It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weaponry for Home Defence in the UK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
No guns? Sounds like you might have to back it up a few centuries and go with a sword and a shield.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KingDoey

The answer is pretty simple, get an airsoft gun ,find out what the calibre is, then on e bay buy the ammo as ball bearings, which are usually half a thou. down on the size quoted which, makes them gas tight. Oil them up and put them in the 15 shot magazine . I have a Makarov, powered by a co2 cartridge. The first five shots come out like live ammo, and are literally deadly. I'm surprised they haven't been banned.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: wildb

When someone breaks in with a gun, I will use the fact that I am the one with the most familiarity with the property, to set myself up to deploy my quiet weapons before they can deploy their noisy ones. At an engagement distance of less than 25 yards, I have the advantage no matter what the caliber of an assailants weapon might be, unless that individual happens to be the Rambo of crime.

In that situation, I could go after him with a damned elephant gun, or a mounted automatic weapon, and I would still loose. In every other situation, I am confident of my ability with a blade, and comfortable enough with all my other various bits of kit, that any person seeking to break into our premise and take either our lives or our property will rethink either their mode of employment, or the DNR they might have tattooed on their forehead.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: KingDoey
Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a young family and in this current climate don't feel the government will be able to protect us if/when the shtf...

Cheers!

Don't you guys have cricket bats, nasty weapons...

But only effective with a wide, open swing...preferably when your intended target is looking the other way (or otherwise incapacitated) so they don't simply block and catch that swing.

Plenty of adaptables in the tool box without needing to go to the sports cupboard or take up space with purpose built weapons. Some pretty nifty stuff in the kitchen too. Should needs must, ingenuity finds it's way.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Actually, a cricket bat can be employed using a gut thrust, to wind and knock back an opponent, and whilst they gain their footing, a tight circular arc, either over handed, or underhand, can be described through the air, resulting in a savage blow, particularly if one guides the edge, and not the flat, onto the target.

I experimented with the alternative uses of a cricket bat when I was actively involved in the sport, and used to wielding it against the target for which it was designed. It is actually a fairly good weight for training in the use of a broad sword, and when I used to live in a property with a back garden, I used to practice the movements involved with the various strikes normally found in a cricket match, but also with the alternative uses of the bat.

I found that as long as one has the strength to give the bat momentum, its weight can be used to keep it moving in a very controlled, small amount of space, with results which, were it to be employed defensively, would be utterly appalling to behold. I would not wager against a fellow with a cricket bat who knew the many ways it can move.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Don't get me wrong, I'd reach for the cricket bat if I had a good shot at the family jewels but I'm five-five, and weigh in at 7 and a half stone, I know my limitations, and from experience, that swinging anything is likely to get me caught up and swung. Up close and personal are where my skills come to the fore.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: KingDoeyI do not live in the UK, but there is a weapon that can be lethal. It can be homemade or bought. All it takes is a couple ball bearing for ammo. Some surgical tubing, and a Y shaped branch from a sturdy tree. I am speaking about a sling shot. Just watch some Youtube video about slingshots. I am convinced they would do the trick for you.

You are typing about about a catapult, a sling shot is two lengths of cord with a leather cup at one end, its what David killed Goliath with, well, the stone actually killed Goliath.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Cold steel UK delivers a rather nice Assegai (Short Shaft) for about £50.
"Looks good on the wall" and is a club, spear, knife and axe.

If you were in the UK and you used some sort of modified ammunition in a Paintball/Airsoft gun to kill an intruder you would be in deep shizzle.

People get away with tying burglars up and setting them on fire or even chasing them down the street and stabbing them in the back due to them being in a state of fear (or drunk in one instance) but if you are perceived to have prepared ( traps, modifications, re-purposing) and someone dies you will be held responsible.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
Cold steel UK delivers a rather nice Assegai (Short Shaft) for about £50.
"Looks good on the wall" and is a club, spear, knife and axe.

If you were in the UK and you used some sort of modified ammunition in a Paintball/Airsoft gun to kill an intruder you would be in deep shizzle.

I doubt very much that modified ammo, ie, Frozen ammo would kill, Maybe take an eye or tooth out at most. The pop pop pop and whack whack whack would be enough to put any intruder off.

From Experience in paint balling i have stopped the enemy in it's tracks with zero ammo. Just the sound of the paintball gun pop pop popping was enough to put them to ground until someone with ammo arrived.

if you are really concerned that your door may be kicked in howz about some sort of netting anchored to the walls just behind the door.
Someone may kick the door in, but i doubt very much they would anticipate some heavy netting obstacle in the way.

Gives you time to get your senses together and or boil a kettle.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: KingDoey

get yourself a two foot by two foot board and screw in six inch screws in a grid pattern say every two inches

put a handle on the reverse side and you have a very effective shield .

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

A shot to the eye, temple, behind the ear, the base of the skull where it meets the neck, the throat, the jugular.... Those would have a high percentage chance of inflicting serious, potentially lethal damage, even with a paintball gun.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have in the house three rapiers, a hand and a half long sword, several daggers, a crossbow, round shield made of aircraft aluminium, several spears and I am proficient in their use. pick a nice bladed weapon and get training on how to properly use it. I'm sure there is a local medieval reenactment group you can talk to to get that training for free.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Getting ones training from a reenactment society is a good workout, but they teach one not to deliver a killing blow.

That is...unhelpful in a serious situation.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

But only effective with a wide, open swing...preferably when your intended target is looking the other way (or otherwise incapacitated) so they don't simply block and catch that swing.

I have a cricket bat given to me as a gift and I would not want to be hit by it.

Maybe you all should pick up baseball too, nobody on this planet is going to block a steel baseball bat swing and walk away.

edit on 9-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

very true for safety purposes it is stringently taught not to follow through and properly deliver a killing blow, but the mechanics are the same and you can modify that training to be leathal. at one simposium I attended however we hung a side of beef and removed the safety devices from one of our rapiers and sharpened it (we purposely dull them for safety reasons while fighting) . Then we asked one of our smallest female students to take a normal thrust at it as if she was sparring with someone. she buried the tip of that blade 6 inches (14 cm roughly) into the hip bone. even with what we taught about safety a properly sharpened blade will kill.

edit on 9-12-2015 by Daavin because: spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Haha...was thinking the same

Bournemouth is nothing but lovely

My favourite seaside town (I know its a city)

I really don't think you've anything to worry about...no need for weapons for sure!

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I carry a two piece walking stick.
what few know is i trained on the Bo staff and Escrima sticks.

I have carried my staff on planes, in malls, in federal building with there security metal detectors and never been questioned about my walking stick.
www.zapboy.com...

If someone questions my walking stick i will never say its a self defense weapon.
its JUST a WALKING STICK.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Good few suggestions ladies and gents. Much appreciated.

It seems melee weapons are generally the way to go. I do think i will purchase a crossbow aswell for a bit of firepower and range.

Bournemouth is indeed a lovely seaside city. However as anywhere there are some really dark parts to it. One of which i live right near to. Hearing of local violent robberies seems to be on the rise in recent years and I know several people who have been burgalerised over the last 6 months.

Any recommendations for decent crossbows?

Cheers

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but I spend my night staring at my bedroom window with my gun in-hand, otherwise it's not much use in the event that someone might attempt to break in.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join