It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins Communicate Holograms And Now We Can See Them

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Lora73

I have no hatred at all, I simply wanted to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the thread.

You know what, Dolphins now probably are dying of laughing

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I almost can't stand it it's so cool

It's not just what they see with sound - it's what they say with sound

Am I understanding this right? They can speak in pictures?
edit on 12/8/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lora73

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Lora73

I have no hatred at all, I simply wanted to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the thread.

You know what, Dolphins now probably are dying of laughing

Yes, no...what?
Sorry, I don't go in for backslappin'

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

It did, straight over

Seriously where is the hypocrisy?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lifecitizen

It is all in the history, you should read it sometime.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Excellent find and post S&F.

Not to take this in an odd direction, but I think the more we discover how other life communicates and uncover the fundamentals of communication the better equipped we are to discover intelligent signals from other worlds.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My God.

This is finally something that gives me hope. To hear what the dolphins have to say.

Obviously, learning how the communication actually works will take time and effort. But it appears that they are communicating in images, which it seems would be somewhat "doable" from a research perspective.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is so cool and amazing. I think all us super monkey's need to step aside and let the dolphins run this planet for a while actually. We just don't seem to get it at all. We've lost touch with everything.

The next superior creature to take over after us, if anything is left to take over that is, is going to be either dolphins or octopi most likely anyway.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What dolphin's have to say... depends on the dolphins in question... I imagine some would say something along the lines of, "Yo dude, pass the puffer man." meanwhile another, "Wow man I'm sooooo high right now." and another, "Dudes did you see the tail on that porpoise I'm so getting me a piece of that, who's with me?"

Course that's all mostly the males

Girl dolphin: "Don't mind them, they're all hormone driven jerks and assholes. How may I help you?"
edit on 12/8/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I hope this is all being understood correctly?
What I'm wondering is - could this be a case of humans inventing tech that is using dolphin sonar to describe the surroundings, but in reality, it may have nothing to do with what the dolphin makes of it all?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I had totally forgotten about the puffer fish. So funny, they're not that different to us after all.

www.iflscience.com...
edit on Tuesday27fAmerica/Chicago2015-12-08T21:27:45-06:00273127341America/Chicago by lifecitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I bet dolphins think we humans are pretty dumb and when they project an image of a human it looks like homer Simpson

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ah that's great---I always figured that dolphins might likely be using this form of communication. They have an enormous acoustic echolocation cortex completely missing in primates.

Thus it may be likely that dolphins can communicate by "dolphin fax" sending 'images' which could be interpreted by recipients echolocation system.

Their language would not be sequential, grammatical like humans---optimized for continuous speech---but intermittent and symbolic. It could be that they are naturally 'literate' but don't speak with words----but what we might call to be 'symbols'. Clearly some would be related to the natural world observations --- the dolphin icon for 'fish' probably looks like what a real fish looks like to echolocation. But with time some could evolve to be fully abstract.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That is impressive. Dolphin-net.
Maybe we can get better at intercepting their pictures and put them on the internet so we can get as smart as a dolphin.
edit on 8-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Am I understanding this right? They can speak in pictures?

Yes, just like us.

What is seriously fascinating is how they create the pictures. Dolphin echolocation.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Their language would not be sequential, grammatical like humans---optimized for continuous speech---but intermittent and symbolic. It could be that they are naturally 'literate' but don't speak with words----but what we might call to be 'symbols'. Clearly some would be related to the natural world observations --- the dolphin icon for 'fish' probably looks like what a real fish looks like to echolocation. But with time some could evolve to be fully abstract.

Well said, though I wonder how many here will realize that a language comprising transmitted pictograms (as you suggest) would be significantly less expressive and versatile than a language made up of phonemes, or the visual equivalent.

I suppose it's possible that dolphins do have a language like that, in which case they would be as 'clever' as us. However — speaking as someone with a longstanding interest in cetaceans who is also a dedicated whale-watcher — I should be very surprised if this were the case.

There are two reasons. The first is that, observing dolphin behaviour in the wild has taught me that although these guys are very intelligent, they're intelligent animals. They don't come across as people with flippers: not at all.

The second is that my favoured explanation for the emergence of human language is that it evolved by sexual selection. Male dolphins don't court females as men do women; they assault them sexually. Admittedly this is an area where very little is yet known, but it would seem as if female-driven sexual selection has very little to do with dolphin evolution.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The god of ATS

Wtf? I thought I was the benefactor of ATS? Never heard of that other one, sorry.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Forgive me for this, but: OMGOMGOMG!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I dunno the ability to speak and tendency to get stoned seems to me like a recipe for bizarre abstract thought and communications. Not necessarily super intelligent thought, but more than "fish at 2 o'clock."

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Very cool finding

It will be interesting to observe if they are as amazing as Humans and if they too use this method of visual communication to find p0rn 85 % of the time. LOL

I'm not a betting man but I give it 50 years top before they have people searching for Dolphin p0rn.

Seriously, this is awesome and look forward to finding additional details.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join