It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there no end to Bono's egoism?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012
I sense Irish-phobia.

LOL he took you seriously and edited the thread!

Revolution, put the Irish part back in please, I'm part Irish too so you have my permission

Everybody hates Bono.

#NoBono

Thanks, better leave it out though. I get quite sensitive about such things. I'm the least racist person anyone could meet. I am being a bit slap and cheek. I don't hate the man. It just winds me up. He shows up like clock work.

My goodness I adore the Irish. Truly, madly, deeply.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
French victims of islamic terrorism forgotten? I don't think so.

The christmas party massacre victims seem well on their way to being forgotten though.

The episode of Saturday Night Live that aired after the French attack skipped the opening sketch and had a poignant tribute to the victims of islamic terrorism.

The epesiode of SNL last weekend, just two days after the biggest islamic terror attack in the US since 9/11 was not recognized at all. They went right into an opening sketch bashing Trump/pimping for Hillary. It seems many on the left think the innocent American victims somehow deserved it for some reason.

I didn't even pick up on that until you just mentioned it.

I'm not a big SNL fan but, yeah....wth?

After Paris it was all about the seriousness of the opening dialogue, this SNL episode...the only thing I read about was that Ryan Gosling got the giggles.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

I sense Irish-phobia.

No, not even slightly. There is Irish blood in my family. I live in a Celtic area very close to Ireland and am a folk musician. I am indeed Bonophobic. I will remove the Irish reference just to make that clear.

That was joke by the way, it's all good.

Gotta admit I like Bono's songs, quite a rare talent..

I like their earlier stuff a little. I think he sold out due to fear about where things were going. His plane being shot at really happened. Bob Dylan did the same thing. They are actually or at least were good friends, Dylan and Bono.

I feel a bit mean now, but it just got to me. This latest escapade seems very condescending and patronising. It is too over the top. In today's cynical climate Bono will make more enemies than friends with over the top stunts like this. It is too contrived and lacks spontaneity, seems a bit of an emotional sham and hollow of true sensitivity. Well perhaps people like the pomp of it all, but an horrific incident like that in Paris is a bit beyond a pop concert. I wrote a thread here recently about music and that it is far too hyped in the West. Music is just an amusement. It can't feed the hungry, stop all the wars and stop terrorism. I don't like this modern methodology of using it to harness crowds toward a certain ideology or emotional response. That is manipulation.

edit on 7-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
a reply to: Revolution9

If you look at the photographs on stage above the slogan "justice for the forgotten" you will see they are all old photo's. I think they are of victim's of the "troubles" in Northern Ireland during the 60's and 70's, and are people whose bodies still havnt been recovered.

They certainly are not photo's of victims the Paris attacks

That's correct. While I do think that U2 is such an overrated band, I don't object to anyone reminding us of what went on in Northern Ireland, something that is piece meal at best. The pictures shown I am guessing may be part of a series shown, I don't know though.
The trouble with all the politics and world wide mayhem is, that it makes much of great bands who only wish to entertain and pass on their enthusiasm for music, seem shallow and void if there is no immediately obvious/overt political message, indeed some of the newer bands make a living out of it, even if some of the stuff they use is built on a house of cards.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

I like their earlier stuff a little. I think he sold out due to fear about where things were going. His plane being shot at really happened. Bob Dylan did the same thing. They are actually or at least were good friends, Dylan and Bono.

Agree, I like the older ones and still listen to two of my favorites songs from U2 in my 80's genre playlist..

Sorry, I know it was a rant but I guess there is always a good side to all things bad..

edit on 7-12-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I hope he is forced to eat his own head.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

If you look at the photographs on stage above the slogan "justice for the forgotten" you will see they are all old photo's. I think they are of victim's of the "troubles" in Northern Ireland during the 60's and 70's, and are people whose bodies still havnt been recovered.

They certainly are not photo's of victims the Paris attacks

That's correct. While I do think that U2 is such an overrated band, I don't object to anyone reminding us of what went on in Northern Ireland, something that is piece meal at best. The pictures shown I am guessing may be part of a series shown, I don't know though.
The trouble with all the politics and world wide mayhem is, that it makes much of great bands who only wish to entertain and pass on their enthusiasm for music, seem shallow and void if there is no immediately obvious/overt political message, indeed some of the newer bands make a living out of it, even if some of the stuff they use is built on a house of cards.

I think Bono will be showing victims of terrorism generally. The fact is I don't need people like him pontificating to remind me. Maybe his audience and fans like it? I find it patronising. I bet Bono knows all to well the real picture. He is no fool. I think he is trying to walk a fine line between humanist philanthropic values and the status quo.

We have to admit that Bono performs his music to whatever humanitarian crisis is in the media and public eye. That's a bit shallow. At least Angie Angel Jolie Pitt sticks to her causes continually, not just when they become popular. For that reason a lady like her gets my respect. She has the endurance of commitment. Man, she even has her own little multi cultural tribe of children.

If you feel for something surely you will maintain a commitment to it beyond the "cause of the day". Bono is acting like a newspaper headline so to speak. He is like a teenager who gets into the latest hip cause.

Enough of my Bono bashing. I hope I have been polite enough. He sure has a lot more going for him than I will ever have so someone somewhere must be wishing that to be so.

edit on 7-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Oh I couldn't agree more with this thread.
He is such a weirdo.
I think he actually thought he was going to save the world during the mid 2000's.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I'm pretty sure they covered that topic on South Park.
He was the world record, so to speak.

That was the first thing I thought of after reading the OP.

To quote Stan,
"That's why he is able to do so much, try to help so many people, but still seem like such a piece of $h!t."

Warning, the following video may offend some people.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

He's a scumbag - even when he makes an appearance for some charitable/aid event, he wears some type of expensive sunglasses then talks about these children who have nothing (proceeding to leave his sunglasses on - disrespectful if you ask me)

Bono sucks. S & F Revolution9 lol

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

It's because he's a number 2. I thought that was common knowledge now?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I am convinced, on no evidence whatsoever, that there is a connection between the big advertising campaign that Bono and his band did for Apple Corp, promoting the iPod, a few years ago, and the possibility that Apple Corp, the cult like purveyor of techno gizmos to the masses, has very large amounts of money stashed in Irish tax shelters.

At the time of the ad campaign, I really thought it odd that Bono, cool dude in the colored shades, would take time out of his life to shill for some corporation, going so far as to show up at one of Steve Jobs' annual love-ins with core Apple press zombies, coming on stage with the, by then ailing tech mogul and pretending to be his friend.

Did the Irish government put pressure on U2 to acceed to the Apple King's wishes in exchange for most favored tax shelter status?

Of course America doesn't really need tax money any way, because it isn't really spent on anything useful to taxpayers, anyway. Right?

Wrong.

Don't like U2. Don't like Bono. Don't like corporate tax dodgers.
edit on 8-12-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Maybe. Bono sheltering his money from taxes is nothing new.

Bono, Tax Avoider

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thanks for the link. I guess it is a community of interest.

To me one of the worst things about Bono's shameless hob-nobbing with powerful political leaders is the message that it sends to his young fans, that maybe the rumors of those people being mostly poisonous toadstools is not true.

I think he's a disgusting guy.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
U2 used to be my favorite band back in the 90's. The last good album was in 2000, since then they've been down right horrible and that's comming from a composer/musician/singer.

Bono's been a victim of fame since the end of the 80's, his ego truly knows no end.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm Irish.

I'd like to apologise to the rest of the world on behalf of the Irish People for our responsibility in creating Bono.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It's very reminiscent of Gwynth Paltrow telling two-job mothers everywhere that there is no excuse for not spending time with your kids or hiring a nanny....to moms...single moms...who make 8.50 an hour

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

a great illustration for comparison, Gwyneth is, if I recall the most hated person in Hollywood (or might be right up there in the top 3). Sounds like it isn't unwarranted either.

These people have no souls

top topics

<< 1   >>

join