It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tech Giants Say Verizon’s New Cellular Tech Could Wreck Wi-Fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wow this could be interesting.

It appears that Verizon is pushing to utilize the unlicensed spectrum in order to implement a mesh network like infrastructure using LTE-U. By pushing the phone manufacture to embed chip on their phones they are hoping to utilize a combination of new, small cell towers and home wireless routers.

Typically I find the best solution to the internet and regulations is opposite of what Comcast is seeking . However, in this case Google, MSoft, and Comcast have joined forces to go against Verizon.

Since Verizon is not that much better than Comcast when it comes to fair consumer practices , it makes speculation even more interesting.

Google:

I'm surprised Google would go against something that enables greater internet coverage to the masses as thats how they make their butter and eat it too.

However, since this could become a mesh uncontrolled network they stand to lose that foothold they have on the internet. In addition, a mesh network could also allow for high anonymity which also hits the Google piggy bank.

Comcast:

Well its comcast , anything that is good for the consumers or provides competition and they can't charge extra for they don't like.

Verizon:

Verizon has had a tendency of shooting themselves in the foot like when they pushed to undo net neutrality which then caused the FCC to come into the play pen.

Perhaps they are looking at short term savings by allowing users to bare the infrastructure cost, without seeing the potential for being utilized as a mesh network in the future. A reliable vastly spread mesh network could allow for users to access the internet or an alternate internet for free even with high anonymity.

However, I guess another concern besides saturating the unlicensed spectrum is that once a Corporation finds something useful they are quick to grab it back from the consumers.

www.bloomberg.com...

Tech Giants Say Verizon’s New Cellular Tech Could Wreck Wi-Fi Google, Microsoft, and Comcast are fighting a Verizon-led push into unlicensed spectrum.

edit on 301231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 14:30:34 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

soon it will all fail is the good news

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

Not sure I'm following ? Are you suggesting the internet failing is good news?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I know quite a few of these communications companies have tried using home user wi-fi systems as a cheap wireless network. In the UK BT do the same. Anyone could connect to one of BT's wi-fi routers, plonk down some credit card cash to get a 1-day or 7-day pass, then just use that home users wi-fi router as if it were there own. The only problem is that it's only as reliable as the home-owners willingness to keep the router switched on. You are out of luck if you arrive home on a Friday, pony up some cash, and your neighbor decides to go away for two weeks and switches everything off.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Yeah that has been one of the biggest issues with mesh type networks and the unwillingness of people to share there network resources with others.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Seems to me it will not wreck wifi in any technical sense and this is about companies trying to keep technology off the market because of their own self-interest.

Does that actually some up the issue?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't see how this would destroy WiFi?

If this really was the case would this not be used by the military for some dodgy dealings.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Comcast is doing that with XFinity. We always shut down at night and during the day

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Thats what I'm thinking as well.

If its open access points then it should minimize the connection conflicts and firmware/software could perform the load balancing and status monitoring.

Hence the saturation would then become a good thing as it would give more available bandwidth and access points.

There are many ways to go around the saturation issue to make it positive thing versus a negative thing. Heck the hardware could be self enabled depending on saturation.

The only time I have a problem with my neighbors 2.4ghz wifi router is when I don't have the password ;-)

Here is more info from Googles perspective which I haven't had a chance to go through:
apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=60001078145

edit on 261231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 15:26:39 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Its hard to make out the differences from the lack of details I have seen so far. However, it appears that they will not be using a wifi connection but rather cellular connections.

I guess it could be the equivalent as xfinity but at the cellular phone level and they will not require any logins.

It sounds like its implementing mini cell towers on embed devices to overcome monopolistic practices between two industries and overcome limited access to install towers. I know of family members that get almost 10K a month for allowing usage of their land to the cell phone companies.

This looks like a pissing contest between the telephone companies and the ISP and we the consumers will be lucky to only get the sprinkles on us.

BTW you can disable the comcast sharing feature , I did right before I sent my modem back to them and got my own.

Disable Xfinity HotSpots

edit on 401231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 15:40:11 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

what verizon is doing is removing itself from the actual bandwidth provider world, and suctioning off the bandwidth of householder broadband users.

In essence, Verizon is seeking to unload the burden of bandwidth purchasing onto the home ISP providers, and only provide a gateway into this aggregated bandwidth.

Cheap bastards....LOL, i expect that the ISP's that provide home and business services will have some legal maneurvering to do, too. Unless Verizon figures a way to make them whole.

The ones who will end up taking it in the keister will be us consumers. Unless you are under your datacap comfortably, it could cause you to incur greater charges.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thats what i was thinking but from the scarce information i read its not clear if they will be using broadband or deploying mini embed cell towers or combination?

If they are just creating an access point to your broadband connection this isn't a new thing unless they are making it open to annomous connections, which i doubt. Hence why the objection from google. Comcast i can understand but google benefits by more devices online. So there is some magic in there that isnt quite clear from the info I have read.

One thing is likely, as you mentioned the consumer will likely be collateral damage.

edit on 281231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 18:28:46 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 311231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 18:31:54 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
They are talking about using the 5Ghz band, which is one of the two radios on your dual band routers right now. Depending on the amplification of the devices, it could definitely ruin WiFi. Its called "RF Jamming". If Verizon wanted to simply introduce routers into peoples homes, that product already exists and no one has a problem with it. My guess is LTE-U is powerful enough to jam other devices on 5Ghz band if so many are complaining.

new topics

top topics

join