It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-extinct Amazonian tribe so connected with nature they reportedly breastfeed wild animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hello ATS

Sometimes the clash of different human cultures appears startling. Today on my news feed I read story about teenage girls happy slapping a man with down syndrome and cerebral palsy. The next was a story about the Awa tribe whos compassion spread far beyond their immediate members.

The Awa people are an isolated tribe that live deep in the Amazonian rainforest there numbers today are small with a population of about 450. They are a protected tribe and protected to some extent from the modern world.

A photographer named Domenico Pugliese is maybe one of the few outsiders to have spent time with this tribe taking photos of their way of life.

Family life is a fundamental aspect of the Awa culture, a value which Mr Pugliese said extends to their pets, including pigs, parakeets, squirrels, agouti and monkeys.

According to Mr Pugliese, pets are considered family in the same way children are. He said the pets gather food, crack nuts, and protect the tribe at night.

Mr Pugliese said women in the tribe even breastfeed some of the animals. “They feed the squirrels and monkeys like they feed their kids, breastfeeding,” he said.

“It highlights how far we have come from where we were. They are so close to nature. In fact, it is not even close - they are part of nature

Happy Days

edit on 8-12-2015 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is actually quiet beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
edit on 8-12-2015 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Wow...thank you...this is actually interesting. ..unlike all the political crap I'm having to wade through. Thank you
edit on 8-12-2015 by BlueJacket because: damn auto correct

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you for the youtube link and fixed my opening post..

Happy Days to you

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Was this after they shot Bambi and wore the baby mothers pelts?

SnF for simpler, healthier lifestyles.
edit on 8-12-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Heart opening, what a beautiful world.

If I were an alien traveling to this planet, these are the types of experiences I would be after. Nature is the most perfect part of our world. These indigenous people are Nature at its finest.

namaste

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Beautiful! Thanks for thread purp... S+F

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I wish I was born into one of these tribes. Their way of life seems so much more simple and fulfilling than modern life,. They live in harmony with the home around them, the modern world tears it down and pours concrete on top of it.

I've said this a few times on this board: we are already in the NWO, these tribes are still part of the OWO. The NWO is misrepresented intentionally, to keep us from figuring out that it has already started.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Yes it is heart opening. Glad you liked it Anter.

Hope all good with you.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
"It highlights how far we have come from where we were. They are so close to nature. In fact, it is not even close - they are part of nature"

I hate to be the voice of reason. Ah, who am I kidding?

There's no reason to believe that breastfeeding squirrels, pets or not, has ever been a typical behavior for our primitive forebears (side note, TIL, that forebearer is actually non-standard) at all (though I did once see a YouTube video of a monkey and a frog.. oh never mind).

I'm all for things like preserving pristine wilderness, protecting the environment and everyone taking some time now again to get away from the stresses of modern life and appreciate the beauty of the natural world (or move into a cabin in the woods) but people too often get caught up in the myth of the 'noble savage' as though primitive living is somehow more virtuous or even desirable for most of us.

Anyway, it's not my intention to disparage anyone or spoil this otherwise quite pleasant thread, my point is simply that one can appreciate a different way of living without concluding that universally "better" (or worse).

EDIT:

Oh, and here's a link to the story in the OP. It seems they've (unfortunately?) taken a liking to at least some modern conveniences:

Mr Pugliese said he was worried about exposing the tribe to the modern day world - but they embraced at least one contemporary item.

“They love to have t-shirts,” he said.

“I don't know where they think the t-shirts come from - they can't imagine a factory.

“Maybe they think it is coming from the trees. After all, every day, they get their shopping from the jungles.”

edit on 2015-12-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Another Eden destroyed.

We can't stand to just watch. We have to be the first. We have to touch. Even though it has been proven time and time again what happens to these tribes when modern man contaminates their world.

We are the true heathens.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There is a religious sect in India (I seem to remember) that also acts this way, harming nothing and taking care of young / orphaned animals in this way. They don't even cut down trees for fuel, rather they collect fallen branches. Everything in nature is sacred to them.
Can't remember right now the name of the sect but it's always good to see people so in touch with, and having such respect for the natural world.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
With only 450 members I understand genetic inbreeding may be prevalent, which can be detrimental.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hmmm looky there
Boobs

X

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So that's where Tori Amos is from.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Humanity before the dawn of civilization was very attached to nature. With the advent of civilization, humanity gradually started losing its connection to Nature. By time of the Industrial Revolution we have become so out of touch from Nature that we ended up conquering and damaging Nature rather than coexisting with her.

I can see a day when Karma decides to bomb humanity back to stone age for all the crimes humanity has committed against nature.
edit on 8-12-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
...so bin the carton and just go suckle on a cows udder?........if that thought doesn't put you off milk, nothing will....

Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
With only 450 members I understand genetic inbreeding may be prevalent, which can be detrimental.

Not necessarily. Of course the risk is greater if the breeding is incestuous, or takes place within a single family unit, but not if they are distant or even close relatives.

What creates the problem is the recessive gene for a trait or a defect. If that trait or defect doesn't exist among the tribe, it is not likely to occur. Keeping in mind that we come from a great primordial soup, so it doesn't mean that someone won't get the luck of the draw, and something completely unheard of, or never seen before, may just pop up.

But that is the stuff that legends and Gods are made from.

The negative health effects caused by inbreeding are due to the expression of rare, recessive deleterious genesthat are inherited from common ancestors or a single shared ancestor. Studies on population in which inbreeding is common have shown increased levels of mortality and morbidity due to a variety of genetic defects. However, inbreeding can also result in the production of perfectly healthy offspring (Bittles 1991).

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
We need to leave them alone. The last thing they need is modern civilization. It's interesting, and I'm glad we have knowledge and pics of them, but I'd have been even happier knowing we never stepped foot near them, and contaminated them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join