It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VMFT-401 deploys to MCAS Beaufort for Red Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Five F-5Ns from VMFT-401 arrived at MCAS a Beaufort December 1st to fly Red Air against VMFAT-501, which flies the F-35B. The plan is to fly 4v4 missions twice a day until the 11th.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this time. The B models in use here are production aircraft with current sensors and software.

www.marines.mil...
edit on 12/8/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Five F-5Ns from VMFT-401 arrived at MCAS a Beaufort December 1st to fly Red Air against VMFAT-501, which flies the F-35B. The plan is to fly 4v4 missions twice a day until the 11th.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this time. The B models in use here are production aircraft with current sensors and software.

www.marines.mil...

Good snag Zaph. The 401 is playing in some serious air density
compared to Yuma too; so I suppose many stops will be pulled out
(they still using FL100 for "the deck"?) of the pipe organs.
That and just basically the F5 is so wrung out and reliable it'll
be interesting just to see how the new (B) interfaces as dogfighter
against something almost mechanically infallible.

EDIT: Maybe In case a company or so of puppies from the
Island could stand by with some bushel baskets. Just kidding
edit on 8-12-2015 by derfreebie because: Nice weather in the summer. Skeeters big enough to milk.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

I really want to see how a production aircraft with full sensor suite does. I don't expect it to suddenly be in the same class as the Viper, but it should at least hold its own.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I don't ecpect miracles either from the 35, just because of all the
first time systems got integrated into one cluster of nightmares.
It DOES look lik ethe worst is over.. crossing feet.

One last question, and I'll have to punch outa this for bed.
Did the Viper ever evolve to fly-by-wire? I got some conflicting
stories; and if anybody's got accurate info I count on only you
and a couple of others.

edit on 9-12-2015 by derfreebie because: Thanks Zaph.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yeah, it pretty much was from very early in development. There were supposedly a few at the start of the program that weren't, but it didn't take long if they weren't.
edit on 12/9/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yeah, it pretty much was from very early in development. There were a few at the start of the program that weren't, but it didn't take long.

There's the correction to my flap from a CoSprings native. He was
saying mid 80's and I thought (???). Thanks again

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
FL100....I had no idea....wow.....

for the deck.....oh man,.....
edit on 9-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

did ya know, I posted about someone doing aerobatics at night at 100,000 feet north of Carswell....it looked like flickers that you could tell were an airframe flipping around up having fun I guess....4 weeks ago....
edit on 9-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

If there were any that weren't they were test aircraft for something. The F-16 uses a relaxed stability design. That means computers to keep it under control. The more unstable the more maneuverable, oddly enough. With the Viper a FBW system is almost a requirement.

They wanted it to be the most maneuverable fighter ever built, and NASA had recently completed tests of a digital FBW system in an F-8.

The Viper prototypes used an analog FBW system though. This led to both the first hop being an actual flight, and them almost losing the aircraft, on the same hop. The plan was top perform taxi tests, gradually going faster, then lifting off the runway a few feet, waggling the wings to test responsiveness, then setting back down. He did the tests, and lifted off, and pushed the stick to the side. Nothing happened so he pushed harder. The aircraft rolled hard to the side, so he corrected and it rolled harder to the other side. He eventually scraped the missile on the wingtip rail, at which time he pulled back and climbed into the pattern.

www.f-16.net...

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hmm short drive but I expect they'll be doing most of their business out over the Atlantic. Here's to hoping they fly 60M north. Also looking forward to any pictures they take. I feel like those two aircraft will look good together.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

I'm sure there will be several publicity shots released. I can't wait to see them either. I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Lets see if they can do like Top Gun and take inverted pics of the F5 pilots while flipping the bird

top topics

join