It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida 'burglar' is eaten by an ALLIGATOR while hiding from police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
A story about how crime does not pay.

Matthew Riggins was spotted lurking behind homes in Barefoot Bay, Florida on November 13 by neighbors who called police. Police arrived on the scene around 2am with K-9 units and a helicopter but could not find the men who were able to flee and hide. Riggins, 22, called his girlfriend during the chase and let her know he would be laying low. He made his way to the edge of Barefoot Bay pond and was reported missing by his family later that day. Ten days later on November 23 Riggins' body was found floating in the pond with an aggressive 11-foot alligator nearby guarding the corpse. A trapper had to euthanize the alligator, whose stomach contained Riggins remains.

An alligator drowned a Florida man trying to hide from police - and then ate his remains. Matthew Riggins, 22, was reported missing on November 13, shortly after he and another man had made a plan to rob houses in Barefoot Bay according to his girlfriend. His body was found 10 days later floating in Barefoot Bay pond - closely guarded by an 11-foot alligator. 'He hid in the wrong place,' said local resident Laura Farris.

The alligator also met an untimely end on the day Riggins body was discovered as a trapper from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was forced to euthanize the reptile after it aggressively began approaching divers sent to recover Riggins corpse.

LIN K

You would think a local resident of Florida would be aware how the waters of Florida are infested with alligators.

Is it possible we can learn something from this tragedy? Is this poetic justice?

edit on 8-12-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Dec 8 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer
That people in Florida who commit crimes can be stupid? It is not justice of any kind to be eaten by an alligator for attempted burglary.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I hate how we always have to kill any wild animal that kills a human. I know it's to keep a "taste trend" from starting but at the same time we're the only thing on the planet that there's too many of.

I'd have gave the gator a badge.
edit on 8-12-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Agreed. It is their world after all. This delta bravo experienced divine intervention. He committed the crime, and became the prime (rib) that is.

Stay in school kids.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
That people in Florida who commit crimes can be stupid? It is not justice of any kind to be eaten by an alligator for attempted burglary.

True.I am not thinking it is a just punishment for the guy to be eaten...but also, why shoot the alligator? The guy wandered into his area.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

According to other news coverage they killed the animal because it was very aggresive and prevented recovering the body.

But I guess they would have to kill it anyway to recover the bodyparts that were in it's digestive system. It's the evidence value that would be the most important reason.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Nobody notice the irony it happened on Friday the 13th ?

So the moral of the story ? Get a pet alligator to protect your home and don't rob peoples houses on the 13th

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The moral of the story...If the police don't get you Karma will.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Actually, the reason to euthanise the animal, primarily was the immediate risk to the police dive crew, and not the mere fact of its having eaten a prowler/burglar. Also, it would have been necessary to force the animal to endure a painful surgery to have the contents of its stomach removed, to make certain of the location of the burglars mortal remains.

Forensically speaking, the bite marks alone would not have been enough, in a rigorous and exacting investigation into his death, to have identified cause of death, and indeed the culprit, in an absolute and unquestionable manner.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Wait...are they sure it wasn't George Zimmerman?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That was a good hiding place. The cops would have never thought someone was dumb enough to hide down by a pond with crocs in it.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
On the surface its hard to say this guy got what he deserved. However, who knows what else this guy has done? Maybe this has been building up for a long time. You have to admit, that is one serious piece of karma that has to balance out somewhere...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
He would have likely got a bullet in these parts. Between coyotes and wild hogs there would have been nothing left to find by sun rise.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Reminds me of this picture (when a Florida man tried feeding the crocs)

images.duckduckgo.com...

Makes me want to put up signs outside my property saying "Beware of the crocodiles" and put out some inflatable crocodiles on the front lawn.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

You're right, it's not justice, it's an occupational hazard

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
That gator performed literal gene pool removal service. Somewhere, he just earned his wings.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Natural selection at work. There is no IQ prerequisite to be a criminal.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join