It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Reinstating 'Assault' Weapons Ban to Prevent Terrorism is Common Sense

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: neo96
Its' basically trying to compare a modern jet to the Wright Brothers first plane.

The difference between the Armalite AR-15 and the Colt AR-15 are not nearly that dramatic.

It is when your trying to buy one.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Look at that we started off disagreeing and hit that common ground That 40 laws you mentioned is that a actual figure or a estimate on your part? If our law makers were actually held accountable for bad laws I wonder how different the laws written would be. Maybe the first law we need to revisit is the salary for those in office. Maybe it's time for them to work on only merit pay.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It is when your trying to buy one.

Now. Back then when they were first issued it was not nearly the challenge it is today.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Badgered1

The AR style rifle was designed as a military weapon. It has a rapid fire capability, a pistol grip, and a large magazine. It owes a lot of its design to the STG-44, the world's first assault rifle.
Saying that it's not an assault rifle is silly. It is, by its very design, just that.

With 'bump fire stocks' and sliding recoil fire techniques, a semi-automatic assault rifle can fire at rates similar to a fully automatic, right? So I'm not buying the tired rhetoric about how a semi-automatic is so much different from auto.
Unless you have an AR and have never heard of this; which I doubt.

A hunting magazine did a review on the best, and worst rifles for hunting. I'll see if I can find it for the people who will attack the idea, rather than actually researching, or prefer to just argue without really thinking...
Anyway, they found that an AR style wasn't really a good rifle to hunt with. It came dead last on their list.
Aside from SonOfThor and his buddies with their Texas ranches with boars, and coyotes (although I have it on good authority that a charging boar necessitates some serious firepower, and the AR wouldn't cut it), I've got to believe that there are thousands of these assault rifles in the hands of non farmer types. I can't think of a good reason why, other than "ooh, shiny!"
As the picture above notes, a .223 hunting rifle does the same job, right?

Now we have to look at "protecting ourselves." What kind of penetration does a long rifle have in a standard stud house?
Would it penetrate walls? Would those rounds that did still have any power to them? Is a long rifle the best choice for tight spaces? Are passers by in any danger from bullets penetrating walls? Neighbors?

People keep repeating how over 100,000 guns have been sold "since Obama took office!" but not providing any data to how many were sold prior. With approx. 320,000,000 guns in the US it's likely that some of them were sold during other administrations. Amazing how statistics can work.

The AR does not have a rapid fire capability.

And it doesn't have a large magazine.

It's magazine capacity is the size of whatever magazine you put into it, so it should be called variable magazine capacity, because it goes from ten to hundred round.

The STG-44 stromgavere, or storm rifle, not assault rifle.

Do you even know anything but talking points?

As far as research, it is you that need some.

Most of us know about these by use and ownership, you know first hand knowledge.

I served in the US ARMY, I'm a vet, an M-16 or M-4 is not an AR.

I have shot real machine guns, like the "ma deuce".

And light machine guns, like the saw M-60 and 240-bravo.

And a automatic grenade launchers the mark-10, real crowd pleaser.

I know a lot about guns , semi-auto full auto single shot black powder.

You seem to know next to nothing.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's absolutely true.

Once upon a time an American could walk in to their local hardware store and buy a Thompson in one aisle.

Then walk over to another one, and buy a case of dynamite without so much as a second look from anyone.

Americans haven't changed.

Just stupid laws because of fear mongering.
edit on 9-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CellDamage420
a reply to: neo96

Well, having fired and being in contact with both for long periods of time, they are exactly the same aside from one huge difference. One has a 3 round burst, the other don't. The bolt carrier group and trigger assembly has some differences as a result but its still mostly the same. Not that it matters, even a lot of our guys in boots think the m16 is old worn out design with less than ample stopping power.

AK is better, more reliable, and the gas driven piston recharge design stops carbon blowback onto the bolt, reducing buildup.

Stoner should have stolen kalshnikovs design for that, it is far superior.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Complete estimate on my part, I'm sure there's a few more that may have been either repealed or updated. But I'm sure a quick google search wouldn't hurt. I'm glad we were able to find common ground on this issue, I only wish the same for others.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Pre-1934 you could go into a hardware store and buy a Thompson cash and carry or you could send funds to their office and they would mail one right to your house)

Thanks Brown Shirts.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor
Thankyou for the response. I appreciate the view but I always struggle with the thought that americans have a mentality (nothing personal america) that there is a possibility of being burgled and harmed. Of course there is a possibility, but in the UK most households don't have a knife for easy access just incase of this possibility. One person the other day posted he can't wait to return to america so he can have a fun to protect his family at night. I just don't understand this concept. I'm aware of its historical and constitutional significance but not the mentality.

Unfortunately I am only basing this perception on multiple responses on ats and media discussions when I dare watch American media.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: forkedtongue

I already addressed this above.

Take a look if you wish.

Ya saw that, but I don't like to edit things, so it leaves a trail if anyone sees my post and posts somthing in response.

It just seems dishonest to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Fair play. Can't enquire any further.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
a reply to: SonOfThor
Thankyou for the response. I appreciate the view but I always struggle with the thought that americans have a mentality (nothing personal america) that there is a possibility of being burgled and harmed. Of course there is a possibility, but in the UK most households don't have a knife for easy access just incase of this possibility. One person the other day posted he can't wait to return to america so he can have a fun to protect his family at night. I just don't understand this concept. I'm aware of its historical and constitutional significance but not the mentality.

Unfortunately I am only basing this perception on multiple responses on ats and media discussions when I dare watch American media.

Think of it Like this.

It is like a condom.

It is better to have one and not need it, then need it and not have it.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Icing on the cake.

The nation’s leading civil liberties organization is not opposed to efforts to deprive people on U.S. terrorism watch lists of their constitutional rights, but it says the watch lists themselves need to be reformed first.

ACLU Sees Gun Ban for People on Government Lists as Constitutional

Brought to you by the American CIVIL LIBERTIES Union.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Icing on the cake.

The nation’s leading civil liberties organization is not opposed to efforts to deprive people on U.S. terrorism watch lists of their constitutional rights, but it says the watch lists themselves need to be reformed first.

ACLU Sees Gun Ban for People on Government Lists as Constitutional

Brought to you by the American CIVIL LIBERTIES Union.

That's an American liberal for you.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There you have it who the real terrorists are.
By their stupid ideology, analogy, and what have you, blatantly attacking the most supreme law act of the nation.
What I understand, that is treason with terrorism elements.
When the masses will wake the # up, damn it...

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
I thought he was a "constitutional" lawyer?

Dumb ass.

Why do you think they're all so good at ignoring the thing?

Topic- how many "assault weapons" did the ban keep off the streets and out of the hands of violent gangs and terrorists previously?

None, because there is no such thing as an "assault weapon".

That phrase is pure BS.

Unless you believe that a weapon is somehow more dangerous because it looks scary.

If you do believe that, I got 8 sec Honda civic to sell you, the body kit and go fast stickers prove it.

Everything's deadlier when it's black. Just ask the police.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Neo, i know you took the headline from the article, and i usually agree with your threads. but as it has been pointed out by others he is saying the same thing he said after Sandy Hook , The Colorado theater shooting, and all the others sense he has come into office. which the number of mass shooting under his term is at least 3 times the number of mass shooting than under any 3 of the last 5 presidents combined during their term. that there should make people say hmmm...

any way it doesn't say he is going to, it say he wants to. it's plain to see he hasn't and can't find away to use his phone and pen to do this, or he would have done so by now. unless he can convince republicans in the house and senate to back him(which is like wanting ice water in hell) it's not going to happen.

edit on 9-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
It us common sense though. What is the need for an "assault" weapons. You can have your guns, maintain paranoid thoughts of someone breaking in to your homes as justification for the gun in the first place.

Isn't a standard gun enough? Genuine question guys? Is there a possible reason outside constitutional right and amendments, because on the level, it's a poor reason, for owning a gun that can cause maximum damage simply for defensive reasons.

Hunting is different, if you get your kicks out of mutilating animals with multiple bullets then that's your choice, but still not a justifiable reason for high powered automatic weapons.

The reason for our 2nd Amendment was to keep the gov't in check, nothing more nor less. Having seen what happens to citizens when disarmed, the founders of America sought to ensure we'd not be subjugated.

Typically Neo96 spews short sighted ideas that are self serving, but in this case the post is correct.

If you don't believe what our gov't is capable of doing, look at the handling of the Native Americans as we "settled" the land, the Japanese Americans during WWII, and even the handling of non-white Americans by LEOs now.

Prohibition doesn't stop anything.

Derek

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Lmao. You do realise that's the gun analogy.made me chuckle.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join