It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboard asking people to skip church on Christmas stirs controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Another attack on Christianity, seems endless

Why isn't their a billboard saying skip the mosque, the temple as well?
It's not ok politically to offend any religious people but Christians these days

this world is becoming stranger by the day, no wonder there is a rise in fundamentalism

How is this an attack on Christianity? It doesn't say skip what church. I am Wiccan and we usually do our thing in a private home or often the Unitarian church gives us free space. But I don't have to do anything on Christmas or Yule but spend it with my family

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Baldryck

Maybe someone should wallpaper it with red Starbucks cups?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
I find it amusing atheists are using a being that does not exist (Santa) to promote not going to church to worship another being that does not exist.

I believe in Santa!!!

I talk about this with my mother. She is a sort of practicing Cathiolic, no church though and I am Wiccan.

So many years there has been no money, as the bills were paid at the beginning of the month. I worried and worried and worried that I wouldn't have Christmas dinner or a tree (for my daughter). Time after time....money has appeared from almost nowhere! A scratch card win for $800. A settlement check from a company i dealt with years ago. An unexpected work bonus.

My mother describes that this happened to her when I was little and when my brother was little and she was in law school.

My mother says my grandmother- who barely scraped along with 5 children and a drunken husband that often 'disappeared'..that Christmas ALWAYS happened, somehow, some way. Some unexpected windfall always occurred.

At about 11 my daughter would yell at me and say "Why did you lie to me? Santa isn't real?"

To this day, I tell her "I wasn't lying. He is real."

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

What win ?

As a Deist who celebrates Christmas purely for nostalgic/family reasons , this does not offend me . Hell , I know many atheists that celebrate Chtistmas for the same reason , my own brother being one . But I must ask , why are atheists so bothered by Christians going to church on Christmas ?

Does someone being a Christian offend them so that they have to create billboards ? Or does it just give you that warm fuzzy feeling ?

And to the others claiming people are offended , a couple of or few people bitching on an internet forum is considered "Christians being offended"? Gives you a little thrill to take pop shots at Christians doesn't it ? But others (Muslims) are off limits right ?

Just trying to figure out who may be disparaged and who we must defend . I do not want to rile up the do gooding white knights by offending the wrong group .
edit on 10-12-2015 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2015 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: intrepid

Another attack on Christianity, seems endless

Why isn't their a billboard saying skip the mosque, the temple as well?
It's not ok politically to offend any religious people but Christians these days

this world is becoming stranger by the day, no wonder there is a rise in fundamentalism

The last I looked Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, etc don't celebrate Christmas. But don't let that stand in the way of a good pity party.

Didn't know they didn't, isn't Christmas just about Santa and happy holidays, know plenty of other religions who partake in festivities

You should do a little research on Christmas. It's as Christian as Buddha.

Just like your comment "pity party", it's all about you trying to feel superior by putting others down.
The sad thing is you have to put others down to make yourself feel good.
I am guessing an inferiority complex, self loathing and distant parents.

Nope. Feeling fine. Just sick of "They're attacking me...." crap. That's what one relies on when logic doesn't work.

Ok thanks o great oracle
I do know the history of Christmas
What bothers me is the us and them nature of the divide in an already divided community

These things don't help heal animosity they cause animosity

This is an attack on christianity, you can pretend it's not.
Does it offend me, no, it's what I expect

Let me explain the issue I have

Atheist fundamentalist offend Christian fundamentalist, they are both already angry people.
The divide grows and extremist groups spring up, retaliation and violence ensues

Don't need to be Nostradamus to predict the outcome.
Both sides should just respect each other's choice, antagonizing people only causes problems

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
Because ATS would be bottled neck into a complete shut down, the media would have 24 hr coverage with reporters on site for each billboard, shutting down traffic, and CAIR would be handing out law suits to anyone that was involved in making, and hanging the billboard.

edit on 10-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Correction.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh My God, don't get me started on the stupid Starbucks cups thing that only one person on youtube was outraged about. Talk about marketing success on Starbucks part. They were geniuses on that one.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Wow, talk about a group I wouldn't want to influence me.

They sure do a lot of pontificating for people that don't believe in God.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Says the one that called me insecure and "oracle"? Sounds like it bothers you imo.
To the rest of your post..... I agree.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Of course, what I also find sort of funny is that Santa Claus has his roots in St. Nicholas the Bishop of Myra.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Of course, what I also find sort of funny is that Santa Claus has his roots in St. Nicholas the Bishop of Myra.

I wanted to say I love the new Avatar!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
One person said they should have "worded it differently"...
How's that for PC?

Merry Christmas, everyone.

m.aol.com...

Well, they should have worded it differently. PC or not, that's my opinion, too. It should have simply said, "Just be good, for goodness sake."

"Church" has no place on an atheist billboard. It's divisive. As an atheist myself, I just live my life without religion. It's never about converting anyone else or criticizing religions. I think some atheist groups do a real disservice to themselves by pitting themselves against religious folks. The message of 'being good for the sake of being good' was totally lost because they had to get their 'dig' in.

edit on 10-12-2015 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

We celebrate the religious aspect of Christmas at home as we feel that family is very much part of the celebration - you know, Father/Son, as well as Salvation - so skipping church is not an issue.

The idea is the temptation to celebrate in a secular manner rather than your religious one if you are someone who does not have the discipline to celebrate your faith on your own.

This doesn't bother me in that it's a billboard and no one should give an advertisement that much power in their life, but I do think the OP got his reading of the billboard's language a bit wrong.

seriously, I don't think a person who goes to church A handful of times a year is really a Christian anyway. Going to church doesn't make a person a Christian.
It would be better if those people didn't go, better if they actually reflected on their own lives and stopped kidding themselves.
In reality the billboard asks a person to reflect on their own faith, to measure up their motives and reasons, to decide their direction in life.
That's a good message, in fact that's a Christian message

My issue is with the angst and animosity that the message conveys, the us and them attitude it encourages

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Christmas itself is a Christian adaptation of the Roman festival of Saturnalia. In reality there is very little "Christ" in Christmas.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Mrrrrry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Oh, I understand that there is plenty of pagan symbolism and ritual involved, but if you were atheists looking to lure the religious away from their faith, don't you think you would have done better in your choice than a symbol of Christmas that really goes back to Christian roots in the end despite its mainstream secularizing?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Oh, I understand that there is plenty of pagan symbolism and ritual involved, but if you were atheists looking to lure the religious away from their faith, don't you think you would have done better in your choice than a symbol of Christmas that really goes back to Christian roots in the end despite its mainstream secularizing?

I lived it. I was a JW until about 30 years ago.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

This advertisement has a single purpose, to cause a negative reaction.

That's what it seems like to me as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

This advertisement has a single purpose, to cause a negative reaction.

That's what it seems like to me as well.

Same here...... so why react? The solution seems simple to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Which symbol is that?

Oh, and Merry Christmas and a Blessed Yule back at ya.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join