It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut Governor To Block People On Watch Lists From Buying Guns:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
a reply to: Flatfish

Not trying to be argumentative but the seeming disconnect between your experience and your subsequent opinion is astonishing. Really. I am amazed.

I agree the no-fly lists are imperfect to say the least. Heck the ACLU has argued for years they are arbitrary and unjust with no due process. The intent of the legislation may be sound but the bureaucratic execution is pathetic.

Most folks do not want guns (or almost anything) in the hands of dangerous people but why, oh why do we want to use the no-fly list as the determinant? It's ripe for fraud, abuse, and overstretch. Not the right tool for the job.

This won't be the first time I've disagreed with the ACLU.

While it may not be the perfect tool, (and nothing is) it's what we currently have in place and there's nothing stopping us from making improvements. Both in the way it's compiled & administered and the manner in which appeals are handled.

No one is saying they're against making that list as infallible as possible with every means at our disposal.

All I'm saying is that it make sense that once someone has been determined to be a large enough threat to themselves or others that we don't allow them to fly, it's probably not a good idea to allow them to buy guns either.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What prevents Obamy from announcing an Executive Order and using his Mighty Pen to put a group, association, or organization on that list at will?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If someone can arbitrarily place you on a list, and by default, you lose any or all rights, isn't that tyranny?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is far from "Common Sense", this is a violation of constitutional rights to due process. It's nothing but a load of crap claiming it's to stop "terrorist". It would be the IRS targeting tea party groups on steroids.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
O is a constitutional lawyer and is playing a shell game with Americans or playing a sleight of hand trick. Watch out for the No-Fly List Game. It's a cover for something else. It needs to have some strong parameters with congressional oversight at least.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I could imagine all sorts of "new" criteria for being on the "list". Voting history, FOID card, on line opinions. . . .

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's a crazy thought for everyone who wants this; imagine a Ted Cruz putting you on a list for having extreme leftist ideologies, and you get to lose your rights.

But wouldn't we be so much safer?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Excellent, comparing this to the asset forfeiture laws! That's exactly what this is; a government excuse to steal from people. It's always about power and control, and against freedom.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It's kind of funny, or I thought it was funny back in the day.

One of the Twisted Metal games had an ending sequence where the cop wanted the world to be at peace or something of that nature. Then you see all of the cops floating in space...

That is kind of the situation that we are in now. We all just want it to end, but nobody wants to admit what has to happen to make it a reality. The world seems to really dislike the US at the moment, and rightfully so. So few of us see through the media induced fear frenzy.

Of those who see through it, even fewer are willing to do what is necessary to put an end to the blight of the world.

I will tell you, the first and biggest step the American People could take to setting things right would be to march on DC and lay waste to it. If we don't, it is game over for us as a people. Our leaders are our worst enemy, for it is they who make enemies of the rest of the rational world. If we just stood up, we could be a great nation again. It is hardship. It means losing everything we have, which is and illusion so few are willing to see past.

I hate the state of everything. I would die to change it, but not to the point of martyrdom. Lone acts of defiance are useless against the machine. These things require organization, numbers, time, patience, and fortitude.

DC is an endangered species by design. The leaders that are there now, and the up and coming dung-heap of choices are all meant to be where they are to instigate our once great country to an end game that means the death of us all.

It's all about who is willing to make the first move. If the people of the States don't act, an outside country will. What goes around comes around, and we are overdo for a good Nuclear atonement.

In the end, I'm just talking to a bunch of morons who would rather verbally bicker among themselves than physically confront the real problem here.

The world isn't screwed up, we are... If we don't fix it, the world will.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

You are a slave who would do anything they told you and for that fact, if you were around me, i would consider you a threat to me and my families safety and you would be very uncomfortable to say the least.

check yourself

edit on 11-12-2015 by benwyatt because: don't want people to jump this guy so toned down

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I have been at this for some time, but i have never seen so many awake people around me.

we are winning, but like you said, there are outside interests watching, and DC knows it.

they have asked them to watch because we all know they will bring the world to an end before they relinquish their power.

It is either WW3 or the Second American Revolution and i haven't met any other people around here doing anything but whining and lashing out at who or what ever is closest.

Personally, they can start all the wars, drafts, and foreign invasions they want.......... Our true fight is here first.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Horrible idea...

Loss of due process based on the decision of a bureaucrat is an insane idea.. pretty much everyone complains about how incompetent the government is, yet they think the govt doing this is a good idea... mind boggling.

It astonishes me that people will even consider something like this..

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Good idea in practise but the US watch list? lkoads of people on it.
6 year old girls, old ladies all who just questioned the government lol.

www.mintpressnews.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

There is a huge difference between "in and out of mental hospitals" and a name on a list. Do you know how easy it is to be put on a watch list?
One man was put on it because of where he went on a cruise! You can be put on it for nothing more than a Tweet. And....just being a member of this site could do it.
Yeah, we better not speak our minds, Big Brother is watching.

edit on 11-12-2015 by DAVID64 because: correction

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: benwyatt

You are a slave who would do anything they told you and for that fact, if you were around me, i would consider you a threat to me and my families safety and you would be very uncomfortable to say the least.

check yourself

Make no mistake about it, I'm more than comfortable being your perceived boogie-man.

Turn around, I'm right on your six!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I agree with your disagreement. And your points, which are quite similar to ones I've been making.

If the list is broken...fix it.

One only needs to ask what the alternative is to see that something needs to happen.

All those decrying their potential or possible loss of rights also aren't coming up with any better solutions or ideas for same...because, you know, it's much better to just derail discussions or progress by filling up the echo chamber with the same old same old.

State governments can already set their own gun laws, so good for this state for expanding upon this on their own.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

There is a huge difference between "in and out of mental hospitals" and a name on a list. Do you know how easy it is to be put on a watch list?
One man was put on it because of where he went on a cruise! You can be put on it for nothing more than a Tweet. And....just being a member of this site could do it.
Yeah, we better not speak our minds, Big Brother is watching.

Did everyone on that cruise get put on the list? No? I didn't think so.

Maybe, just maybe it was more than the cruise that caused that person to be listed.

Is everyone who's a member of this site get put on the list? No? I didn't think so.

I'm a member of ATS, I speak my mind and I'm not on the no-fly list. Go figure!

With the exception of duplications and clerical errors, I'd just bet there's a pretty good reason for every one of those names on the list.

One thing is for damn sure, I trust those tasked with compiling the list a helluva lot more than I do your opinion of who should and shouldn't be on it.

edit on 11-12-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If a person is THAT much of a terrorist threat, arrest that person. Don't place him on a list. If law enforcement has enough evidence, then arrest the person.

But to remove rights because of a suspicion? Tyranny.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
If a person is THAT much of a terrorist threat, arrest that person. Don't place him on a list. If law enforcement has enough evidence, then arrest the person.

But to remove rights because of a suspicion? Tyranny.

Yeah...right. Because we should only address terrorism after it happens.

Might as well ax all the counter-terrorism organizations or maybe just rename them the blood mop-up squads.
edit on 12/11/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

I agree with your disagreement. And your points, which are quite similar to ones I've been making.

If the list is broken...fix it.

One only needs to ask what the alternative is to see that something needs to happen.

All those decrying their potential or possible loss of rights also aren't coming up with any better solutions or ideas for same...because, you know, it's much better to just derail discussions or progress by filling up the echo chamber with the same old same old.

State governments can already set their own gun laws, so good for this state for expanding upon this on their own.

Yeah, that's what I said; If the list has flaws, fix it!

I also find it odd that many of the very same people would be more than happy to create a "list" comprised of 1.5 billion people, based solely on their religious ideology and deny them entry into this country.

But God forbid we utilize an existing list of people who are known to be threats to the safety of themselves or others and put them on a no-fly list or restrict their ability to buy guns.

Hypocrites Extraordinaire!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join