It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Officials: Iran Retreating From Syria Fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Western Officials: Iran Retreating From Syria Fight

Iran is beginning to withdraw its elite fighters from the Russian-led military campaign in Syria, according to U.S. and other Western military officials, suggesting a fissure in what President Barack Obama derided last month as a "coalition of two."

U.S. officials tell me they are seeing significant numbers of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps troops retreat from the Syrian combat zone in recent weeks, following the deaths and wounding of some of top officers in a campaign to retake Idlib Province and other areas lost this year to opposition forces supported by the West and Gulf Arab States. As a result, the Russian-initiated offensive that was launched in September seems to be losing an important ally.

On Friday at the Saban Forum at the Brookings Institution, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said that Russia's initial plan was to take back Idlib and other cities that had fallen under rebel control within three months. "It’s not going to happen because of the military difficulties," he said, adding that the campaign to date looked to be a "failure." He cited the "incompetence" of Syria's army as well as "the lack of determination of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps."

This is a surprising turn of events. A number of Western media outlets reported this fall that Qassem Suleimani, the leader of Iran's elite Quds Force, and Russia's defense ministry had negotiated an infusion of Iranian forces into Syria over the summer, shortly after the conclusion of the nuclear negotiations between Iran and six other world powers. That surge was supposed to change the tide of the Syrian war that the dictator Bashar al-Assad was losing, as more of his territory fell to a coalition of rebels supported by the U.S., Saudi Arabia, Qatar and others.

In October, the Wall Street Journal reported on experts' assessments there more than 7,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps members and other militia volunteers were aiding the Syrian regime. In late October, General Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified there were 2,000 Iranian troops in Syria leading the fight to save Assad.

Clink link for remainder of article...

An interesting read.. If accurate I wonder what this means for Russia. Will the cost of keeping Assad in power be to great or will Putin cut off his nose to spite his face by holding onto the illusion he has something to prove to the west, even if it destroys him / russia, by attaching themselves to Assad, who is now rearranging deck chairs on the titanic?

Thoughts?
edit on 10-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I'm not really surprised. This type of war includes lots of air power and door to door fighting to take back these places. The Syrian army lacks the resolve of ISIS. We need Muslim countries to step up and lead a ground offensive but we all know thats not gonna happen.

edit on 10-12-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Iranians are probably just falling back into Iraq to prepare to solidify it's base there. Iran wants Russia to tame Syria...their real interests lie in occupying a large contiguous corridor through Iraq, connecting Syria and Iran.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
THis is not what i have heard. What Iran have said is that they will pull out of the Syrian pease talks if nothing constructive is going to take Place.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

Iran May Withdraw From Syria Peace Talks

* - IRGC pulls back in Syria
* - Is Hizbullah about to Withdraw from Syria?
* - Western Officials: Iran Retreating From Syria Fight

Iran called for the removal of foreign forces from Syria and then got called out over Hizbullah forces being involved.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
And why we have the totally opposite news?

the link have an auto translate option, pick your flag under the main title and picture.

link

we have interesting news, but there is no topic appropriate to accommodate them. We should have one labeled as : EVERYTHING about Syria, to do the job done.

I think the news are a bit confused, because we do have a similar news, not for IRAN, but fanatic islamists instead! They gather signatures to withdraw from the war. So maybe your western officials, call fanatic islamists as iranians.
link
edit on 10-12-2015 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This is likely US/NATO propaganda

“Western officials”

Anything out of the “Western Officials”

Is officially a lie

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

it smells like that, read my prev comment with links.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

How is it seemingly every Arab nation's Army can't fight but rag tag ISIS and other anti Assad forces can? To be honest, I'm surprised the Iranian Revolutionary Guard isn't performing as expected. Considering how potent a force Hezbollah is, I would have expected Iran's cream of the crop to be better. Guess they are all talk and little action. Iran is a paper Tiger I guess.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

BEIRUT – Iran is preparing to deploy two fighter jet squadrons to Syria to conduct strikes on behalf of the Bashar al-Assad regime, according to a Kuwaiti daily with close access to Moscow’s military intervention in the war-torn country.

“The Iranian participation [in the Syrian conflict] is headed for more advancement with preparation for the arrival of two fleets of Iranian planes,” sources in the Damascus joint operations room of the “4+1” military coalition of Russia, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Hezbollah told Al-Rai's newspaper’s chief international correspondent, Elijah J. Magnier.

mobile.mmedia.me...
edit on 10-12-2015 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

How is it seemingly every Arab nation's Army can't fight but rag tag ISIS and other anti Assad forces can

Because putting boots on the ground from an Arab country would not work well when the main players don't play well together.

Iran and most Arab countries don't get along well enough to fight with each other, without fighting each other.

To be honest, I'm surprised the Iranian Revolutionary Guard isn't performing as expected.

Why they aren't exactly battle hardened like the other major players in Syria, such as Russia and the US.

Considering how potent a force Hezbollah is, I would have expected Iran's cream of the crop to be better. Guess they are all talk and little action. Iran is a paper Tiger I guess.

They are good, but training gets you only so much until your actually fighting for real when things don't actually go the way you trained for it. Especially fighting those who have nothing to lose.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Why don't we just admit that most mainstream media is propaganda? Why no western reporting on the religious cleansing ongoing In Egypt? Definitely not a good time to be a Christian in the Arab world.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Has anyone considered that maybe things have gotten to the point that Putin is considering Nukes?

He did say that he 'hoped' he wouldn't have to use them in Syria just the other day. Which obviously means he is thinking about it.

www.independent.co.uk... tml

And no , I haven't quoted RT X

edit on 10-12-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Iran May Withdraw From Syria Peace Talks

* - IRGC pulls back in Syria
* - Is Hizbullah about to Withdraw from Syria?
* - Western Officials: Iran Retreating From Syria Fight

Iran called for the removal of foreign forces from Syria and then got called out over Hizbullah forces being involved.

I will believe it when i hear it from the Iranian government. So far they have not mentioned anything about pulling out.

This would also be a type of News the US government would issue as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I doubt he would have support from other countries in using nukes and if he did use them I think it would further isolate Russia while pushing other countries, like Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic nations etch to obtain there own. The mindset being Putin is willing to use nukes on a non state actor who doesn't have nukes themselves.

It would be a very tough sell and the damage to civilians would be very high.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I doubt he would have support from other countries in using nukes and if he did use them I think it would further isolate Russia while pushing other countries, like Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic nations etch to obtain there own. The mindset being Putin is willing to use nukes on a non state actor who doesn't have nukes themselves.

It would be a very tough sell and the damage to civilians would be very high.

Well, to understand this you have to sort of put the fight against ISIS to the side. Because the war in Syria is not about ISIS. It is about who controlls Syria.

On one side you have Russia supporting the Assad Regime, On the other side you have the US supporting a small fraction of the Syrian rebels. The last number of Syrian rebels who passed US selections were 4 or 5 individuals.

The US wants to create a force of rebels who want to fight against ISIS "first". These are Ashton Carters own Words.
HE wants to create a rebel force of about 7000 menn to fight ISIS.

7000 Syrian rebels wont be enough to take out a 30 000+- strong ISIS ground force. But a 37 000 + rebels force would put up a great force against Assads forces, and the Russian campain. EDIT: Today Russia said that ISIS could be as lage as 60 000 menn. That means since the US operation ISIS have grown from 30 000 men to 60 000 men. Do you see where this is going?

Russia who supports Assad wont let this happen. Putin will not lett the US put these rebels on the Battlefield in Syria. (The US have more than once accused Russia of Bombing US supported rebels).

Putin said that he hoped that the situation in Syria would not force him to use nucklear weapons. If Russia go to the step of useing nucklear weapons in Syria, it will be against US interests in Northern Syria and Iraq.

But its way to early to describe the senario since it is not come that far yet. Russia still have a very good momentum so there is no reason for Putin to use these types of weapons right now.

top topics

join