It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magical World of Aquascaping/Living Terrariums (WITH PICTURES!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Interesting timing. I just set up my 55 gal. and was given a 75 gal. for free. I would love to try this.
In the pictures, I don't see any filtration equipment. Is it well hidden, or not needed, even with fish?
edit on 8-12-2015 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Those are amazing!

We're actually building out a green house currently for aquaponics and as an enclosure for our tortoise. I'll add pictures once its done to this thread.
Very cool!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'd love to build something that epic, tryed adding some plants to my tank but the fish destroyed them, might have to wait until they die off and start from scratch.

I like the idea of keeping poison dart frogs too, their colours are awesome.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Those are some inspiring photos. If I were going to own a terrarium I would put a lizard in it of some sort and it would be a very large terrarium that would be akin to a room with a huge window in it.

Iguana

Chameleon

Armadillo

Leaf Tailed Gecko

Those are only a small number of the sort of creatures I would put in my terrarium.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SurfinUSA

It would be pretty cool. but, none of those species you've listed work well communally with each other.

Your best bet would be to have an individual set up for each of them. They all require slightly different things (like humidity, food, how water is given, tank size, air circulation, temperature), so you'd actually have a good opportunity to study up on the different habitats they all come from, and individually create all those habitats per species.

WARNING ON GREEN IGUANAS

That large, walk-in terrarium you're referring to is the perfect size for a full grown Green Iguana. Honestly, anything smaller is actually too restrictive. Most people don't realize that Green Iguanas can grow to 6 feet long, and many are naturally very aggressive. They certainly are not a starter reptile to get, and require a huge commitment (not sure if this would be your first or not, it's just good practice to spread this information). Also, a higher humidity would be prefered.

The armadillo lizard requires pretty much the opposite. It needs a super hot basking area, and a warmer cooler area than the rest of the species do. They also need a significantly low level of humidity (because they come from a more arid part of Africa). Having too high humidity could actually be extremely problematic, and cause things such as scale rot.

The Panther Chameleon and the Leaf tailed gecko need about the same humidity levels and heat levels, and they also need lots of vegetation to hide in and around. I'm not sure about the leaf tailed gecko, but the panther chameleon actually needs to be sprayed with water directly drink, and usually wont drink out of a static water holding dish. So both may need an automatic misting system to keep humidity up, and/or a drip system so they can drink water.

If it's your first reptile, definitely go with the armadillo lizard. Much easier care, you'll get to learn a lot about the specifications on how to keep an exotic animal, you'll get used to cage sizes and requirements, and it's still very rewarding. Only move up to the Chameleon and Leaf tailed gecko once you have all this knowledge down flat. As for the Green iguana, it remains one of the most 'saved' reptiles in the US because people don't realize how massive and potentially aggressive they can get. Do not even think about getting one unless you're willing to donate an entire room to it's care. And even then, it may be best to adopt one that has been saved, as most people do not do their research before buying any pet.

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Interesting timing. I just set up my 55 gal. and was given a 75 gal. for free. I would love to try this.
In the pictures, I don't see any filtration equipment. Is it well hidden, or not needed, even with fish?

Some of those are just built for shows. But it's still very possible to put filtration systems in all of them, providing you have the correct setup under the substrate. There's a lot of tutorials out there that can show you how to do it easily and still achieve whats in the photos
edit on 8/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I've been building vivariums(living terrarium) for poison dart frogs the past few years. Let me tell you, its by far one of the most relaxing hobbies that I've gotten into.

Biggest piece of advice that I can offer, is to be patient and research, research, research. Keep in mind that these are mini ecosystems, and achieving a balanced system is extremely important for the life of the habitat and its occupants. This goes double for fish and amphibians.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks Ghost. I've been doing some research, and yeah, most "long term" planted tanks, with fish, do have filtration systems, but the plus is that while there is a lot of care and cleanup, from the plants themselves, there is much less, as far as the fish go, as in less water changes and filter media changes.

Now I just have to talk the hubby into two large tanks, instead of just the one. a reply to: Ghost147

edit on 9-12-2015 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I love the Avatar inspired mini "Hallelujah Mountains." Super cool. My mother actually enjoys terrariums a lot, and I can't wait to show her these!

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Thank's a lot Ghost.
Think i must save this thread for later use.
Made myself a 450 Liter aquarium a few months a go but wanted something new so your thread came like a Christmas gift.
Now i must buy a small fish-tank while the new environment get ready.
The hanging stones really solve some problems i have with plants that needs a lot of light.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Norge

Glad to have helped. Just make sure to do TONS of research on the plants, and even more to see if they are compatible with the animals you have

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread!

I have been designing a rather innovative aquaponics system, but aesthetically, its been all business. After seeing this though, why not put some time into it too?

Its inspired a load of new ideas, thank you for that!

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
!!wow just wow! thank you!!!
a reply to: Ghost147

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Google "Peninsula" by Justin Grimm, it's truly a work of art. The YouTube video shows all the bells and whistles he had built into the tank.

There is also a new company called Biopod that has some pretty innovative designs. Definitely worth looking into

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainyState
Google "Peninsula" by Justin Grimm, it's truly a work of art. The YouTube video shows all the bells and whistles he had built into the tank.

There is also a new company called Biopod that has some pretty innovative designs. Definitely worth looking into

Very cool! and extremely well done!

Here's the video for anyone who's interested

I really like how artistic it looks, yet totally natural. I'll have to take a look at the biopod products too. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: In the related videos in that Peninsula video is this awesome Paladarium, but for a BIRD! I don't know why it never really crossed my mind before, but it looks awesome and makes me want to get one!

edit on 10/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I LOVE integrating living things in my personal environment. I would shrivel up and die without them. I was blown away by this! I bookmarked this thread, and hopefully soon I will be able to set up something like this.

Thanks OP!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is awesome OP! Thanks for sharing!

I really like the pic of the fishes swimming in a terrestrial (non-aquatic) looking forest! That's just neat.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spinx
This is awesome OP! Thanks for sharing!

I really like the pic of the fishes swimming in a terrestrial (non-aquatic) looking forest! That's just neat.

I really love those kinds of setups. The technical term for them is "Paludarium". Many setups actually don't enclose the full tank, but have one side where the glass is simply above the water line (as seen in the video with the bird I just posted a few comments up). Here's some more

They looks very abstract to what we're used to -full water or no water- but, you can get quite creative with how the small amount of water in their is featured.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This thread is so inspiring and relaxing to look at.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks

Although, it's a bit dangerous. It makes me want to dump a bunch of money on a whole lot of tanks and start experimenting

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Yeah, I can see where this could be addicting and expensive. Think I'll stick with the silk plants in my tank for now. I had some live plants in my turtle tank and the turtle ate them all. LOL

I have a fish tank on my kitchen table. I sit here at my kitchen table on my laptop for hours on end and I love looking at my rescued goldfish. Yes, rescued. They were supposed to be food for bigger fish that my Niece's husband had and he had so many, I asked if I could buy a few and he just gave them to me. I saved one of the rats he had that was supposed to be snake food. He had a few and I begged to buy one from him. He gave me her too. LOL On my Kitchen counter, I have a small tank with tiger fish like these...

Then there is a big bowl with my beautiful beta fighting fish. He is sooooo beautiful! In my living room, we have this recess in the wall where my husband built up a shelf and it closes with double plexiglass doors and fancy little knobs to open the doors. I have a big tank with my turtle in there and pots with real plants on each side of the tank. All tanks are decorated with fake greenery and stuff and looks so pretty and soothing.
Come Spring I will be getting some fancy guppies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join