It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Sales: White House to seek expanded background checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The gun show loop hole, and on line sales 'without' a background check is an absolute LIE. According to the Gun control ACt of 1968

Where it clearly says:

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA or GCA68) is a U.S. federal law that regulates the firearms industry and firearms owners. It primarily focuses on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except among licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers.

Gun Control Act

An on line purchase is interstate commerce by law it has to be shipped to a FFL. That's a Federal Firearm Licensed Dealer. Where a background check by law is performed BEFORE pickup. Pass it. Pay the man. Don't pass it ? Well you don't get it.

As per the Brady Law.

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Pub.L. 103–159, 107 Stat. 1536, enacted November 30, 1993), often referred to as the Brady Act and commonly called the Brady Bill,[1][2] is an Act of the United States Congress that mandated federal background checks on firearm purchasers in the United States, and imposed a five-day waiting period on purchases, until the NICS system was implemented in 1998.

Brady :Law

How to buy a gun online

Time for the main event:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama's advisers are finalizing a proposal that would expand background checks on gun sales without congressional approval.

After the mass shooting in Roseburg, Oregon, Obama said his team was looking for ways to tighten gun laws without a vote in Congress. White House officials have said they're exploring closing the so-called "gun show loophole" that allows people to buy weapons at gun shows and online without a background check.

AP

How they got their guns.

The vast majority of guns used in 15 recent mass shootings, including at least two of the guns used in the San Bernardino attack, were bought legally and with a federal background check

And last, but not least!

Gamechanger: Celebrities join Obama in reminding America that they oppose gun violence

The full court press has begun.

Facts are of little consequence, and don't mean anything.

The last step in a Orwellian society. Get rid of the guns.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We already lost this ability in New Jersey as there are no gun shows.

There are still plenty of criminals with guns as evidenced by the murder which happened two blocks from my house last year.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I oppose gun violence, but I think we should be allowed to own guns if we want to. That right does not give us the right to scare people by carrying a rifle through town though. Unless, of course, it is during deer hunting season.

Responsible and sane gunowners are not a problem. It is the ones that are a little off and the criminals that are the problem. The little off and criminals aren't going to give their guns to the government, only the good gunowners will relinquish their weapons. The ones that will use guns for good will loose their guns. They will have to triple the police force to make up for that.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Shouldn't it actually be called the gun sale loop hole rather than the gun show? I mean if Jim down the street wanted to sell shotguns out in some alley somewhere, anybody could purchase his guns without being required to show I.D or any background checks if the dealer so chose.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

Shouldn't it actually be called the gun sale loop hole rather than the gun show? I mean if Jim down the street wanted to sell shotguns out in some alley somewhere, anybody could purchase his guns without being required to show I.D or any background checks if the dealer so chose.

Not in CA or many other states that require ALL private party transfer of firearms be handled by a licnsed FFL Dealer required to perform a background check.

And all states ban black market gun sales as an underground business as you use in your example.
edit on 10-12-2015 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I wonder if a group of gun owners organized an "impromptu" gun sale through social media or Craigslist -- if any "rules" would really apply.

Where I live I can just hand cash to someone and they can hand me a gun. I've seen it many times. What's to stop a handful of guys who want to clear out room in the gun safes from just congregating at one spot and doing the same?

*edit
Just "handing cash for a gun" isn't a smart thing to do. You could be purchasing a firearm used in a crime. It's not a smart thing to do -- but people do it anyway. I've seen classified ads for guns in the newspaper here as well. I doubt they do any background checks considering is private individual to private individual. You may or may not meet up with someone who even knows what a bill of sale is, or is willing to give you one.
edit on 10-12-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Facts are nothing to the commies. You could show all the facts in the world, and you would still be a racist to them or a phobia of some kind.. There is no loop hole.

lib logic
blame all gun owners for the crime of 1 gun owner = yes
blame all muslims for the terrorist ways of 1 million = no

extensive background checks on Americans to buy a gun = yes
extensive background checks on muslims to enter the U.S. = no

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: miconATSrender

Blame 1.4 billion Muslims for the actions of few hundred involved in terror attacks on American soil in the last 100 years?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Buying from a licensed dealer is really only common sense if you don't know each other .
You could find yourself with a gun with crimes on it THEN where would you be. Gun dealers are picky ,in gun shows they are clickish. I haven't been to a show without background SOP FBI checks Texas,Colorado,nothing.I have bought and traded with friends before my state made it illegal but I know them well enough to personally trust them as well.

link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I wonder if a group of gun owners organized an "impromptu" gun sale through social media or Craigslist -- if any "rules" would really apply.

That is a non issue.

Because none of the mass shooters used either means to acquire their weapons.

link   
Chip, chip, chipping away at your 2nd amendment right, until that right becomes a "privilege". Then only the privileged and the criminal will have a gun.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: miconATSrender

Blame 1.4 billion Muslims for the actions of few hundred involved in terror attacks on American soil in the last 100 years?

They have no problem blaming gun owners for the actions of a few.

Peoples heads would really explode if muslims were treated like gun owners.

And make them ask the state for permission, and after passing a background check they might get to practice their religion.
edit on 10-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

That doesn't stop people from doing it though.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Meh, I don't think they'll get away with disarming the US that easily. It'll happen on Hilary's watch and the first thing they'll do of any significance is go after the ammo. They'll slap a $5.00 a bullet Federal tax on all ammo and that'll do for firearms what the cigarrette tax did for smoking.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes, but Spanky in the White House isn't talking about open or concealed carry with his new phone and pen legislations.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Someone suggested that all the hoops gun owners jump through to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights ought to be put in place before someone can vote too.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it. If they could legally do it, they'd have already done it. They might be able to interpret the term 'in the business' in US law so that a certain number of sales requires an FFL (and would probably have to be fairly high to avoid a legal challenge), but they can't stop all private sales without Congress.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The said fact is. The Commies already have what they wanted, "gun registration". None of thier "proposals" or "laws" have anything to do with your safety, or maintaining "order". If there was order? We sheep wouldn't need them. It's already a national law, if you want to purchase a firearm, you go through a background check. Which is just a registration. That's why they ask about you and the weapon. Your serial number and the guns serial number. I know some of you Libs will "what if the gun was used in a crime"?.. Laws aren't passed for you. Laws are passed for them. Criminals don't obey laws in the first place. The only thing "law" does, is make criminals. Other than the commonsense laws...this is just the White House trying to look like he's earning his pay. It's all bs.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

And all states ban black market gun sales as an underground business as you use in your example.[/quote ]

Uh, no. That is false.

new topics

top topics

join