It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weaponry for Home Defence in the UK

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

So with what you said I can own a Saiga 12 in the UK?

Yes. It would be a Section 1 firearm because it has a detachable magazine.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

You sir have bought music to my ears haha I shot one of these when I was out in Latvia. Now I've got a dilemma .. Pump shot gun or Saiga 12 .. Better start researching!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

You sir have bought music to my ears haha I shot one of these when I was out in Latvia. Now I've got a dilemma .. Pump shot gun or Saiga 12 .. Better start researching!

You have plenty of time to research. Depending on the waiting list at your local club, you'll be at least 12-18 months away from getting your FAC anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob
I appreciate the advice
don't get me wrong I'm not the type of person who just wants to own a shotgun for the sake of it. My dad and I are both interested in weaponry especially firearms we are the type to read up on guns and general research about firearms we want to do everything above board and learn as much as we can about using them for sport and what not

edit on 18-12-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: added text

edit on 18-12-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: Removed unnecessary text

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

a reply to: EvillerBob
...don't get me wrong I'm not the type of person who just wants to own a shotgun for the sake of it...

Why not? Absolutely nothing wrong with that. The police might want more of a reason but you don't need to justify it to me

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob ha very true
sometimes it's hard to judge characters on forums just wanted to put it out there that I'm not a wannabe gangster and to boast about having guns. My dad also being ex police likes to do everything by the book
we will have a reason to own them as we intend on taking up shooting as a sport

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
For UK home defence, basic weapons like the Lanksy world legal knives especially the one that is basically a Karambit, also the Brooklyn Shorty. Also an Airhorn, coming downstairs or moving from room to room blasting an airhorn, most burgulars will run as they know you know they are in your house and most likely have called the police.

Looking at some of the other comments:

Leaving a weapon at the front door, that is a no go, if they enter the door quickly you have armed them as they will pick up your weapon to use against you, you keep your weapon beside you in whatever room you are in.

Crossbows/Bows definite no, you have one shot and in the panic more than likely you will miss, it's great shooting at static targets with no pressure, but have a constantly moving target and even family members inbetween them and you have a recipe for disaster. Worst case scenario you injure a family member or you miss your one shot in which case he/they are on you. Or you hit one and the other guys are on you.

Anything shooting fire from it, your in your own home you really want to be using fire??

Slingshot, exactly the same problem as the crossbow/bow you have one shot and you are far more likely to miss.

Mace/Deodorant in the the eyes, similar problem chances are you will miss and you need to be very close range, while your trying to spray him he is stabbing you.

Short indestructible bat backed with by a knife can do fast and quite possibly lethal damage if they are backed up with a determination to do harm against a home invader. If you don't have the will power to fight then stay in your room baricade the door and call the police.

At the end of the day, your main concern is to keep yourself and your family safe, if you can get everyone into one room and baricade the door while blasting an airhorn and call police then do it.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianEagle
Lol you know it all don't you?!
I'm happy to be standing at the top of my stairs with my xbow pointing at the first one coming up! Once that invader gets it his mate is facing the claw hammer or the wrecking bar.

*Edit*
This ain't the US, the overwhelming majority of burglars here are emaciated heroin addicts who don't carry weapons because a common burglary charge could be a minor fine while same with say a knife is guaranteed prison.
Safe as # here mostly, even with our particular breed of thieves.

edit on 24.12.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think a .22 semi automatic mp5 will do the trick though but that's for SHTF scenario, as for home defence regarding break ins and burglaries .. A nice metal bat, dumbbell bar, cricket bat will do you good.

For Christmas I was bought by my dad and torch which can be extended using one twist of the torch into an extended baton its light weight feels like it built to last, hey if i can't hit them the torch LED is so bright I could always blind them temporarily

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Hey Peacemaker, you hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to say. The torch which is also a baton is perfect for your father, blind/disorientate them and then club them, perfect example of someone grounded in reality.

I know my response above may have annoyed people but the point I was trying to make was that Loud noise as in an Air Horn backed up with a bat and knife is far more effective than a Bow/Crossbow or Fire.

People commented about using fire, in their own home, we have to get back to reality here and I know when I said that it probably didn't come off well for some people.

But using fire in your own home is a complete no go, might look good in the movies not so good in real life when your family is upstairs and your setting your home on fire to deal with a burgular.

Also Bows/Crossbows, your in a high stress situation with a moving target, so unless you have experience of using those items in extremely high stress situations when your adrenalin is pumping and your vision is narrowed and it's dark then forget about it, all about reality.

Home invasion is all about keeping yourself and your family safe, Rambo's need not apply, if pushed then a knife/bat swinging away is your best bet.

Again this is for people in the UK, not other parts of the world where a gun could be used and the chances are your facing someone with a gun.

If someone can counter argument using Fire, Bows and Crossbows and how they could remain extremely calm and confident in a high adrenlin charged and stressed environment then please let me hear it, I honestly do want to learn.

People might not like what I've said and I understand and accept that and I respect everyones views.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Well your response didn't annoy me it seemed pretty good answer to be honest. You don't need fancy weapons to protect yourself in your home unless like you said you are trained in using certain weapons. My dad taught me how to fed off someone with a rolled up magazine before. Roll it up nice and tight so it's nice and solid and the ends of the magazine could cause a bit of damaged especially if you manage to get the attacker on the nose which would result in breaking it slightly incompasitating your attacker briefly for you to escape and get safe

When it comes to home defence it's not about killing its about giving you the time for you to make an escape with your family or just possibly fending off an intruder

At the minute I have no firearms (that will soon be changing) and when i do I'm still going to having an easy access weapon. I won't have time to go in my loft unlock two cabinets to access my firearm when an intruder in tryin to greater me, break in etc etc

To be honest .. If you are tight on money and need something basic to defend home go to a sports shop buy a baseball bat or a cricket bat. Not only will they inflict a bit of damage but having something that is relatively long will also give you a better reach and also allows you to keep a distance between you and an attacker the last thing you want is to end up rolling about on the floor in a fist fight

Tomorrow I'll post a pic or two of the torch/baton my dad bought me in case people are interested I'll also ask as to where he purchased it

Stay safe!
edit on 29-12-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: Deleted text

edit on 29-12-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Sounds to me you are on the right path.

One thing. A cricket bat and base ball bat in theory seem fine but have two drawbacks. They are slow, especially on the return. They also have too much reach making them unwieldy in a tight spot. Just buy a rattan escrima stick. 21-26 inches long, which along with an outstretched arm is plenty of distance. They although lights and very adroit also pack plenty of power to beat a person down. Any decent swing with the stick will shatter bones, anywhere period. They are wicked fast too. Nobodies goinn to screw with you intruder or not even if they are armed with anything short of a firearm if you got that thing swinging at speed. Best part. You can buy them online for like 15 US dollars.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR
Cheers BASS that's one drawback I forgot to think about with cricket or baseball bats is the swing. If you've answered your front door there isn't going to be a lot of room to use a bat if you are in close quarters. I've never heard of a rattan escrima stick I've just googled what they were and now I want one
thanks for the reply

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join