It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian PAK-FA Shifting to Avionics Development, Procurement Scaled Back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The tests confirming the flight characteristics of Russia’s fifth-generation PAK FA (Prospective Airborne Complex of Frontline Aviation) fighter jet have been actually completed, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said in an interview with Rossiya 24 TV Channel on Monday.

"Several planes are now primarily testing airborne avionics. The tests proving the aircraft’s flight characteristics have practically been completed," the deputy defense minister said.

Depending on the complexity of the avionics, this may be a while before the PAK-FA is done based on the F-35 experience. It might mean the PAK-FA's avionics are actually significantly simpler, too.

Buried, slightly, in there is something really interesting though:

Deputy Defense Minister Borisov earlier told the media the Russian military would purchase only a squadron of PAK FA fighter jets, compensating this with a larger order for Sukhoi Su-35 (NATO reporting name: Flanker-E) fighters, TASS reported.

That mean its pretty close to 'toast?'

link.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

They announced several months ago they were only getting 12 aircraft, and would decide later how many they would ultimately get. I predicted before that it would end up being more of a technology demonstrator roll than an active aircraft.
edit on 12/7/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They did announce that.

However, the previous announcement was, as you said, "we're buying some now, but maybe more later."

This is sounding like, with the offset of purchasing the Su-35s, the only T-50s being bought will be that first, sole squadron.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Which goes well with my earlier predictions if it does. I think either way they had to get the -35s though. They need to modernize.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

We'll be into 6th gens before anyone else's 5th gens reach IOC.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Perhaps. While I hope we've learned from the problems of the Joint Strike Fighter Program and the Zumwalt and the FCS and...we still did them and its possible some PM will take us down that road again dooming us to repeat history.

I think they'll IOC their first 5th gens between 2020 and 2025. I doubt we'll have a 6th by 2025.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I think the Russians were expecting oil to stay high. They bought into the 'oil will stay high' bubble pretty big time. If the price had stayed high, they could have thrown money at the PAK-FA and fielded a fair number even if they were early production models.

However, they didn't count on the power of Americans saying 'frak' and pissed off Saudis together.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
It looks like SA gave Putin the carrot & stick treatment 2 years ago....

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/10266957/Saudis-offer-Russia-secret-oil-deal-if-it-drops-Syria.html

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Sammamishman

I think they'll IOC their first 5th gens between 2020 and 2025. I doubt we'll have a 6th by 2025.

We might not have them fielded, but we'll have them pretty darn close (2025 -30), or at the very lease pretty mature developmentally. All the major players are into the R&D phases.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I wonder if this is really a question of timing and economics: Russia made massive defense commitments during the height of the oil boom and with all that cash, it could afford it. Now, it has to be realistic: there is not that much money available and these programs are insanely expensive. But also, what about the timeline? I could take another decade or more to really get the capability going in this plane, and even then, it could still be lagging behind an upgraded F-22. And we re then looking at mid 2020s, around 2025. And guess what America will be doing by then? A 6th generation fighter will be flying in advanced prototype form. Russia may well try and focus resources for that period. France already has. But the oil price better recover soon: if we are looking at 3-5 years of sub $60 oil, then Russia will be in real financial trouble. Sustained sub $40 oil? Get those Mig-21 plans out again...!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It is India which is mainly funding the project. They will be the main buyer. Maybe China will buy a few after the failure of their 5th Gen fighter.

Edit: Just checked and would like to add, that Russia is in talks with India to sell them 154 planes initially. It will be signed this month AFAIK.

Link
edit on 10/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

They already have the deal largely in place, but India has been cutting numbers. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was originally 154 I think and now is down into the 80s IIRC.

There were hangups over performance, cost, and technology transfer.

edit on 12/10/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They already have the deal in place, but India has been cutting numbers. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was originally 154 I think and now is down into the 80s IIRC.

There were hangups over performance, cost, and technology transfer.

I am not sure about that. But even 80 planes are a big number. My link is from the 8th December and states its 154 and soon to be signed. But I must confess, I dont have deep knowledge regarding this deal. Only what I hear in defence forums once in a while.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Because India hasn't officially come out and said they're cutting it yet. It's been leaked that they are though. Without an official statement they're sticking with the original number.

The word is they cut it to 127, then cut it again to 65. Three squadrons of 18, and training aircraft. They also said they're willing to take standard production aircraft instead of aircraft specifically built for them.

m.ibtimes.co.in...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because India hasn't officially come out and said they're cutting it yet. It's been leaked that they are though. Without an official statement they're sticking with the original number.

The word is they cut it to 127, then cut it again to 65. Three squadrons of 18, and training aircraft. They also said they're willing to take standard production aircraft instead of aircraft specifically built for them.

m.ibtimes.co.in...

Ah i see. I think this cutting numbers deal has some complications because of the two types of planes, one India specific and the other general one. Maybe they are cutting the India specific one and increasing the other and keeping the total same?

In any case, we will soon know. There is a Russo-India sumit this month where the deal is going to be signed. Please do keep us updated with these defence related news. Thanks))

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Everything I'm hearing is they're cutting total numbers. They are willing to take production aircraft, and update them to their standard later. It'll be interesting to see what happens at the summit.

new topics

top topics

join