It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy launches USS Zumwalt, stealth destroyer, for sea trials

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Bath Iron Works launches USS Zumwalt for first sea trial
(wcsh6.com)

The new Navy stealth destroyer was launched on the Kennebec River, headed for its very first sea trials in the open ocean. The destroyer is expected to make at least one stop in Portland this week.

Crowds gathered along the river's edge to see the ship, which is 610 feet long and weighs in at 15,000 tons. It's the largest and most technologically advanced destroyer ever built for the Navy, as well the first all-electric warship. The cost of the ship came to about $4.3 billion dollars.

The Zumwalt's "tumblehome" hull and unusual pyramid-shaped deck are designed to make the ship look much smaller on radar.

What is the Zumwalt? USS Zumwalt: it's one bad-ass all-electric stealth ship. I served aboard a couple cruisers back in the day, which are traditionally a larger class ship than destroyers, and this thing is easily as big as any cruiser, and carries one helluva punch, with the radar cross section of a fishing trawler.

Oh, and it's captained by Captain James. A. Kirk. (A. not T. heh)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

It's shaped a bit like an old confederate Iron Clad

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm used to seeing a lot of weapons on destroyers. I sure don't see many weapons on that thing.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Half a again the size of an old "treaty" US navy heavy cruiser of world war two vintage...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Check out the armament on the wiki link the OP provided. It is impressive.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They're stored in the hull to reduce the signature.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Mostly missiles I'm guessing? Are big guns kind of a thing of the past?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This video says it turns sea water into fuel...

The second video is a time lapse of the launch from drydock.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

There are 2 155mm Advanced Gun Systems mounted on the forward hull. They fire Long Range Land Attack Projectiles, which use rocket assistance. The shells are designed to travel 83 nautical miles. Lockheed has test fired them to 59nm so far.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
This video says it turns sea water into fuel...

The second video is a time lapse of the launch from drydock.

Of course it turns water into fuel...why wouldn't our goverment only make this technology for a weapon versus setting up fuel depots along the coast...that's just dandy...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I see they only went $1.3 billion dollars over budget based on the cost estimate in the video and then the price listed in the article. Thats over a 30% mark for a single piece of equipment. Hopefully future variants, if the Navy orders more, can come back down. We are talking carrier prices here.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

They're only building three or four now. They'll be more demonstrators than an actual class of ships.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

ok so this is basically one of those platform that is more a show of capabilities and seeing how new programs and innovations work out in deployment then??? Well next gen stuff is important and there is no better way to test those features than actual support and combat roles. Man that price tag just feels, a little bit heavy.

That power system is rather innovative though. If it works out we may see incorporated a decade from now across multiple Navy and maybe civilian applications.

I look forward to seeing this thing succeed !

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
While its signature is boasted as that of a fishing trawler the truth is this thing can be rendered invisible...

It's electromagnetic capabilities pay homage to the Philadelphia Experiment...

Nor is it truly the first of its kind it's the first of its kind made public yet the best is still being hidden...

Find it hard to believe?

Just wait til you see an aircraft carrier that is fully submersible and capable of supersonic flight...
Ya I said aircraft carrier...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yeah, they talked about canceling them completely because the price got so high, but by that point they had started construction, and already paid for a lot of equipment. They eventually decided they were best used to try out new equipment and design ideas.

I can't wait to see what that hull does in the open ocean. It's apparently not the most stable shape. But it's great for radar signature reduction.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Looks like a prop from a vintage James Bond movie.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Initially there was talk it was going to be fitted with a rail gun but development of that has taken a lot longer than initially envisaged. They're still thinking about putting one on the third of the class iirc. It produces a mountain of excess electricity so there's a huge amount of upgrade capacity built in.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Be interesting to see the follow on class, the same thing happened with the Seawolf and the Virginia.

It still cracks me up that the Navy has given command of it's most advanced vessel to Captain Kirk.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I just finished reading a fictional book that had a fictional USS Zumwalt in it.
The book was called "Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War"
www.amazon.com...

In it the Zumwalt has been fitted with a rail gun system. There is also a ton of other high tech weapons in the book.
Probably a more realistic portrayal of what a war would look like when drones are as common as infantrymen.
Sometimes I think it got a bit to high techy and tried to throw in too much Tom Clancy but still not a bad book.
Most of the weapons are based on current tech or stuff that's on the drawing board.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
While its signature is boasted as that of a fishing trawler the truth is this thing can be rendered invisible...

It's electromagnetic capabilities pay homage to the Philadelphia Experiment...

Nor is it truly the first of its kind it's the first of its kind made public yet the best is still being hidden...

Find it hard to believe?

Just wait til you see an aircraft carrier that is fully submersible and capable of supersonic flight...
Ya I said aircraft carrier...

Well they got the whole Crew being welded to the deck and bulkheads and just plain dissapearing into thin air fixed since the last time they ran the philidelphia experiment. SO i dont see any problems with time travel or spacial anomolies being a issue this time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join