It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

give it up for the Opportunity and Spirit mars rovers!!!

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

" Spirit has survived 269 sols past its '90-sol warranty' "...

" Opportunity has survived 249 sols past its '90-sol warranty' "...

these two mars rovers have lasted MUCH more than expected...

now, it is going to be winter on mars and this means that there will be less sunlight (the rover's source for energy) and this means that they could "die"...

i have started this thread because i (and you might want to join in too) want to "give it up" for the Opportunity and Spirit mars rovers...

so...

lets give it up for the Opportunity and Spirit mars rovers!!!

the total number of sols on mars for the Spirit rover as of 1/5/05 is: 359

the total number of sols on mars for the Opportunity rover as of 1/5/05 is: 339


EDIT: total number of sols on mars for rovers...




[edit on 5-1-2005 by they see ALL]




posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Red Rovers, Red Rovers.
You just won't ROLLOVER!!!!

woop! woop! woop!



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
They put warranties on their own products that they are using themselves O.O

What would they do if it did "die" before 90-days? Would they pay themselves or something?

But I must say they did an amazing job taking photos and sampling.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
They put warranties on their own products that they are using themselves O.O

What would they do if it did "die" before 90-days? Would they pay themselves or something?

But I must say they did an amazing job taking photos and sampling.



it is a '90-sol warranty'...

they (NASA) THOUGHT that the rovers would only last for 90 sols thus the '90-sol warranty' was made...

it is not a real warranty






posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
They didn't think they would only last 90 days. 90 days was the prerequsite for mission success as far as longevity goes. There were some comments about them lasting much longer even very early in the mission.

However I think they are probably now starting to outlive even some of the more optimistic expectations.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
They didn't think they would only last 90 days. 90 days was the prerequsite for mission success as far as longevity goes. There were some comments about them lasting much longer even very early in the mission.

However I think they are probably now starting to outlive even some of the more optimistic expectations.


do you mean that the rovers had 90 sols to complete the mission???

sry but i need info.






posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hey,

How about we post a link to our favorite Spirit, or Opportunity image?


They see ALL...You go first...tis YOUR thread



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
do you mean that the rovers had 90 sols to complete the mission???


No, the rovers had a list of requirements to meet in order to achieve mission 'success'. Things such as needing to do x amount of brushings and drillings, x amount of readings with the different images, drive over a certain distance (600m I think) and operate at least 90 days (as well as launch and land on Mars safely obviously). Both have well and truly surpassed the requirements for success. Not that it was unexpected, the success benchmarks are kind of a minimum requirement deal.



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The rovers have performed splendidly!!!
i have stayed current on them since they were about to land,and i havent been disapointed.
I cant wait for the Mars Science Lab to hit in 2010,bigger,faster, better,and nuclear powered to boot!!!



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
True that Sam, is that the one thats meant to be up to Humvee size? and with powered landing so it can put down a lot closer to more interesting stuff. (Canyons etc)?



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Hey,

How about we post a link to our favorite Spirit, or Opportunity image?


They see ALL...You go first...tis YOUR thread


some of my favorite pics can be found here:

www.enterprisemission.com...

i want to your favorite pics because i love mars pics...





posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
No, the rovers had a list of requirements to meet in order to achieve mission 'success'. Things such as needing to do x amount of brushings and drillings, x amount of readings with the different images, drive over a certain distance (600m I think) and operate at least 90 days (as well as launch and land on Mars safely obviously). Both have well and truly surpassed the requirements for success. Not that it was unexpected, the success benchmarks are kind of a minimum requirement deal.



thanks kano...

these rovers are very cool and they are also "alive" i think...

they scan the area that they are in and choose the safest path to the point they want to visit without any human help


this, to me, is VERY impressive...





posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
True that Sam, is that the one thats meant to be up to Humvee size? and with powered landing so it can put down a lot closer to more interesting stuff. (Canyons etc)?


Yup,supposed to be up to 5 times bigger than the current rovers,and they are discussing whether or not to send two rovers,probably becasue of the success of the twin rovers there now.
The landing is rather unique.Nasa plans on using a "Sky crane" and to tether it down to 15 feet.would make for a pretty soft landing.

heres a good site talking about it.
space.com...



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Alright, a worthy celebration.

Too bad I didn't get to see any aliens chopping under the golden arches, eh?


-wD



posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

" Spirit has survived 269 sols past its '90-sol warranty' "...

" Opportunity has survived 249 sols past its '90-sol warranty' "...

these two mars rovers have lasted MUCH more than expected...

now, it is going to be winter on mars and this means that there will be less sunlight (the rover's source for energy) and this means that they could "die"...

[edit on 5-1-2005 by they see ALL]


I read in the paper today that the Martian winter just finished and spring is beginning, meaning the Rovers might last for much longer still.



posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
im glad we made it to mars and found links that prove there was water on the planet at one time.where there is water there would be life.to bad it took so long for us to evolve and get the info back.me and my families names are on 2 disks up there on mars and i hope in 500 years the people who land on it read the many of millions of names on the disks.rock on rovers and hail all nasa people who made this possible.take a bow flukemol.......





posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
Yup,supposed to be up to 5 times bigger than the current rovers,and they are discussing whether or not to send two rovers,probably becasue of the success of the twin rovers there now.
The landing is rather unique.Nasa plans on using a "Sky crane" and to tether it down to 15 feet.would make for a pretty soft landing.

heres a good site talking about it.
space.com...


good info. and thanks...

a humvee sized rover!?!?!?

THATS an idea...





posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have to give it up to Nasa for making those Rovers
Just making it to mars in the first place is hard enough.

Sure seems like these rovers are a great design for the harsh mars conditions.



posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
What's coolest about this is all the pessimism that happened before this. Most Mars expeditions have failed in the past. Everyone thought these would, too. There were several threads here on ATS talking about martians shooting down landing craft.

NASA does exploration excelently. We need to get it back to that. More looking up instead of down at earth. More going up. Look at Cassini. What an incredible mission! The one collecting comet dust (can't recall the name and am too tired to look it up). The NASA of the 50s and 60s seems to be coming back, and this is great news!




top topics



 
0

log in

join