It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboard asking people to skip church on Christmas stirs controversy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Anosognosia

It makes sense really. Christianity is the most popular religion in countries that have large populations of atheists, so of course that is going to be the main target. I just don't see other religions really attacked at all. Jews for the most part are off the table in general because of the risk of being labeled a bigot or anti-semitic. Muslims aren't known for reacting to criticism of their religion very well, so the risk of physical violence is always in the back of their minds.

Other religions are not as aggressive as Christianity. How often do you see Muslims (and Jews) preach at us? How often do you see them promote their 'values' in politics?

I am pretty sure if Muslims try even a little bit they will not be left out.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Anosognosia

I never said there is absolutely no criticism from atheists towards other religions.

That is what you implied. Read your own posts. How would you have interpreted them if you were me? That aside...

It makes sense really. Christianity is the most popular religion in countries that have large populations of atheists, so of course that is going to be the main target. I just don't see other religions really attacked at all. Jews for the most part are off the table in general because of the risk of being labeled a bigot or anti-semitic. Muslims aren't known for reacting to criticism of their religion very well, so the risk of physical violence is always in the back of their minds.

In Western civilization, Christianity is overwhelmingly the dominant religion, as well as the most aggressive. So it should come as no surprise in the west, that Christianity is the main target. It has been the oppressor for Millennia. Neither Judaism nor Islam knocks on doors, leaves flyers on mailboxes, preaches on street corners, or has had unofficial state sponsorship, and practically carte blanche to do whatever they want without government over sight.

Neither Judaism nor Islam are off the table for many atheists(anti-theists). Read my past posts. I criticize all three. Because they're all aggressive, elitist, religions with a violent past, and/or present.

Christians this day in age are for the most part very tolerant of criticism. So they are the obvious target of choice for atheists.

Mostly yes, in Western society. But don't be an atheist or witch in Africa. You'll get stoned to death by the Christians there.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else, but I have friends and family members who follow the same and different religions and those who follow none at all. We all get along wonderfully and none of us would go out of our way to put up a stupid billboard to purposely make someone upset. Does it make things any better?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I understand the animosity towards Christianity I really do, my point was simply that in Western society right now, attacking Christianity is what is popular.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Pretty sure 'Christmas' was originally Saturnalia.

Not 100% certain of this fact but I'd wager Christmas does not have its roots in anything Christian. Maybe the yoking up of Christianity with pagan celebrations. Interestingly enough, making celebrating Christmas sinful (according to scripture, as I understand).

Not saying you're a sinner if you celebrate what Christmas has become.

But you know.. sin. Sin is bad. Mmmmk.

ETA:

For a long time many Christians did not celebrate Easter either, for similar reasons. The origins of Easter are not Christian and there was a time when more people were familiar with this information.

Hail Ishtar!

edit on 12-10-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm sure the billboard asking Muslims to skip a holy day in their place of worship is on the way right?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Is there anything in this world that won't upset somebody?

I mean seriously.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I don't know about anyone else, but I have friends and family members who follow the same and different religions and those who follow none at all. We all get along wonderfully and none of us would go out of our way to put up a stupid billboard to purposely make someone upset. Does it make things any better?

My experience, exactly.

I really doubt we are as divided as we are "led" to believe. Real life doesn't reflect advertised life.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PresidentCamacho
I'm sure the billboard asking Muslims to skip a holy day in their place of worship is on the way right?

Don't bother, that point has been raised by others and subsequently buried by lingual gymnasts who choose not to properly aknowledge/address it.

This thread is all about butthurt Christians, don't you know?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Seriously? With the state of the US educational system most probably wouldn't know when a Muslim holy day was. And no desire to as well I would wager.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think the only way to defeat the new PC culture of outrage over anything, is to stop caring about everything.

In this case a bunch of atheists with a billboard, which in my opinion is only offensive if you're the type of person who's got absolutely no real problems in your life to deal with.

On one hand congratulations on having life figured out, on the other if #s going good why get yourself all bent outta shape over a freaking billboard some other jerk spent his money on.

Sheesh it's not like they burned down a church.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Don't bother, that point has been raised by others and subsequently buried by lingual gymnasts who choose not to properly aknowledge/address it.

Nope. It has been explained properly several times.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I wasn't talking about Christmas. I was talking about St. Nicholas.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Seriously? With the state of the US educational system most probably wouldn't know when a Muslim holy day was. And no desire to as well I would wager.

Muslim holy days are harder to pin down since they operate on a lunar calendar. It means their holy days float as compared to ours.
edit on 10-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: intrepid

Muslim holy days are harder to pin down since they operate on a lunar calendar. It means their holy days float as compared to ours.

Yes. I know.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Waiting for the

Mommy, why do I have to starve on Ramadan ... billboard.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Waiting for the

aMommy, why do I have to starve on Ramadan ... billboard.

Yeah! Why don't you do that when the time comes?

Besides there have been few anti Islam billboards.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Not 100% certain of this fact but I'd wager Christmas does not have its roots in anything Christian. Maybe the yoking up of Christianity with pagan celebrations. Interestingly enough, making celebrating Christmas sinful (according to scripture, as I understand).

Not saying you're a sinner if you celebrate what Christmas has become.

But you know.. sin. Sin is bad. Mmmmk.

Christmas does not have its roots in Christianity, simple

But to suggest Christians are sinners for celebrating christmas

You base this on what, educated guess, something you read, logic and reason?

I dont know how I could describe a non believer preaching his anti christmas message at chrisrtians

I just cant understand where you get this logic from

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Waiting for the

aMommy, why do I have to starve on Ramadan ... billboard.

Yeah! Why don't you do that when the time comes?

Besides there have been few anti Islam billboards.

It would be the equivalent for this billboard for the atheists to do.

Tell Christians to skip church on one of their more holy celebrations, and tell the Muslims to skip fasting during one of their most sacred holidays. Same thing. I'm guessing they won't bother though.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

But to suggest Christians are sinners for celebrating christmas

You base this on what, educated guess, something you read, logic and reason?

Um excuse me. The Bible forbids pagan worship.

Some Christians do not celebrate Christmas for this reason.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join