It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convince me that Earth isn't flat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I've recently started to watch some videos on Youtube about the Flat Earth theory. Some of them seem more plausible than others... I have to say some of the arguements the suporters bring seem intriguing. Is it true that we don't have recent pictures of Earth from space? I mean...with the amount of satelites ,probes,telescopes,etc. ...nobody thought of looking back at Earth and take some HD pictures. I'd personally love to have limitless access to a live feed of Earth and being able to see it from any angle imaginable. Doesn't the techonology to make some really good cameras able to work from space already exist? Is it true that airplanes or submarines,long train tracks don't take in consideration the curvature of the planet? Are there definitive,testable,real proofs that Earth is round? I'm not here to defend or atack any position,neither that Earth is round or flat. I have intermidiate to good understanding of maths,physics and geometry. I'm definitely not a science geek or some genius...so please,if possible,layout your arguements using concepts and aspects relatively easy to understand for a guy like me.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: leopayaso1987

Because you don't fall off the edge if you keep travelling.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Look out your window, can you see China?

link   

If you chose to believe the world is flat, you deserve to live life that way.

If you look at other celestial bodies, you notice they all have a strange similarity to them. I'll let you decide what that is.

And lastly, if the Earth is flat, where is the ends at? Why has nobody EVER shown a picture of any of the sides?

link   
Because we have thousands of photos and videos from ORBIT?

And because it has been scientifically proven by every physicist and mathematician currently alive?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is it true that there is some sort of treaty between many countries that block air traffic over Antartcica,or something along those lines?

link   

Flat Earth Theory, brought to you by YouTube.

link   
Go to the beach, lie down and view the curved horizon.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I love the flat earth debate. We should always be open to the idea that we may be wrong about concepts we take for granted. I have 2 experiments for ya. 1) Lay on the ground and watch the sun set. when you can't see it anymore, stand up. 2) Have a friend stand at the bottom of a tall building with clear line of sight to the horizon. You stand at the top of said tall building. While on the phone with your friend compare the timing of the apparent sunset.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Earth is an oblate.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Does the moon sometimes look like a crescent in the night sky? You know why that is? It's a shadow of something, I'll let you guess what.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ApparentlyStupid
Thanks,that's something very simple and easy to do,I'll definitely give those a try

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: leopayaso1987
Is it true that there is some sort of treaty between many countries that block air traffic over Antartcica,or something along those lines?

NO. but there are FAA safety guidelines in regard to it for fuel temperature, plans for stranded passengers in an emergency, etc.

wiki

edit on 10-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
How is it possible that in the year 2015 Flat Earth Theory is still a thing?
I mean it's great being inquisitive and all but honestly I can't believe anyone , other than YouTube nutters, gives this any credence.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
I'm not a native British citizen neither a US citizen,so I'm not that familiar with a lot of abreviations,what does FAA stand for?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Correct.

The ancient Greeks first came up with the idea that the world was round. By the 1500s, almost no one believed the world was flat. I think Columbus thought it to be pear shaped. It is actually a little wider at the equator, but still close enough to be called spherical or round.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Leo, a giraffe cannot discuss physics with a fish. There are different levels of intelligence. This is a wrong place to bring up this topic. Many here cannot fathom being misguided for so long that they refuse to accept the truth or are (very transparently) part of the schtick.
The earth is not a spinning ball. Never was.
A.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't believe the Earth is flat, but there are a lot of people that believe the Earth is hollow and I am not sure about that one yet. What do you think? Of course if it is hollow it would also have to be...you know...round.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Quoted from en.wikipedia.org...
The Antarctic Treaty and related agreements, collectively known as the Antarctic Treaty System (ATS), regulate international relations with respect to Antarctica, Earth's only continent without a native human population. For the purposes of the treaty system, Antarctica is defined as all of the land and ice shelves south of 60°S latitude. The treaty, entering into force in 1961 and as of 2015 having 53 parties,[2] sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation and bans military activity on that continent.

It isn't about barring flights but a treaty does exist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join