It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing Issues 1st Smog Red Alert, Orders Half of Cars Off Roads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Authorities in Beijing have forecast 3 conseccutive days of severe smog under the new 4 tier system for smog alerts with the 4th tier being the highest. Beijing has ordered restrictions such as factory closure, limited number(s) of cars that can be on the road, and school closure(s).

long with school closures and limiting cars to driving every other day depending on the last number of their license plate, a raft of other restrictions will seek to reduce the amount of dust and other particulate matter in the city of 22.5 million people. Officials said extra subway trains and buses would be added to handle the additional strain on public transport.

It's the second time this month that notoriously polluted Beijing has experienced a prolonged bout of smog, sending PM2.5 levels in the suburbs as high as 976 micrograms. Beijing was also shrouded in persistent smog for most of November, when power demand soared due to unusually cold weather.

Wow, this sounds really bad, ATS. Air so polluted that you shouldn't breathe it. What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is probably a silly suggestion, but is there no way some large building (Skyscraper sized) can be constructed that acts as an air filter? Am I wrong in thinking that would even be remotely doable?

-Alee

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I say this is very sad. How horrible it must be to live there.

It's hard enough to breathe here when we have ozone alert...can't imagine this on top of it.

Air in the U.S. used to be pretty horrible before mass efforts were made to clean it up...but this is way, way beyond anything we ever had to deal wirh.

The fault lies with both the government who allowed/did not foresee this and industries who put profit over people.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is an outrage...hopefully they have fullfilled our demands for hoverboards and flat screen tv's.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Its coming here in a few years too. Its considered normal living now. Corporations say I need to own the latest Iphone and a new car to be socially acceptable though so I'm all for it.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
This is probably a silly suggestion, but is there no way some large building (Skyscraper sized) can be constructed that acts as an air filter? Am I wrong in thinking that would even be remotely doable?

-Alee
doable sure. profitable? nope, therefor wont happen

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

This isn't surprising - I would've thought they took strong action against this problem some time ago (but apparently not?)

I saw a pic of Beijing at noon (last week news article) and it looked like 7pm or later

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Where is "here"? North America somewhere, Europe, Australia????

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
This isn't surprising - I would've thought they took strong action against this problem some time ago (but apparently not?)

Many of the municipalities have, but many of the surrounding provinces have not.

Beijing has been reducing their coal consumption since 2006. But, Shandong, Inner Mongolia, Hebei, etc, have all been drastically increasing their coal usage. The wind and natural geography does the rest.

Beijing is just the unfortunate recipient of the majority of pollution generated in north eastern China, and anything done on the west coast of North & South Korea.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It is sad that we destroy everything on the planet to the point our existence is jeopardized then we remember to do something.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

-Alee
doable sure. profitable? nope, therefor wont happen

Ya know, sadly I think you're right.

However, just because you're right doesn't mean I'm going to accept that kind of behavior from the world. Now, there's not much I can do about it personally, but wouldn't you think that all of these "global warming/ greenpeace/ save the planet" groups would make a donation? Or people of considerable wealth? This is not just a concern for China, eventually this is going to, and should already, be a global issue.

I'd like to see these multi million/billion dollar companies who are always bleeding hearts for the environment step up and do something huge. I think its going to take the help and support of multiple businesses, coalitions, and families but I know it can be done.

When are we going to say enough? I know I don't want my future lineage breathing in that crap. It starts with China. Do any Americans know who we as citizens can write to, in order to encourage a project be funded to clean the air?

-Alee

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is mind blowing, 22.5 million people, all in one city. All they are waiting for, is a weather pattern to dillute the air particles. 976 micrograms, is a lot of junk floating around in the air. And this stuff accumulates in the air till it rains, then comes down on another country or the ocean. And we wonder why Earth is becoming so unstable with weather patterns, animal reproductions, extinction, illiness, etc.... This is such a terrible situation, and what will become of this, nothing, but worsening smog. The only way I see to fix this quickly, is a mass relocation of people, and the way they live there lives, 22.5 million people should be cut into a 1/4 at the very least. with all hands on deck, to quickly find solutions to a cleaner way of living for everyone, not just Beijing. Earth is screwed, without all of humanity changing its ways

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't think the Chinese government is all that concerned with the negative impact on the people.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The Chinese government is slowly killing their own citizens. It's going to take their entire population battling lung cancer until they realize the need to control factory emissions and implement filters and scrubbers to control exhaust fumes.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Has anybody seen this yet...Chinese Artist Makes Brick Out of Beijing Smog

Essentially, a guy walked around Beijing for 100 days and vacuumed the air as he walked. He later took the contents from the vacuum and made a brick from them dirt, dust and chemical particles.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
We had some water damage in our kitchen floor. I repeatedly urged my husband to have a look at it and see what was causing it and what could be done. He said, "It is just from dripping too much water when we wash dishes." I was dubious but he's a pipefitter so what do I know, right? Several months later the floor was much worse; I pointed it out to him again. He got angry and ignored me, insisting we didn't have the money to fix it anyway, so what did I expect him to do about it? At no point did he actually get down and LOOK at the plumbing to see what the problem might be. When he refused to even look at the plumbing to find out what the problem was, I realized that he had no intention of ever fixing it or even admitting that there was a real problem. I plan to walk away from this crappy house in a few more years anyway, so after nagging for a few weeks I let it go again. We are barely staying married anyway and it just was not a battle I wanted to fight at the time. Next, I waited an entire year; by this time the floor was completely destroyed, the subfloor felt like walking on a sponge, the cupboard interiors were ruined, and we were starting to have ELECTRICAL problems in that corner of the house. So I demanded again that he have a look at it. I would not let it go this time; the freakin' house was going to burn down!

He finally looked at it (after almost a year and a half) and found that, lo and behold, it was a relatively simple matter for him to repair. Went to Home Depot and bought a few things, did the repair in about an hour.

But now we have $75,000 worth of damage.

I was so angry at my husband. What kind of idiot lets a small, fixable problem escalate into a $75,000 problem just because he's unwilling to pull his head out of the sand? He's a PIPEFITTER and this was a PLUMBING problem, for crying out loud!

But now I realize that this is exactly what humankind is doing to our whole planet. My husband is just a typical human. Ignore, deny, and avoid the problem until it becomes life-threatening. And then, "Oh my God, what are we going to DOOOOO?!?!"

FML

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

-Alee

Nope, not silly at all. Here's a version in Mexico City, which used to have the world's worst air pollution problems. They claim it nullifies 1,000 cars worth of air pollution. It's just a matter of cost & a desire to use them.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
china...smog one day...cancer the next

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A really weird step also mentioned on CNN.com included the banning of fireworks during the alert period. I...wouldn't think firework displays contribute so much to the problem. I do understand they leave traces of pollutants in the air (which anybody can see with fireworks set off at home), but exactly how many fireworks are these people setting off per day that leads to them being banned during moments of high-alert?!

In in a city where fireworks are at least a weekly thing downtown thanks to NFL, minor league baseball, television filming, and/or various music events......we're still kicking out negligible amounts compared to the Beijing level overall. I guess it's a case of "every little bit counts" but dang.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

if the rain (which takes the smog out of the air) takes too long to come ...when do people start dropping dead from the smog...I mean literally.....will they do sdomething before then?

question, how was the air so clean there during the olympics??? did they catch a lucky break??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join