It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Japanese Company wants to Build an 11,000 KM solar farm on the Moon-

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Silly people don't they realise that the moon only shows up at night time .

I had to throw Muslim and Trump in the title to conform to the latest Posting trend in ATS, I felt left out.

This sounds interesting as they plan to have a prototype by 2020 and start construction in 2035.

Also it will be interesting to observe the impact of China being an importer of Energy to possibly an exporter of Energy with almost 13,000 terra watts of energy projected to be possible ( possibly more if expanded) and its effect on OPEC and the Middle East.

OoH and it involves:

The electric power will be beamed back to earth using Microwaves and Lasers.

“The Shimizu Corporation” has gone to the extreme in the solar sector by proposing a plan to build a solar belt around the Moon’s 11,000 kilometer Equator.

The concept "LUNA RING" , proposed by shimizu, plans to build a ring around the Moon. Technically, you can say its a solar farm on the Moon to generate electricity on Earth.

The electric power generated from the solar belts will be be transferred to the transmission facilities near the Moon. After that, the electric power will be converted back to microwaves and lasers, only to be beamed back to Earth and then again the beams are converted back to electricity at power plants.

www.toinkwire.com...

OoH and it involves:

sservi.nasa.gov...
Robots would play the primary role in building the Luna Ring. Teleoperated 24 hours a day from the Earth, The robots would be teleoperated from Earth to level the lunar landscape and assemble machines and equipment in orbit before they are landed on the Moon. A team of astronauts would support the robots on-site.

Additional Information:
www.shimz.co.jp...

edit on 241231America/ChicagoThu, 10 Dec 2015 10:24:16 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/10/2015 by semperfortis because: Properly reflect topic

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sounds interesting, any chance of a link to the article?

Edit - Ah you've provided one and indeed it is an interesting idea. It will take a long time to fully install and cost a bucket load of money, but if it can produce what they claim it will be able to, then it would make perfect sense to do it.

edit on 10/12/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Who does the moon even belong to? Can someone say no to building a farm up there?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

There's a Stars and Stripes flag up there, so........

Just saying

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

No government can claim celestial bodies

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yeah until the moon is overrun by Muslims and Donald trump is already there as their supreme leader.

Meaning the trump we are seeing today is a hologram.........reptilian.

Kidding. I thought the OP was interesting, humorously and well put together. I wish this had already been done, it'd be so cool to look at the moon and observe the construction of the Luna Ring.
edit on 10-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
www.shimz.co.jp...

edit on 581231America/ChicagoThu, 10 Dec 2015 09:58:35 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'd like to bust my Celestron telescope out & watch as they begin building this solar farm.

Anxiously waiting for the aliens from the Dark Side of the Moon to come f*** s*** up LOL

PS Didn't the Native Americans warn against mining Helium-3 from the moon? (I know solar farm and helium mining are totally unrelated, just wanted to bring it up though)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Very true , and just to clarify from your link if they are legally allowed to build such a structure. It appears so , since its not a weapon (Or is it? since its Frickin Laser?).

The treaty

exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I wonder, if this is built, and it can be seen from the Earth, will it finally prove we went to the moon?

I mean, they could just as easily build this in the basement where they filmed the landings before right?

ETA: will the take the "lasers" from the sharks?
edit on 10-12-2015 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
An interesting non scientific observation will be: if this shifts China economy to an energy producer versus consumer and how it will effect OPEC and the ME?

Shimizu plans to have a pilot demonstration by 2020 and begin the construction by 2035. The firm also said that the Luna Ring could generate almost 13,000 terra watts of energy. The United States total installed electricity generation summer capacity is around 1,050.9 gigawatts. So if the project succeeds, such massive energy can be very vital for the Earth.

edit on 161231America/ChicagoThu, 10 Dec 2015 10:16:52 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Big step for man, small step for robots..
edit on 10-12-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
Who does the moon even belong to? Can someone say no to building a farm up there?

Hell yes they can!

Remember all those people buying lunar plots via sites like;

www.lunarland.com/
www.lunarregistry.com
www.lunarembassy.com
www.moonestates.com

Some selling property as low as $29 per acre, it's a steal!

Not to worry though, I'm sure the Japanese will just invoke eminent domain as justification to doze a path right across my crater-front property just to install solar panels blocking my view of earth.

There goes the neighborhood!

Good news is, I hear they're selling property on Venus & Mars now too.

ETA: I almost forgot, I hear that real estate mogul Donald Trump may be getting in on the action and that he won't be allowing Muslims to buy any off planet real estate.

There, I think I covered all the required bases.
edit on 10-12-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. How can this be built on the Moon if its just a hologram?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Whilst this could be an awesome idea, would messing with moon mess with the ocean tides ?
If it does how many women are on the planet ....

You know, women's stuff and all that could get really messed up....millions of very very cranky messed up women not good me thinks !

Just a thought ..

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Metropolis1927

You know, women's stuff and all that could get really messed up....millions of very very cranky messed up women not good me thinks !

Another reason NOT to vote for Hillary , LOL . Although, I'm taking bets before Trump uses this an excuse to not vote for her.
However, that is just a Moon Myth

But you still shouldn't vote for her .

Whilst this could be an awesome idea, would messing with moon mess with the ocean tides ?

Also the Mass added by the panels would likely be insignificant when compared to the whole Moons Mass in order to effect the gravitational forces by any significance.

edit on 001231America/ChicagoThu, 10 Dec 2015 11:00:34 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think it would be better to beam power back from orbiting satellites. For one thing I don't see how they can focus microwave radiation enough from the distance of the moon, and even with lasers the beams will be fairly large by the time the reach the Earth. The moon is further than most people think since most illustrations distort the distance to make it look like the moon is close.

Here's an actual photo of the Earth and moon and to me it shows the moon is not very close:

Japanese Probe Snaps Amazing Views of Earth and Moon

Japan's Hayabusa 2 asteroid probe captured this amazing view of the Earth and the moon together as seen from 1.8 million miles (3 million kilometers) away during an Earth flyby on Dec. 3, 2015.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
First it's a solar farm, next thing you know it'll be a golf course.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

For one thing I don't see how they can focus microwave radiation enough from the distance of the moon, and even with lasers the beams will be fairly large by the time the reach the Earth.

That had me scratching my noggin as well. Looking forward to more working details about the project.

However, that is the part that peaked my interest along with the robot workers working in a moon manufacturing plant. I can see it now , "Made in Moon" products, lol.

edit on 281231America/ChicagoThu, 10 Dec 2015 14:28:50 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join