It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weaponry for Home Defence in the UK

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
a reply to: grainofsand

After i defended myself with my fists. I was still told it was unreasonable as i could have ran away.
So my answer was based on that point only. It is the only reference i have from experience to answer that question.
You failed when you meekly accepted what you were told.

*Edit*
Sorry man but you really sound like an advert for the 'don't defend yourself' crowd.
Perhaps you could benefit yourself reading up on laws regarding reasonable force.

edit on 12.12.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: KingDoey

Weapons can be owned if treated responsibility - there's also a list of banned weapons (will find link as rusty myself).

i.e in a pub fight it's far more effective and legal to throw salt in smoone's eyes then squirt mustard in their nose in 'incapcitae them' perfeclty legal, than to smash a glass on their head.

Main focus should always be on avoiding the situation in the first place - if a guys foaming at the mouth flushed and rabid, try to speak to him and see you as a human ' tell them you're on the way to look after a sick relative or something as at that stage it's still possible to turn the guys adrenaline into flight mode and he runs away to hide after realising what an arsehole they're being,

If a person goes paler or gets tight lips with teeth showing, they're seconds away from attack so either run or put some keys between your knuckles and put them on the floor before they can act - a bit of salt in the eyes never fails either (guaranteed to have them crying on the floor unable to see for a good 15 - 30 mins) - giving time to get the guy locked up for good.

------

Above all keep a level head and don't let their intended terror get to you - chances of being caught up in these messes are millions to one.
edit on 12-12-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: Ismynameimportant

HP Brown Sauce...

One of the best - that horseradish and mustard in the eyes, nose, mouth is all legal (condiments aren't weapons in the UK).
edit on 12-12-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Or kick em in the goolies!.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I suppose if you both had a weapon it would be considered reasonable.
I only commented on this thread to make people aware of points they may not have known.
Not to argue the toss and get called the don't defend yourself crowd or the other crap you said earlier.
I have tried to be polite and informative.
You do not know me. So please don't judge me. I haven't to you.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

Weapons can be owned if treated responsibility - there's also a list of banned weapons (will find link as rusty myself).

i.e in a pub fight it's far more effective and legal to throw salt in smoone's eyes then squirt mustard in their nose in 'incapcitae them' perfeclty legal, than to smash a glass on their head.

Main focus should always be on avoiding the situation in the first place - if a guys foaming at the mouth flushed and rabid, try to speak to him and see you as a human ' tell them you're on the way to look after a sick relative or something as at that stage it's still possible to turn the guys adrenaline into flight mode and he runs away to hide after realising what an arsehole they're being,

If a person goes paler or gets tight lips with teeth showing, they're seconds away from attack so either run or put some keys between your knuckles and put them on the floor before they can act - a bit of salt in the eyes never fails either (guaranteed to have them crying on the floor unable to see for a good 15 - 30 mins) - giving time to get the guy locked up for good.

------

Above all keep a level head and don't let their intended terror get to you - chances of being caught up in these messes are millions to one.
Are you taking the piss? Really?
Lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Or kick em in the goolies!.

In training I received that was always the fourth and final step (intelligent honour even though Daesh are scum).

If the first three fail, kick, grabbing twisting and tearing/biting will make even the hardest nut crack.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

I suppose if you both had a weapon it would be considered reasonable.
I only commented on this thread to make people aware of points they may not have known.
Not to argue the toss and get called the don't defend yourself crowd or the other crap you said earlier.
I have tried to be polite and informative.
You do not know me. So please don't judge me. I haven't to you.
Get over yourself fella, this ain't facebook.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Lol. Nice sabres
edit on 12-12-2015 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Or just a quick one man take down.
We were talking at work the other day us lads and we have all just realised how hard we all actually are because of the fights and how we deal with them has become second nature just finished a late shift and had to defend and restrain 4 times today.(bloody 15 quid shirt ripped off today
)
Thing is you can be a black belt or a 9th grade ninja but if you can't take a hit...
edit on 12-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I gotta ask what happened when you threw salt and/or put mustard up some assailants nose.
How did you get the mustard up the nose?.
Cos I would love to see that scenario.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Oh mantraps! are we allowed man traps?.

Like home alone.

Oh and watch this...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

So long as your purposes for owning the mantrap is not self defence or harm to another then you are good to go.
UK law is cool with owning all sorts if the reason for ownership is not based on self defence or harming others.
edit on 12.12.2015 by grainofsand because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I assume you're taking the piss referring to siege weapons. In the UK we generally call slingshots 'catapults'. Barnett Black Widow being the most popular.

E.g
www.ronniesunshines.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

UK law is cool with owning all sorts if the reason for ownership is not based on self defence or harming others.

Thats the saddest thing I have ever read, I could never live in a country where self defense is illegal..

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

The list of "banned weapons" you're referring to is probably the list of weapons considered offensive "per se" - in other words, the prosecution doesn't have to prove that they have been made/adapted/are intended for use as weapons.

SI 1988/2019

(The link is to the original, but it has since been expanded to include curved blades meeting certain criteria)

Legend has it, Parliament just wrote a list of things that appeared in the adverts on the back page of a martial arts magazine.

They're not technically "banned", though it is essentially the same thing for most people. If you owned them prior to the law being changed, you can still legally own them. Since the law changed, you can't make/buy/sell them. You'd need a really solid reason to take them out in public!
edit on Ev15SundaySundayAmerica/ChicagoSun, 13 Dec 2015 06:15:12 -06005522015b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildb

Thats the saddest thing I have ever read, I could never live in a country where self defense is illegal..
Self defence is not illegal, it just has to be reasonable to the circumstances.
Possessing an item for the purposes of self defence is illegal, are you able to see the subtle difference?

Say I am woken by home invaders intent on attacking me then it could easily be deemed reasonable in law for me to stand at the top of my stairs with my loaded crossbow shouting that I fear for my safety and will shoot whoever approaches me.

I own the crossbow for target shooting purposes and it happens to be stored in my bedroom for safety reasons to keep out of the way of children. My ownership is legal.

If however I owned the bow for the intended purpose of self defence then that would be illegal.

Perhaps the law is too subtle for some folk but it is easy to negotiate when considering intentions and reasonableness.

It is reasonable to use force in the UK to remove danger to ourself or others. When the danger has been dealt with then we must stop. So say I shot a home invader with my bow and he was on the floor writhing in pain it would not likely be reasonable to continue stamping on his head until he was unconscious. I would phone for emergency services and tend to the wounded intruder to stay legal.

I have no problem with the law in England and Wales, it is reasonable for the most part.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Possessing an item for the purposes of self defence is illegal, are you able to see the subtle difference?

Say I am woken by home invaders intent on attacking me then it could easily be deemed reasonable in law for me to stand at the top of my stairs with my loaded crossbow shouting that I fear for my safety and will shoot whoever approaches me.

I own the crossbow for target shooting purposes and it happens to be stored in my bedroom for safety reasons to keep out of the way of children. My ownership is legal.

If however I owned the bow for the intended purpose of self defence then that would be illegal.

Perhaps the law is too subtle for some folk but it is easy to negotiate when considering intentions and reasonableness.

It is reasonable to use force in the UK to remove danger to ourself or others. When the danger has been dealt with then we must stop. So say I shot a home invader with my bow and he was on the floor writhing in pain it would not likely be reasonable to continue stamping on his head until he was unconscious. I would phone for emergency services and tend to the wounded intruder to stay legal.

I have no problem with the law in England and Wales, it is reasonable for the most part.

As you say it's albout justifying the weapon as something not intended soley to cause harm.

When I lived in my van I had a cricket bat just in case but I also had a cricket ball in case the rozzers asked why I had a cricket bat

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Exactly, the intention and purpose is the question in law.
I carry a 2.5 inch folding knife on my bunch of keys, I've been stopped and searched before now and the cops have asked "Why are you carrying that?" to which I replied "It is a useful tool for cutting purposes" they have then given it back to me.

Had I replied "In case I need it for self defence" then they would have a case to arrest me.
It ain't rocket science negotiating the law, just some folk are thick as pig# and/or too lazy to investigate and interpret the legislation.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: grainofsand

As you say it's albout justifying the weapon as something not intended soley to cause harm.

When I lived in my van I had a cricket bat just in case but I also had a cricket ball in case the rozzers asked why I had a cricket bat

Yip. I have a Baseball bat, Ball and Glove....just in case a some Baseball breaks out in west central Scotland..you never know.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

That's why I went for the cricket bat

Baseball bats are only ever used for cracking ribs and smashing knees round here whereas cricket bat and ball are fine and dandy.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join