It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy launches USS Zumwalt, stealth destroyer, for sea trials

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

You'd be surprised. They're not as easy to find as people think.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Results of the trials were "generally positive" although propulsion system repairs have delayed the next round of trials until sometime this month.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: AmericanRealist

They're only building three or four now. They'll be more demonstrators than an actual class of ships.

You'd hardly guess that your country was around 20 Trillion dollars in debt would you?

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I get we need to progress and all... but 800k per shot from that new gun... nobody thought before hand this might throw the training budget a tad out of whack...

Popular mechanics

I used popular mechanics simply because it was the first on the google.

A May report by US Naval Institute News estimated each LRLAP round to cost between $400,000 to $700,000. For context, the smaller Mk. 45 5-inch gun, standard on Navy destroyers and cruisers, fires an unguided round with a range of 21 miles. Each round costs between $1,600 and $2,200. The LRLAP round was developed by Lockheed Martin. In 2001, the director of Lockheed's guided projectiles division claimed the LRLAP would cost "less than $50,000 each." Even factoring in inflation, the rounds have ended up costing nearly twelve times as much.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the short sighted waste of money... and it was a waste in my opinion because nobody stopped to question costs, when you change orders... dumb peon common sense says costs are going to change maybe we should look at this.

All this going on and I still know junior enlisted having trouble getting their cold weather gear...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join