It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing Issues 1st Smog Red Alert, Orders Half of Cars Off Roads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BarefootInWinter
A really weird step also mentioned on CNN.com included the banning of fireworks during the alert period. I...wouldn't think firework displays contribute so much to the problem. I do understand they leave traces of pollutants in the air (which anybody can see with fireworks set off at home), but exactly how many fireworks are these people setting off per day that leads to them being banned during moments of high-alert?!

In in a city where fireworks are at least a weekly thing downtown thanks to NFL, minor league baseball, television filming, and/or various music events......we're still kicking out negligible amounts compared to the Beijing level overall. I guess it's a case of "every little bit counts" but dang.

Sometimes it's not about whether a proposal is effective or not; it's about giving the appearance that leadership is trying everything.

It's kind of like having "bomb shelters" at home in a nuclear strike. The homeowners are still going to die, either from the blast or from the radioactive fallout. But at least it gives people the illusion of hope. (Plus a lot of people demand kneejerk reactions, regardless of whether those proposals are proven to reduce the problem.)

Another way to put it is, this is the difference between solving a problem and satisfying the public until they calm down. If you look at it like that, I'm sure you'll notice a lot of similar situations & lame proposals.

<< 1   >>

join