It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wow! Signal From 1977

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The WOW signal - www.google.com...

The signal came from a location 122 ± 4 ly away from Earth. How is it possible that a concentrated burst of hydrogen that resonates closely to the signal remain concentrated for 122 ly?

Unfortunately, as spaceship velocities approach the speed of light, interstellar hydrogen H, although only present at a density of approximately 1.8 atoms/cm3, turns into intense radiation that would quickly kill passengers and destroy electronic instrumentation. In addition, the energy loss of ionizing radiation passing through the ship's hull represents an increasing heat load that necessitates large expenditures of energy to cool the ship.
Edelstein & Edelstein abstract

gizmodo.com...

Based on the above article could the signal detected have actually been hydrogen accelerated to the speed of light by some form of alien technology meant to be tested for long range equipment destruction so humans could not defend themselves from an interstellar attack?

edit on 12.10.2015 by Kandinsky because: added link and source tags

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dryson

Unfortunately, as any vessel(s) velocities close-en to speed of light, interstellar hydrogen H, in a very small amount (approx 1.8 atoms/cm3) becomes radiation- any human or avionics would be dead/destroyed - So I would think that it was alien tech..... maybe the u.s. gov. has new tech they arent advising us of however....

nice post

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Unfortunately, as any vessel(s) velocities close-en to speed of light, interstellar hydrogen H, in a very small amount (approx 1.8 atoms/cm3) becomes radiation- any human or avionics would be dead/destroyed - So I would think that it was alien tech..... maybe the u.s. gov. has new tech they arent advising us of however....

nice post

Its nothing that fantastic really. The LHC accelerates protons to near light speeds on a regular basis. Moreover proton beam therapy is used in modern medicine too.
edit on 10/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dryson
The WOW signal - www.google.com...

The signal came from a location 122 ± 4 ly away from Earth. How is it possible that a concentrated burst of hydrogen that resonates closely to the signal remain concentrated for 122 ly?

They don't know if the signal came from 122 LY away, nor do they know how far away its source was at all. They have no way of knowing the distance.

The 122 LY number only comes from the closest visible star to the signal, which is Tau Sagittarii (or Tau Sgr). The actual part of space from where the signal seems to have emanated appears to be empty of known objects.

edit on 12/10/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

And A B O U T time; I would venture to say that traditional radiotherapy will be a thing of the past in the near future

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Quite a bit of information on this

en.wikipedia.org...!_signal

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while he was working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University, then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory in Delaware, Ohio. The signal bore the expected hallmarks of non-terrestrial and non-Solar System origin. The signal appears to have come from the northwest of the globular cluster of M55 in the constellation Sagittarius, near the Chi Sagittarii star group

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dryson

Based on the above article could the signal detected have actually been hydrogen accelerated to the speed of light by some form of alien technology meant to be tested for long range equipment destruction so humans could not defend themselves from an interstellar attack?

Doesn't matter. When they receive the response we sent back, they'll know we aren't worth the bother.

more than 10,000 Twitter messages, plus videos from celebrities such as comedian Stephen Colbert, have been beamed into space as a big "Hello!" from Earth.

The messages are intended as a response to what's called the Wow! signal

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'd hazard the guess that 1977 equipment sometimes suffer from glitches.

Very much similar to 2015 equipment.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

It appears that getting from place to place with Newtonian physics will not work. Seems that the only two ways to get to far solar sytems or galaxies is to create a worm-hole or use anti-gravity. The idea of anti-gravity isn't that hard to understand. One would create a "pinch" of space-time in front of the craft and a "push" of space-time behind the space craft. The effect would feel sort of like going down a very long slide.

On to the other post, the limit of the speed of light doesn't hold up. Take galaxies for example, using radar type technologies shows that just about every stellar body is moving away from all other solar bodies (red shifting) and moving faster and faster away from one another, thus the expanding universe, but what about when those galaxies (from the force of anti-gravity) makes galaxies speed away from other galaxies at faster the speed of light. The galaxies don't get destroyed, they are simply moving faster than the speed of light so we don't detect their presence.

As for H atoms, the question you should be asking is what effect dark matter has upon mass moving close to the speed of light. The expansion and such are on a spectrum. Upon the approach to the speed of light the "background" becomes ever more present. Think of it like blood. Blood cells going down an artery usually move quite fast and flow like water, but when there are clotting agents in the blood the blood gets "thicker" and the transport of stuff goes slower. Perhaps that isn't a very precise description. I'll try another. I don't know exactly how to describe it. It works in a similar way that the electromagnetic spectrum works. Different frequencies and wavelengths have different effects on matter. Microwaves are able to cook food without expelling ionizing radiation. Higher on the EM spectrum that wave or partical (or wave-partical duality) behaves differently. It turns those things that come in contact with it highly radioactive and destroys ("ionizes" or turns "radio-active") matter rather than just warming it up. At some point in the spectrum there is a different reaction to that wave, the cycles per second (Hz) can produce many very different reactions. Now imagine that spectrum in the terms of space-time. Different speeds of matter among the swimming pool can cause that space-time to be "thicker" or "thinner." Thus if one "pinches" matter (makes it thinner) in the direction of desired travel , and "pushes" matter away from the opposite end, this produces a slide effect. Weee!
The footprint on space-time would be an elliptical bubble, or perhaps different depending on the shape of the vessel being propelled. As this bends space-time rather than typical flying there is not the inertia of massive G-forces being felt. You get to ride the curve rather than being ripped to pieces.

Now to wormholes. They can be very scary things. You get a rosen-bridge (wormhole) that draws you in from some point in space-time. But where does it send you? Unless the wormhole is artificial you could be on a trip somewhere so far out that there is nothing but blackness, some place far far away with the properties of physics itself being different, you may find yourself very very lonely. No stars, no planets, possibly no matter except what gets into it from the rosen-bridge. Now lets say they are artificial, it seems that the simplest way to make one would be to have a gate from one point in space-time to another, where you would have to set up tests initiated by people for people at a not-so-far distance because you would have to "activate" the hole using the same properties for each end. In simple terms you need a guy on each side of the bridge to synchronize the "caller" to the "receiver," or to set up a two-way pipe. This can be thought of sort of like Mario Brothers. There is the "real-world" up on top of the Earth and there are pipes bringing Mario "underground," think of "underground" as perhaps "sub-space." You can enter at one point, "go under," and "back up" at a different part of "the world." The travel in sub-space can be a massively warped travel in both space and time. Where 10 miles travelled in "normal space" one could instead have "origin -> sub-space -> exit" taking only (an arbitrarily small distance).

Background: Both of these, slipstreams and wormholes, are theoreticaly possible according to current quantum physics and super-string physics, see university level general overviews of these topics to get caught up. There are teaching companies out there that offer general overviews and if you are currently enrolled in university you can get papers on such topics for free as part of the tuition, even if physics is not your major. The most entertaining stuff are the quarks and the ideas about there being 12 or so different dimensions in our reality.

btw, there is also the possibility of a self-sustaining slip-stream, where space-time is bent in such a way that it can be set to travel a certain direction and speed and the slide continues on indefinitely until "cancelled," going back to regular space. Also, one of those university-equivalent teaching comanies that I've heard about is The Great Courses, you can google it.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I can imagine that if I were an alien species, highly advanced, perhaps I would take first contact with "baby steps," knowing where our satellite receivers are looking at and giving a "nibble," (the Wow! Signal) something to keep the search alive, drawing people ever closer to being ready for disclosure.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: HolgerTheDane2
I'd hazard the guess that 1977 equipment sometimes suffer from glitches.

Very much similar to 2015 equipment.

This. I believe that "Wow!" Signal was a technical glitch & nothing more. I also believe SETI is a joke of an organization, only because I feel there is substantial evidence that we've been visited & Earth is being monitored, yet SETI refuses to acknowledge any & all such evidence.

join