It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convince me that Earth isn't flat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherdaytoday
Leo, a giraffe cannot discuss physics with a fish. There are different levels of intelligence. This is a wrong place to bring up this topic. Many here cannot fathom being misguided for so long that they refuse to accept the truth or are (very transparently) part of the schtick.
The earth is not a spinning ball. Never was.
A.

Show me the end, and I will believe you.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
The Earth is an oblate.

That was the word I was searching my brain for. ty.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA
Like you say,it's good to be inquisitive,so that was my only reason for creating this post. It's not like I believe that Earth is flat. Like most of the human population I was taught that it's round, so obviously the idea of the flat model doesn't work for me,and yes I know that it's been scientifically proven and all of that...and like you,I asked myself the same question "How is it possible that in the year 2015 Flat Earth Theory is still a thing?"

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anotherdaytoday
What are your personal arguements for this?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: leopayaso1987
Are there definitive,testable,real proofs that Earth is round?

Yes, there are images of apparent stellar motions which is great evidence.
By apparent I mean from our perspective standing on the Earth since we are the ones moving and not the stars. Stars viewed near the equator during equinox shows motions from East to West. The further away from the equator you are will reveal a circular motion that culminates into a northern or center point.
Here are some Image Examples.

You can see this for yourself if you have the time and are at a high enough (or low enough) latitude during the right season. Notice how the constellation Orion, for example, is facing down in the East during stellar rise and is leaning back to the West during stellar setting. The crescent Moon will also show this apparent motion. This motion is due to the spherical nature of the Earth, at least it works out geometrically very nicely which in a flat Earth theory it does not.

You could also use vertical poles placed around different locations and measure their shadow at certain times. This is much more complicated yet reveals that the Earth is curved. Here is A Link explaining this more.
edit on 12/10/2015 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Thanks, you gave him the answer to my post lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
To be honest I'm not very well informed on the Hollow Earth Theory. I doubt that it's true,but still a very intersting idea.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Does the moon sometimes look like a crescent in the night sky? You know why that is? It's a shadow of something, I'll let you guess what.

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: leopayaso1987

That's not caused by the Earths shadow, it's caused by the moons position relative to the Earth and Sun. Otherwise, the "gibbous" phases wouldn't appear round, they would look like someone had taken a bite out of them.

www.moonconnection.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

a reply to: opethPA
"How is it possible that in the year 2015 Flat Earth Theory is still a thing?"

For money. People make money off selling this lie, and there are actually people out there stupid enough to not only believe it but give money for more info on it...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ApparentlyStupid
So,hypothetically,if It were possible and I wanted to,tomorrow I could pack up my bag and freely go and explore all of that territory?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
That's not quite correct. The Moon shadow we see during waxing and waning is due to the curvature of the Moon. The Earth's shadow on the Moon can only be seen during rare Lunar eclipses. I am assuming that your image shows a normal crescent Moon and not a Lunar eclipse.

edit on 12/10/2015 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino
Thanks for the reply. The example with the Orion constellation and the moon was really good,I understand what you mean.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Hmm good question. I imagine the logistics would be a nightmare but yeah, I haven't seen anything to suggest you couldn't.

check this out ---> www.coolantarctica.com...
edit on 10-12-2015 by ApparentlyStupid because: Found evidence to support my statement

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Go to the ocean beach. Watch a sailboat come toward you.

A. If the earth were flat, you'd see a small ship get larger over time.

B. If the earth were round, you'd see the tip of the mast first, then the whole mast, then the superstructure of the ship, then the whole ship.

What do you see?

B.

Therefore the earth is round.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So...does anyone actually "own" Antarctica or any part of it's territory?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Is it true that there is some sort of treaty between many countries that block air traffic over Antartcica,or something along those lines?

No, it is just inconvenient to fly over it enroute from any where to anywhere else.

For instance we fly over the north pole all the time, because it is shorter than flying around the globe from russia to the US from moscow.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Thanks,I'll remember your answer,it's really easy to understand and straight forward.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Hi everyone. I've recently started to watch some videos on Youtube about the Flat Earth theory. Some of them seem more plausible than others...

Plausible?

Are there definitive,testable,real proofs that Earth is round?

Surely you are joking?

I have intermidiate to good understanding of maths,physics and geometry.

Nope. You disproved that with your above statements.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ApparentlyStupid
I just saw now that you posted that website link in your previous post. I gave it a look,but it seems like they were talking more about expeditions wich I assume requires some sort of oraganization and rules. Thanks anyway,I'll have a look tomorrow see if I can find anything in specific or maybe if someone already dit that?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

If you wanted to explore France you would have to abide by some rules and regs to get there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join