non-Muslims and non-Islam practicing Muslims.

No cries of separation and church and state when that happens.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Just a little surprised atheists around here are pushing forth their own beliefs pertaining to the bibles teaching when they clearly don't understand it and deny it

Typical remark from a believer.

Many, probably most, atheists came through religion.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
What's up Anne, took a little to much heat from saying Muslims atheists and now trying to deflect the attacks from those who challenged you to me

Muslim atheists, I don't care

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
What's up Anne, took a little to much heat from saying Muslims atheists and now trying to deflect the attacks from those who challenged you to me

Muslim atheists, I don't care

I was raised Christian. Many, probably most atheists come through religion.

I never said a Muslim is atheist. I said there are atheists among the Muslims.

I am not responsible for posters misinterpreting what I post.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Wow people are still harping about atheists in the Muslim communities. Ok so it's impossible for religious people to be atheists. We get it. Quit derailing the thread.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Where did I say that I believe that?

and you were preaching

LOL how can I be preaching to you when you said that I am an atheist who don't believe and understand the Bible?

and I have victim mentality according to you, so what

So you do admit it?

so show me where I play the victim in my posts

Your very own rant. You made up stuff about me. You made up some weird fantasy that people are out to attack you and your faith.

About Christmas, all I did was explain to you where the other poster got the idea that celebrating Christmas may be sinful according to some Christians.

So atheists want to take Santa from Christian kids so they dont sin, struth I cant believe that

This one is so pathetic. I have never said such thing. Please think for a minute. Do atheists believe in sin? No? Then reread your sentence and tell me how silly it is.

How about we all decide to let Christian parents do the bet for their kids, hopefully it will be founded on love and caring, Santa included if they wish

Again. Pathetic. Who is not letting them do that? Certainly not me.

I guess the billboard did it's intended goal (so they say) and brought butthurt Christians out of the woodwork.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join