It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitewashed Earthsea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone actually watched the Sci-fi remake of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea a few weeks ago, but apparently in addition to being just plain awful, it was innaccurate and very....white. While this may not matter to some, it matters ALOT to the actual writer.

Here are some of her comments from
slate.msn.com...

"They then sent me several versions of the script�and told me that shooting had already begun. I had been cut out of the process. And just as quickly, race, which had been a crucial element, had been cut out of my stories. In the miniseries, Danny Glover is the only man of color among the main characters (although there are a few others among the spear-carriers). A far cry from the Earthsea I envisioned. When I looked over the script, I realized the producers had no understanding of what the books are about and no interest in finding out. All they intended was to use the name Earthsea, and some of the scenes from the books, in a generic McMagic movie with a meaningless plot based on sex and violence.

Most of the characters in my fantasy and far-future science fiction books are not white. They're mixed; they're rainbow. In my first big science fiction novel, The Left Hand of Darkness, the only person from Earth is a black man, and everybody else in the book is Inuit (or Tibetan) brown. In the two fantasy novels the miniseries is "based on," everybody is brown or copper-red or black, except the Kargish people in the East and their descendants in the Archipelago, who are white, with fair or dark hair. The central character Tenar, a Karg, is a white brunette. Ged, an Archipelagan, is red-brown. His friend, Vetch, is black. In the miniseries, Tenar is played by Smallville's Kristin Kreuk, the only person in the miniseries who looks at all Asian. Ged and Vetch are white. "

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That is why I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. I knew it would be butchered.

new topics

join