It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Earth Quake... Tsunami

Im not a doomsday dreamer, but theres big reason why I think this thread should be added to...
The recent earthquake and tsunami caused the whole world to shake... Although you didnt feel it; Our earth's axis is off by a few centimeters. Now... What I remember from my earlier years of schooling that the earth works as a system... If one parts affected the others are too. Now not to forget this super volcano. If I am right, Yellowstone has been less active in the last month, with few recorded volcanoes leading up to and after the recent events.
Before a great storm hits, theres always a lead to and a calm. Then it hits. I believe that this volcano will erupt within the next 5 years. Although Im probibly wrong this is definatley a topic for discussion. (my first post :lol

Mod Edit: to remove ALL-CAPS from thread title.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There's lots of other posts to this topic. Pages, if I remember from the last time I searched. It's a fascinating story, but there are probably more than enough threads already posted on the subject.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks but I did a search and all I found was a National Geographic post saying there was a documentary on T.V about it. And If there is a thread about it out there its inactive and also neglects the point that the recent events may have caused something new.
Thanks anyways

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Try this:
search

I'm sure you find there something interesting for yourself

good luck !
jazz

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Based on your theroy I would be more concerned with North American sysmic activity or more specifically the Cascade Mt. region. I would take the stance that Mt.Reiner having a major eruption could cause more damage cross countinent then a minor YellowStone. It would definately be worse for Seatle.

Talk about coincidences the Science channel aired "Mega-Tsunami" around mid December. The 60 min show spent 30 min talking about a Cannary Island that could slide in half into the Atlantic. The results would toast the entire Eastern US coast in 2.5 hours, Boston to Miami

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Iris You can see here that the San Andreas fault is long overdue for a quake.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ikema
Based on your theroy I would be more concerned with North American sysmic activity or more specifically the Cascade Mt. region. I would take the stance that Mt.Reiner having a major eruption could cause more damage cross countinent then a minor YellowStone. It would definately be worse for Seatle.

Talk about coincidences the Science channel aired "Mega-Tsunami" around mid December. The 60 min show spent 30 min talking about a Cannary Island that could slide in half into the Atlantic. The results would toast the entire Eastern US coast in 2.5 hours, Boston to Miami

Interesting... but a yellowstone eruption wouldnt be minor; Instead its a 38km caldera thats been building up pressure. If and when It does blow 3/4 of the US will be covered in ash, and the sun will be blocked out for a few years. But Im gonna go look into Cascade MT.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Feel so stupid... Right after I posted that I realized that the Cascade Mountain Range is Mt St. Helens;
The effect of a yellowstone eruption would be 10,000 times worse; unless you have different info.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The last several Yellowstone eruptions decimated what is now the Ohio valley and beyond. They happen every 300,000 years or so and the last eruption was well over 300,000 years ago. It could happen tomarrow or a thousand years from now.

Mt Rainer, St Hellens and several other volcanos in the Cascade range do and will go off every 200-600 years on average. Rainer will be the worst from pyroclastic flows into the Tacoma area.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by IntelRetard]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
The last several Yellowstone eruptions decimated what is now the Ohio valley and beyond. They happen every 300,000 years or so and the last eruption was well over 300,000 years ago. It could happen tomarrow or a thousand years from now.

Mt Rainer, St Hellens and several other volcanos in the Cascade range do and will go off every 200-600 years on average. Rainer will be the worst from pyroclastic flows into the Tacoma area.

600,000 years ago... and were 40,000 years overdue... Yet that information is invalid due to there only being little data as to time frames between eruptions. But any person well involved in earthscience knows that the earth works as a system... My qestion is if this has become more of a threat than it was before due to the recent events.

Please someone who is experienced... give us some input

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Alright, since this thread hasn't died. My two cents.

1. Pressure can cause minor eruptions in calderas, but the types of explosions that are catastrophic are caused by a drop in pressure. The giant stone cap over the top collapses like a whale out of water, and displaces the magma in a jet miles high.

2. The magma chambers that feed both calderas and other types of volcanoes are interconnected below the surface of the earth. If someone were to precisely map those channels, earthquakes could be used to predict volcano eruptions more precisely. That's a big if though. I don't think anybody has any idea, or can tell you definitively what will happen next. There is a lot of raw data, and there are a lot of opinions and theories tested to various degrees, but there are few facts to support any conclusion about the engines that drive our earth because we simply don't know enough about anything. We've been too busy killing each other for thousands of years, and as a species have no clue what's going on around us.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
True, but what were looking for is if any recent event have triggered it or may cause it to erupt sooner than usual. Is there any unusual activity going on around the region, or in nearby areas?

Yes, For one the caldera is in a "calm" or thats what I think... Its show little activity recently.
Hopefully Im completly wrong and it may of setteled it, but thats highly unlikley.
What I want to know is if its posing more of a threat now...

Input please

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
anyday now, I will get coverd with some Mt.St Hellens ash...

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yiamconfused
Feel so stupid... Right after I posted that I realized that the Cascade Mountain Range is Mt St. Helens;
The effect of a yellowstone eruption would be 10,000 times worse; unless you have different info.

Actually the Cascade region is roughly 27 seperate volcanoes from Californa to British Columbia, Mt. St. Helens being one volcanoe in that chain. Here's a link

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Now your original post asked if the resent quake (9.0) near Sumatra would effect Yellowstone. My guess would be no, it would be a greater chance that a Cascade Vocanoe would be effected base on the case that both areas are part of the "ring of fire" in the pacific a connected chain of faults and plates. Yellowstone would appear to be a completely differant system much like the Hawian Islands. While I readily agree everything is inter connected at some level I do not beleive that Yellowstone is more likely to erupt now because of the Indian Ocean activity.
If I'm wrong....EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!

top topics

join