It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weaponry for Home Defence in the UK

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

People with firearms licenses maybe, but bows? Nah, I don't share your sentiments at all.
Plod would be way too busy with looting and riots at supermarkets.
...unless you are talking about a 1984 type despotic government happening in the near future? Got any links to support such a thought?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

A crossbow or airgun can still kill. And might be deemed as an offensive weapon if they want to. It won't take much for them to twist the rules if they want.
It is also illegal to hunt with a crossbow here in the UK.
Unless you're a member of a club. What other reason could you give for owning 1 if they changed the rules?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

A crossbow or airgun can still kill.
Who said they couldn't? Not me.

And might be deemed as an offensive weapon if they want to.
Only in a public place, and even then a police constable is just interpreting the law as they perceive it. The Crown Prosecution Service make the decision to prosecute, and courts try the case. What's your point?

It won't take much for them to twist the rules if they want.
Police constables try to twist the rules all the time. I love the game and especially taunting them in recorded interview that they have no case and that the Crown Prosecution Service will laugh at their attempted presentation of a flimsy case lol.

It is also illegal to hunt with a crossbow here in the UK.
Unless you're a member of a club.
So what? I don't own my bow for hunting, I go to Tesco's for my meat.

What other reason could you give for owning 1 if they changed the rules?
Target shooting, as I regularly and exclusively use it for. It's fun, and a great pastime for me and my son.
I assume you understand the concept of a hobby which involves skill and competitiveness?

*Edit*
You sound a bit like an 'authority' supporter, or one who fears it, what, do you want us to only enjoy target shooting with kids Nerf guns or something?! Lol!
edit on 12.12.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Ok. time for me to fess up.
I have 3 crossbows. A 1970s wilcat 175lb which is more of a keepsake. A Jaguar 175lb and an 80lb pistol crossbow.
1985 Webley vulcan .22 air rifle and Weirauch HW45 .22 air pistol.
The wilcat and vulcan are not used anymore. But i love shooting the rest of them.
The air pistol is awesome. 2 power settings, fiber optic sights and competition trigger. It comes in 3 calibers .22 .20 and .177 it is the same gun for all barrel sizes. .177 is the most accurate for 10-25m paper target shooting 600fps. .22 will travel further but slower and not as accurate.
I looked at getting a .177 barrel. Only way to do that here is to collect in person or have it sent to a local gun shop for £25 and you must surrender your other barrel,
So i found a great airgun site in the US. The same gun there is a Beeman. So, i order a barrel. Couple of weeks later i have the dangerous goods officer at Stanstead airport ringing me up telling me they had my item but i had to go and collect it within 24 hours. I told them it was only worth £20 and to send it back. They knew what it was. And now i wonder if i'm on a watch list or something.
I never made out that i'm against guns or crossbows in this thread. Just tried pointing out some rules.
The terrorist crap that's happening now is the reason they will change the law. If they want.
I've been shooting since 14yrs old. Got my marksman badges in the cadets.
I'm not against it. Its just advice only to try to educate anyone thinking about it.
That's all

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Fair one, I get that fella, no worries.
I probably would have sacked off driving to Stanstead for a twenty quid part, but I don't buy online from the US so don't have that problem.
I buy parts from a local gunsmith.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Having just watched Home alone i'm investing what little i have left in a thousand toys cars, a thousand marbles and some Tar.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

But you can't get a 2nd barrel without giving the other up.
Thank you pyramidair for plain package and the resend. I now have the option of 2 calibers. lol
Crossbow UK is great too.
I hope you lot will stop your digs at me now.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Having just watched Home alone i'm investing what little i have left in a thousand toys cars, a thousand marbles and some Tar.
Remember that in UK law it is a crime to invest in such things for the purpose of self defence though!
They must be held and owned for some other purpose such as entertainment, and only used as incidental weapons in self defence with reasonable force.
I think UK law is reasonable and easy to interpret, just a pity so many thick #s fail to understand it.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I hope you lot will stop your digs at me now.
I haven't seen 'digs' at you fella, just robust debate.
Robust debate is why I enjoy ATS...I've certainly never been here to make any friends, got plenty in real life.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Ok.
Please stop the robust debate. Lol
Ty GOS

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Ok.
Please stop the robust debate. Lol
Ty GOS
Never!
It got you to reveal your bow and airgun stash! Lol

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20143307]grainofsand[/post.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My unstrung lowbow makes for a pretty good "whacky sitck".

Strung, with arrows and at range, well thats probably offensive against straw targets and their more evil twins the extremest straw bale jihadis *not tested on humans or humans low enough to considered animals, or animals, tiny will teeth and viruses or big white whooly ones that go "baaaaah"*

For home defence?? the "big whacky stick" can work but its too long, what weapons ARE we allowed to have in the UK, i know the UK police have batons and spray - and spray is allowed to be carried - but a batton cant be carrie around - could we buy one of those for the purpose of home defence, or would we have to by a base ball bat and just say its encace the planet gets invaded by baseballs we'd have a chance? Im not a wepaons master but of all the loons out ther with guns, shotguns, axes, swords and other gnarly things - just exactly what is considered a reasonable UK home defence weapon and dont say "phone the police"

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Do you accept that it is legal for us to own all sorts of things which could be used as an incidental weapon so long as we do not possess them for the purposes of self defence then?

Do you also accept that we can use all sorts of things as incidental weapons in self defence when the force used is reasonable to the circumstances?

UK law is pretty cool as far as I have ever interacted with it.
Reasonable is the word.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Just have a reason for holding the particular item which can be argued as reasonable.
It ain't rocket science.

*Edit*
...all the talk of the police is irrelevant in my mind, when arguing with them under caution just pretend you are arguing with the Crown Prosecution Service.
They are the ones who are important, not the silly local plod who may foolishly think they are the law lol

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I accept your first point.
2nd part is a bit more of a grey area though. If you could have got away from the danger. Then it would then not be deemed reasonable

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I accept your first point.
2nd part is a bit more of a grey area though. If you could have got away from the danger. Then it would then not be deemed reasonable
Then your argument fails, I specifically stated:

when the force used is reasonable to the circumstances

...if you can get away from the danger then it would no longer be reasonable.
You seem to be looking for technicalities to argue when I have been pretty clear in a simple message.

*Edit*
So I ask again:

Do you accept that we can use all sorts of things as incidental weapons in self defence (including legally held bows) when the force used is reasonable to the circumstances?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Most of my weapons are for the upcoming mad max days, I have outfits for this also.
I have ones of these also.

It's a decent bit of kit and one I could modify to actuall really hurt folk (razors ect) but even just swinging it and using the heavy metal handle would hurt.

Plus I don't think anyones gonna mess with a mad hippy swinging a lightsaber screaming blue murder do you?.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

After i defended myself with my fists. I was still told it was unreasonable as i could have ran away.
So my answer was based on that point only. It is the only reference i have from experience to answer that question.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
MY best advice is that if you are going to buy an airgun/crossbow. Join a club. Enjoy it and be safe.
They're only weapons if used as weapons.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join