It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

150th Birthday of Jean Sibelius, the Finnish Composer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
December 8th, 2015 marks the 150th birthday anniversary of the great Finnish Composer, Jean Sibelius.

Rest in Paradise
8/12/1865 – 20/9/1957

Below is Sibelius on the Finnish Currency:

And here is his famous Symphony No. 5 - he is said to have been inspired to write this after watching a group of 16 swans taking flight; a majestic sight that left him awe-struck:

I am not too familiar with classical music but I'm beginning to really appreciate a number of different composers. It is a great topic because there is so much material out there and different orchestras re-playing the same pieces but with a different sound.

Anyway, Happy 150th to Jean Sibelius, a legendary man.

edit on 8-12-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
ah!
so thats why AVID named a software sibelius.

makes sense now.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

Interesting! Something I didn't realize until I started researching classical music is how many of these artists/composers thought of music, tones, notes, etc. in a scientific way.

Jean-Phillippe Rameau is a great example of this.

There is so much history to go along with classical music as well. Fables too - like the one about how jealous rival, Antonio Salieri, supposedly killed famous legend Mozart (apparently this has been disproven in recent times, it appears that Mozart actually died from strep)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Happy Birthday Jean
Jean Sibelius aka Janne Finlandia opus 26

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

My favorite Sibelius is the third movement of his 2nd Symphony. The movement begins slowly with a full orchestra and begins to build. Classical composers would build a theme and and work it around until it climaxed at the end. But in his third movement Sibelius begins the build up to the climax over and over and over and each time when it has built to such a crescendo that you think surely this must be the finale he backs off, spins around and starts over again. Of course until he really does arrive at the finale which is pure explosion. It is something to hear on ear phones. Just sit back and let the music float you along drifting until it picks up speed like a river, getting tumultuous as it goes, over and over until you finally reach the ocean in a big rush. What a trip.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That's awesome that France puts composers/musicians on their currency instead of a-hole politicians.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

It's actually Finnish currency (before Finland was on the Euro).

If you want to see other individuals they put on their currencies see here (Olympians, Novelists, Artists, and I did see a Statesman, so they of Course have SOME politicians on their currency
):

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
That's awesome that France puts composers/musicians on their currency instead of a-hole politicians.

Many European nations used to put famous composers on their banknotes before the Euro Currency came into use.

Here is a Bank Of England Note with the famous English Composer Sir Edward Elgar.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Thanks for the share - foreign money (and older money) is so beautiful.

Maybe we should have a thread for it. I have tons I haven't been able to even identify.

top topics

join