It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PC pendulum has swung way too far.... this is getting crazy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
True story:

An acquaintance of mine (Caucasian) was approached by a black man in an airport in New Jersey who promptly informed him that he was offended by the shirt that my friend was wearing because of its racist overtones.

The shirt in question was a T-shirt from the Whitesville, Ky. Garage... an auto repair place.

Whitesville, Ky was founded in 1844 by Dr. William White, and named for him.

My friend did the only thing he could possibly do..... he laughed at him and walked away.

It's just become insane these days.... now I guess Latino's are offended by Brownsville, I should be offended by Blacksburg and what the hell... Asians should probably file a class action lawsuit against yellow cab company.

Where does this nonsense stop?

edit on R422015-12-09T16:42:30-06:00k4212Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R422015-12-09T16:42:53-06:00k4212Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sht I know.
There is so much money to be made right now with this PC nonsense.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What started as a means of stopping people from using terms as invective to hurt has now become a way for people to attempt to validate and lay blame on others for every little personal insecurity they experience.

It is out of control. Maybe if the shirt offends you, it's your problem and not the intent of the wearer to be racist?

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's a true story. Because NOW...it's completely believable.
If you'd told me this story 5-10 years ago, I'd swear you were making it up.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

My PC is largely solid state.

I would think that a PC with a pendulum (and by inference, gears and an escapement mechanism) would be a steampunk masterpiece.

Analytical Engine, anyone?

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If you can, I would encourage you to watch this satirical piss take - because it is so accurate to what you are saying that it is frighteningly funny and sad at the same time.

I swear, you will not be disappointed........

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Really, so what? So someone was offended and spoke out about it...

You were offended and wrote this thread. What's the difference?

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I wasn't offended in the least...I find it quite funny to be honest. What about this thread makes you feel I was offended? You do realize this is in the rant forum and that is exactly what it is... a rant about the crazy PC culture these days.
edit on R082015-12-09T17:08:17-06:00k0812Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Remember this guy from the Rosetta mission?

Rosetta scientist Dr Matt Taylor apologises for ‘offensive’ shirt

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 9-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So if everyone is looking for reasons now to justify their every insecurity by blaming someone else for some reason, how do you suggest anyone avoid offending someone else in some way since most people usually bend over backwards to be inoffensive?

The answer is that no one can. It's impossible, especially when you start getting into the realms of wearing t-shirts that talk about places like Whitesville or Blacksburg or whatever all else.

So basically, your entire existence is one offensive step after another in this new climate just waiting for someone to come up and lay the blame on you for ruining their life in some way.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The problem is the walking away. The "offended" should have been asked what offends him. He should then have been asked how can a place named after a person whose name is "White" be racist? If it continues the "offended" should have been told they are moron whose offence is not because of racism but his/her stupidity and their stupidity makes them the racist. If they are still hanging around after that then ending with "You are the racist and a thick one at that f.ck off".

Racism is a problem but a far bigger problem is ignorance and stupidity. It is rife these days.

Either confront the stupidity or don't complain.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This little oldie by Arthur Godfrey pretty much sums up what I think the PC crowd is full of.

It's delightfully non-pc for being "culturally insensitive".

Anyone up for a anti-pc music thread?

edit on 9-12-2015 by VictoriaCromwell because: You are welcome.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm offended by people who are offended by people who offended other people who were offended by a t shirt, and I'm probably offending people by writing this.

(and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round. . . . . )

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

That made me want to punch the screen because of how scarily close we are to that being our reality.

The PC crowd are slowly eroding away any notion of common sense and replacing it with absurd stupidity, the ones pulling the strings are clever and are just manipulating the stupid to attack those of us with any intelligence

Funnily enough South Park have devoted an entire season to mocking PC, season finale is tonight

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

That vid is pretty much spot on to where we are quickly headed.

edit on R432015-12-09T17:43:31-06:00k4312Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

He probably cringes at the thought of his fellow man of color is having to reside in the WHITE HOUSE.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I think the point is that the PC crowd is out of control. Also, he can rant about whatever bothers him...we all need to let loose of some anger sometimes, me included, because the world is insane.
edit on 2015/12/9 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
The problem is the walking away. The "offended" should have been asked what offends him. He should then have been asked how can a place named after a person whose name is "White" be racist? If it continues the "offended" should have been told they are moron whose offence is not because of racism but his/her stupidity and their stupidity makes them the racist. If they are still hanging around after that then ending with "You are the racist and a thick one at that f.ck off".

Racism is a problem but a far bigger problem is ignorance and stupidity. It is rife these days.

Either confront the stupidity or don't complain.

You are making assumptions without any facts. I wasn't there, so I can't speak about how it should have been handled.

If it were me, my reaction would based entirely on the person's demeanor. If they seemed to be angry and offended, I would probably just walk away. If the person seemed reasonable, I would have just told them they were being stupid by professing to be offended by the name of a town that has absolutely nothing to do with either race or skin color. But that is neither here nor there.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm offended by people who are offended by people who offended other people who were offended by a t shirt, and I'm probably offending people by writing this.

(and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round. . . . . )

And the irony is that that tee shirt was probably made by Chinese people.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
There are black people with the last name 'White'.

I wonder how they live with themselves?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join