It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins Communicate Holograms And Now We Can See Them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+93 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
A few years ago, researchers in Miami discovered through a series of experiments, that if they dropped a hydrophone into the water and recorded the clicks/reflected clicks of a dolphin using echolocation to visualize its environment and then played the audio back to other dolphins, those dolphins could identify objects with 92% accuracy.

This is an impressive find because it implies that since dolphins can interpret the echoes of one another's clicks to construct the same mental representation, they're effectively able to communicate what they're seeing with other members of their pod as they're seeing it.

After discovering this, the research team led by Jack Kassewitz (speakdolphin.com) set about trying to see for themselves what the dolphins were seeing. To do this, Kassewitz contacted a UK acoustics researcher, John Stuart Reid, inventor of the CymaScope.

Raw Story - This picture reveals how dolphins communicate — and how we may some day understand their language

One of the scientists, Jim McDonough, submerged himself in front of the female dolphin “Amaya” in a pool at the Dolphin Discovery Center in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico.

He exhaled all the air from his lungs to overcome his natural buoyancy and to avoid bubbles from a breathing apparatus, and the dolphin directed her echolocation at McDonough.

Other researchers then used high-specification audio equipment to record the dolphin’s signal, and they sent those recordings to the CymaScope laboratory in the United Kingdom.

Acoustic physics researcher John Stuart Reid first made two-dimensional images from these recordings and then used photo analysis to extract data and three-dimensionally imprint the signal onto a water membrane.

The process revealed dolphins relay “quasi-holographic properties of sound” as their echolocation reacts with water, Reid said.

From the SpeakDolphin press release

The CymaScope’s patented imaging process imprints sonic vibrations on the surface of ultra pure water. Reid explained, “When a dolphin scans an object with its high frequency sound beam, each short click captures a still image, similar to a camera taking photographs. Each dolphin click is a pulse of pure sound that becomes modulated by the shape of the object.” In this case, Reid used the echolocation recordings to capture clearly identifiable 2D images from the experiment, which included a flowerpot, a cube, a plastic “+” symbol, and a human being.
Kassewitz then turned to 3D Systems, inventors of 3D printing and global leaders in 3D digital design and fabrication, to transform 2D image data into a 3D-printable. vrml file. The files were then brought to life using 3DS’ Projet 660 printer, allowing the objects to be printed rapidly in full color and retaining the initial Cymascope image characteristics.

“We were thrilled by the first successful print of a cube by the brilliant team at 3D Systems,” said Kassewitz. “But seeing the 3D print of a human being left us all speechless. For the first time ever, we may be holding in our hands a glimpse into what cetaceans see with sound. Nearly every experiment is bringing us more images with more detail.” The team’s next goal is to find out if and how dolphins may be sharing these echolocation images as part of a sono-pictorial language.

The team plans to publish their research in an forthcoming paper and a documentary about their work is already in development.
edit on 2015-12-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
WOW! Amazing stuff OP. Isn't this the point where Phage usually shows up and ruins it all for us?

S&F

Rev

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: revmoofoo

Phage

Who's that?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

The god of ATS

Thats amazing OP, thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So basically anything they say or "see" is heard or "seen" by all other members of the POD.

Glad we don't function the same way, not only could I hear my neighbors gettin' jiggy, but I could see it too...."shutters..."

If true...very cool though. S&F

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
We as human make the mistake sometimes when we think we are the superior life forms on this planet. We think if we can't see it, hear it, or do, then it doesn't exist and surely no creature lower than us, has the ability to do so.

Of course that isn't correct, but it doesn't stop us from thinking and feeling that way. Problem is that we limit ourselves, and our abilities with this way of thinking.

Sound is visible to us under the right circumstances, and some people have actually learned how to see with sound.

Imagine the possibilities, if we stopped trying to conquer everything, and tried living in harmony with everything.

edit on 8-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Cleaned up.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Who's that?

Mothman.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok so now we know Dolphins use sonar as a language, how long until we can figure out that they know they are the smartest beings on the planet?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Excellent Post.. I love this stuff!

A fascinating article and post based on something that I've always wondered about.

I wonder now if the same application/theory could be applied in the possible decoding of something akin to the communication of a honey bee's dance. Supposedly after a bee has made a discovery it will return back to the hive and do "a dance" (this is not my terminology) and the surrounding bees then know exactly where to go.

Granted these are not clicks or sounds (that we know of), but perhaps we just found another piece of the puzzle to help unravel other mysteries.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
I so agree with you, in fact I also wondered the same thing when I first heard of this discovery.

I think it opens our minds to unlimited possibilities, especially when it when it comes to communicating with the other life forms on this planet.

Our vision is so limited. We can only see in certain light spectrums. Our hearing is also limited.

I love the idea of the possibility, of us finding the right technology to see what, and how, other living things see our world, and to hear and understand it the way they do.

Maybe that is the key to us finding ourselves, our purpose, and our place on this planet. It may be the key to our survival and our salvation.

Our ticket back to Eden.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So the purpose of this thread is to show that dolphins can communicate with hologrammatic signals?

What does it matter if a dolphin can communicate? People can not even communicate on this planet, so who cares about dolphins?

Is your point that Humans have become so clever as to understand how a lesser animal can communicate?

Meh.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

They are remarkable creatures

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
So the purpose of this thread is to show that dolphins can communicate with hologrammatic signals?

What does it matter if a dolphin can communicate? People can not even communicate on this planet, so who cares about dolphins?

Is your point that Humans have become so clever as to understand how a lesser animal can communicate?

Meh.

Why there are such hatred toward beings who are not doing anything wrong to people.
edit on 8-12-2015 by Lora73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

That's amazing!

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yeah but will the Dolphins cover the spread for the game on Monday night?

I'll suck this beer while I await My financial advice/tip...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous

Excellent Post.. I love this stuff!

A fascinating article and post based on something that I've always wondered about.

I wonder now if the same application/theory could be applied in the possible decoding of something akin to the communication of a honey bee's dance. Supposedly after a bee has made a discovery it will return back to the hive and do "a dance" (this is not my terminology) and the surrounding bees then know exactly where to go.

Granted these are not clicks or sounds (that we know of), but perhaps we just found another piece of the puzzle to help unravel other mysteries.

Yes, it's interesting alright, and if it's sound it's vibration in the air or in water which radiates outwardly, so I can understand that other Dolphins would know the same as the broadcasting Dolphin in some way/s, I didn't think how precise these, 'sound bytes' would appear to be. It's like Dolphins have a dot matrix, (or better) built into their brain.

Thanks to the OP for bringing the story.

To add, Dolphins brain's have four lobes, and supposedly one is given up to the senses, that begs the question why? Are they capable of building up a virtual world as it seems like here, besides the visual world?
edit on 8-12-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I dont think dolphins are a 'lesser animal' to the contrary, I think they are way smarter than us.

I'm sorry you can't see the point of this thread. I'm going to assume you're just having a bad day, I mean who does'nt love dolphins

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lora73

I have no hatred at all, I simply wanted to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lifecitizen

And I am sorry you missed my point.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

If we do before we kill them all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join