It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Hell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am woundering what hell is truely like to different religions. I have heard many different theories on the Christian one, even though some christians say that is has fire, and some say it doesn't, so I would like it if anyone would like to dicuss different forms of hell, thanks for any input.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Most of what you hear is speculation. All we really know is what we read in the Bible. The most descriptive text is from Jesus' parable of Lazarus and the Rich man. You can read the whole story in Luke 16. The first thing we realize is that there is an actual flame or heat there.
send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.

We also hear in Matthew 23 and 24 that there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

We know from Matthew 25:41 that it was created for the devil and his angels.

The scariest part of all this is in Revelation 20:10 where we learn of the length of the punishment.
They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

That's pretty much all we know about hell from reading the Bible. Nothing wrong with being afraid of hell, but don't base your relationship with God on this single issue. Focus more on God's love and the rewards,and less on the punishment as this is really God's plan. It's all about having a relationship with God. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Actually all we have if bible teachings and ancient writings to said about hell anything else, is just, speculations of what hell may look like.

For what I know no body has ever gone to hell and comeback to tall about it, and neither heaven.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
I am woundering what hell is truely like to different religions. I have heard many different theories on the Christian one, even though some christians say that is has fire, and some say it doesn't, so I would like it if anyone would like to dicuss different forms of hell, thanks for any input.

Hell is what you make of it, Heaven is what you make of it... All of this is up to you...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
No, don't worry, my realitonship with God is not based off of the fact of hell. I have been a Catholic forever, first communion and everything. Thanks for the bible passages too. What do you mean by hell is what you make it and heaven is what you make it? Could you please elaborate.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't think there's a "generic hell".
Whatever you're afraid of or feel guilty about could probably
become your own personal hell.

No "generic heaven" either. Of course if you truly believe
that heaven is a city paved in gold with angels all around,
that might be where you go and what you see.

I sometimes dream about my grandmother who
passed away. In my dream, she lives
in a beautiful victorian house, furnished with fine antiques,
a lovely flower garden,
and climbing roses all around the porches.

I like to think that might be her personal heaven.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Different religions have different forms of hell. In fact, some religions don't (or didn't)even have something clearly remembering a monotheistic hell. Take for example the Ancient Greek religion: after death ALL people were simply tossed over into the Hades, for an eternity of dull and boring life. There were a few exceptions, however: people who openly defied Gods were given a peculiar punishment in the afterlife. For example Tantalus or Sisiphus: one was forced to roll a boulder on top of an hill only to have his work unmade every time he finished, the other was put in a pool with juicy fruits hanging over his head. Each time he tried to slacke his thirst, the pool dried up. each time he tried eating a fruit, the branch was lifted from over his head, out of his reach. By contrast, the very few the Gods truly loved or admired were given an eternal life of bliss in the Elysian Fields; some were even given the privilege of being taken to the Olympus and become Gods themselves. The ORIGINAL Egyptian religion was even worse: only the Faraon and his sons/daughters had the privilege of an afterlife existence. If you look at the various forms of Buddhism, you see a clear pattern. While most believe that, unless you reach Nirvana, you are bound to an eternal series of rebirths in various forms (depending on your karma), some of the most popular (and widespread among the laymen) forms have created a series of hells for the worst sinners. The sinners are inevitably punished in very physical ways, but their condition is not permanent. After they have been punished for a given period of time, they are allowed to return on earth to continue their cycle of rebirth. Sometimes Buddha (in these traditions he becomes some kind of powerful god), out of his own mercy or convinced by a particular pious person, descends in the hells and free all the sinners, allowing them to reincarnate before their time is due. I think the traditional view of hell (everlasting torments for the sinners) can be clearly traced to religions of Iranic Plateau (Zaratusthra and Mani being the two most notable prophets here), but the Egyptians also introduced a concept of afterlife and judgment for everyone at about the time of Fifth Dynasty. All the monotheistic religions have taken their concept of afterlife judgment and hell from here.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I heard that when the virgin mary appeared to some kids somewhere, I cant remember which one exactly, she showed them hell. I forget the details ill look stuff up and get back to you.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The old Hebrew word for hell actually translates to Earth, which I take to mean if you do not attain the higher self, enlightenment if you will, then you are doomed to eternity on earth. Hell as a firey eternal pit of torment is a christian adaptation (one of many I might add) to the best of my knowlege.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has posted this but here are the levels of hell according to Dante in Dantes Inferno. Pretty in-depth.

More info can be found at:
www.4degreez.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Wow great post Simulacra, do you recomend reading the book? I think I might go pick that up. Where did Dantes come up with this idea of hell? Was it through messeges from God or through reading the bible? Croat I have never heard of that, Kakugo thank you for presenting more than just the christian religion. Sorry I haven't been able to respond I have been un able to acess my internet for the past few days, but its fixed now.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I suppose if it be my Gods decision that I should burn in a lake of fire than I shall gladly do so, for no other reason than it would be my gods decision.

My fear is not that god will remember my wrongs in this life or judge the mistakes i've made. No, my fear is that god will forget my soul. There could be no greater hell than this.

On a lighter note, my idea of shear hell is that I die and find myself on the other side. Kicking and screaming i'm being dragged towards these two huge pearly gates and as they open there is Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson and all the other crazies i've come to despise in this life. As I scream and try to get away i'm tossed inside onto the streets of gold and the doors slowly close behind me for all eternity. Good lord, you can't even commit suicide!!!!!!!!!!!

AAGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I am a Unitarian that leans heavily to Pagan. In my religion there is no Satan/Devil, and there is no hell.

I believe "Hell" to be a Christian concept. Christianity and those religions that are related to Christianity seem to be the only ones with the type of hell that I believe you are talking about.

If you apply the term "hell" very loosely, my religion's hell goes like this:
What comes around goes around. If you set out to do something wrong and / or harm someone, it will come back and bite you. Not in some far off time after death, but now in this life time. You are immediately accountable for your actions.
If you die before you learn your lesson, you will come back here to learn it. (Reincarnation - possibly being born into some unfortunate circumstance so that you get to see what it is like to be on the receiving end of someone's bad deeds.)

I guess you could say that for some religions, hell is situational, and is not an actual place.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Wow great post Simulacra, do you recomend reading the book?

I would say that Dantes Inferno is probably on my list of books to never read again. Now I would suggest to read it, however one time is enough. That book is just creepy. The way Dante describes the different levels of hell
. I had to put the book down a few times and turn on all the lights.

top topics

join