It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embarrassed by the Ignorance, Egotism, and Bigotry of My ATS History

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
"I know that I know nothing." [Socratic Paradox]

I am humbled by the fact that the more knowledge I obtain, the more unknowns become apparent. Each individual thing learned reveals multiple paths to multiple unknowns. Gaining knowledge for each unknown leads to exponentially greater unknowns. Who can learn all or know all? My ignorance greatly exceeds the things that I presume to know. I sincerely know nothing.

As all things in existence are subject to change, I readily admit to my own change. I have experienced many changes regarding my knowledge, understanding, views, opinions, conclusions, and beliefs.

"Truths" and "Facts" that I once trumpeted, exist now as err and fallacy. Former opinions of mine seem as far from me as the past they arose in. I cringe at my egotism, rudeness, haughtiness, aggression, and hate.

Although many of my past posts and threads do not reflect who I am today, they serve as a testament and reminder of my journey, growth, and change.

I would dislike to be remembered or judged for a past history of ATS posts that I no longer agree with. See who I was, know who I am.

Peace. Love. One.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Nice to see. Don't worry all those emotions and traits will resurface....all it takes is 1 troll to unlock your Pandoras box.

But uve learnt from it and will have more restraint the next time it happens.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

Quite a humbling post for MANY of us on ATS- I for one would like to join the bandwagon; I was presenting facts to a question this a.m. and the thread was closed by Semper;

Looking back, I should have not replied- I think we all do this at one time or another.

journey, growth, and change

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

We all learn by being here Sahabi.

We all had rough edges when we arrived, and have softer lines now. We all had preconceived notions about the fundamental operation of everything from governments across the world, to the universe itself, and all of those understandings have changed over time, and all of us have had to update our view of things to match the reality before us.

This is an amazing place, and being here exposes one to more information, from more sources, than anywhere else I have ever been on the net. There is no place else you could have gained the experience which lead you from where you were when you joined, to where you are now. Feel no shame Sahabi, for at least you grew and know more than you did, at least you took advantage of the opportunity and allowed the flower of your intellect to bloom here. Some have not.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
"You must unlearn what you have learned." --Yoda

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yeah, I sometimes get a little terse with my comments on here, but at the same time, I'm a very direct person--even though I know that can come across as rude and disrespectful over the interwebs, it's just the way that I am.

But like you, I think that we all have spouted "truths" that are later discovered to be wrong, but as long as you grow from that and realize that you're moving in the right direction, is there really anything for which you need to apologize?

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I however am still extremely fervent in my bigotry against ignorant And violent people.
Who were you biggoted against that you are more accepting of now?
White people?
I bet its white people.
With their bland food and severe lack of rhythm I wouldn't blame you

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Greetings- Goo... Great for You, the "other Me'. Let me ask You a question, please look at it as rhetorical if that feels better/right.

I read "Truth and Facts" Have You noticed that once You KNOW something to be 'true' have You also noticed that You then don't need or want to argue about Your KNOWING? (in this context KNOW trumps 'think' "felt" or 'believed')

Did ALL this come about when You KNEW that ALL were connected? (ALL is One• Law of One; also see: Bell's Theorem)

namaste

P.S. I guess You've also noticed that the 'wind' is now always at Your back?

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

With the US presidential political climate fomenting a sick admiration for all things crass and cruel, it totally warms me up hearing somebody speak as you do.

I don't know the specifics of what you are talking about but I absolutely love any talk of moving away from "egotism, rudeness, haughtiness, aggression, and hate". I'm still there and am working on it. We all carry baggage from our upbringing and sometimes it takes years undoing all the crap indoctrinated into us.

Anyway, I'm happy to read this. I'm sure you were already a fantastic person but sentiments like yours makes a person even better.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Ummm...well said...well said...How could I even begin to think to add anything to this...
Beyond...been there my friend

Be well...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

To be an ATS member is a life changing experience for all of us. I don't know why you feel bad about it. Your mind is open and you noticed.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Yes, so you should be Sahabi (pulling your leg)

You sycophants, the blooming lot of you, lol!

In another ten years you will say the same thing about yourselves for your behaviour through the latest decade of futile self criticism and self flagellation.

Now me? I knew I was a jerk all along. Haha!

OP, it is not "egotism" That is wrong. Me and my ex had this argument many years back. It is "egoism".

Ok, you grovelling to your own shortcomings lot, carry on the good cleansing whipping! I like to give myself a good whipping, too.

Seriously, folks, forgedaboudit! There is no special place of enlightenment we are headed to, any of us. We learn some lessons, we forget others. I am more about enjoying the now ride these days.

You are all up to standard, but grovelling in one's own humiliation and self realised weakness is a lot of fun I guess, a nice fuzzy wuzzy feelin'.

(Disclaimer: This whole comment is light hearted fun)

Now where is my cat o' nine tails?

edit on 9-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
I however am still extremely fervent in my bigotry against ignorant And violent people.
Who were you biggoted against that you are more accepting of now?
White people?
I bet its white people.
With their bland food and severe lack of rhythm I wouldn't blame you

Lack of rhythm I might grant, but simple food prepared well has its own rewards.

I used to automatically discount anything with a chili in it as too spicy, but I've learned my lesson. Now I understand the appeal of it all.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Notice how when a white person eats something spicy theire face gets kind of red.
Biologically the white man cannot eat spicy food and remain white.
it's science

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I wouldn't know. I wasn't watching my face in the mirror when I ate my lunch loaded down with Chipotle Tabasco today.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

How would you describe yourself on a Sherwin Williams paint color chart?
Snowflake?
Ivory?
Paper?
When I feed my friends ghost peppers or wasabi they turn rather Reddish

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hay Sahabi reading your rant I wish I had written it.
I absolutely admire people who have regrets.
They are brave, conscientious compassionate and just huggable.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Every seven years all of my cells in my body gets replaced. In another year I will be starting my ATS adventure in my third body.

With exception to my neurons in my cerebral cortex, which might explain a few things.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I know what you mean. In the last fifteen years or so, I have changed so much in thought, and really a lot of that is through discussion forums.
Of course, my in person actions and interactions change too, but sometimes it seems like those find their source in my changes of thought and perception which happen first through these exchanges.

I have kept the same user name for all those years, through all the different discussion forum sites I have spent time frequenting, for a reason- to remind me I am process, ever evolving, and always accountable.
It keeps me honest and authentic. I can still look up my most ignorant posts I have ever made, and must own up to them.
People who like me now can find the forums where I was basically voted off the island by a large majority.
I have tried out different ways of being and have had vastly different opinions, and that will continue.

That is why I try to include in my posts that "this is what I think right now" or "this is my current opinion" and "it may be subject to change tomorrow". Because you just never know what you don't know...

But I defend heartily my ignorance!
I mean, if we do not express it openly, we do not correct it. It just remains as is.
I'm one who thinks that mistakes and errors are our most valuable experiences.
edit on 10-12-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hello, and may Peace be with us all

a reply to: rossacus
Trolls will be trolls, that's for sure. If mindful, one's posts need not to be controlled by them.

a reply to: ReadLeader
It would be a shame to be judged as a hate-mongerer by an impulsive, misunderstood, or out of context post. Another reason to practice patience, delay, and serious deliberation when posting about sensitive issues.

a reply to: TrueBrit
Thank you for reaffirming that we're all in this together. The Information Age sure has elevated and enlightened the minds and consciousnesses of our collective. However, it is a task weeding through the misinformation, disinformation, and incorrect information, a task that I occasionally fail. I just hope that any unintended errors on my behalf do not lead others astray or paint me as foolish.

originally posted by: intrptr

"You must unlearn what you have learned." --Yoda

Great advice, though sometimes easier said than done because unlearning may be more difficult than learning. Our conditionings, expectations, and preconceptions can often limit and restrict us. Epiphanies and bursts of intuition often find root in moments of detachment from preexisting mental constructs.

a reply to: SlapMonkey
You're right, emotion and intent sure can get easily misunderstood through non-physical communication. More than an apology thread, this is an effort to acknowledge my mistakes in order to move passed them.

a reply to: dashen
Consider how like begets like. Similar things come from similar things. An apple tree will not bear a fish as its fruit. Similarly, Peace can not come through bigotry. We hope for one thing (Acceptance) by doing its opposite (Intolerance). Throughout mankind's history, war or bigotry has never created any long-lasting Peace. Centuries and millennia of fighting has failed to secure Peace.

As like begets like, Peace comes from Peace. Peace comes from Love. The Love that is known by knowing the Self and realizing existential unity as an actuality. Not superficial love attached to words, concepts, or beliefs,... but the Highest Love that is known by the relationship of All.

a reply to: JimNasium
Greetings other me!
Perhaps the litmus for "truth" is KNOWING in equanimity versus turbulent insistence of facts. Yes, coming into the KNOWING of existential interconnectedness, unity, wholeness, and oneness was a major game changer for me. Today, this realization serves as my foundation, inspiration, and motivation.

The wind, as well as my shadow is at my back

a reply to: Abysha
Thank you for the kind words! I hope you have a great year in 2016.

a reply to: YouSir
We live and we learn. May you also be well Sir

a reply to: Trueman
ATS has certainly had a substantial impact on my life. I'm glad to have found this place.

a reply to: Revolution9
Taken as light hearted!
My brother, I object. Self-criticism, in my case, is not about groveling, rather, uncensored introspection is a key to self-improvement, and strengthening one's shortcomings.

Both egoism and egotism can be hindrances to harmonious, peaceful coexistence.

a reply to: WalkInSilence
I am truly humbled! *Hug*

a reply to: smirkley
Death and decay brings about life and creation. Best wishes with your third body!!!

a reply to: Bluesma
Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspective. I agree with what you have said. Wise words have been spoken.

new topics

top topics

join