It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The soul, the self & I

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Itisnowagain

The sole is also a fish. You're a fish not a wave.

There is just the ocean and it is appearing to wave.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

But whereas, according to the Platonic philosophy, fallen souls still retain a remembrance of their lost home, this notion was preserved in another form in Gnostic circles. It was taught that the souls of the Pneumatici, having lost the remembrance of their heavenly derivation, required to become once more partakers of Gnosis, or knowledge of their own pneumatic essence, in order to make a return to the realm of light. In the impartation of this Gnosis consists the redemption brought and vouchsafed by Christ to pneumatic souls. But the various fortunes of such souls were wont to be contemplated in those of Sophia, and so it was taught that the Sophia also needed the redemption wrought by Christ, by whom she is delivered from her agnoia and her pathe, and will, at the end of the world's development, be again brought back to her long lost home, the Upper Pleroma, into which this mother will find an entrance along with all pneumatic souls her children, and there, in the heavenly bridal chamber, celebrate the marriage feast of eternity.

Would you provide a link for the quote posted please?
edit on 12-12-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

mythos of the soul

The ocean is full of life.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
The ocean is waving but waves take on the belief that they are separate waves with control - the waves are not in control - the ocean is waving.

What is your primary language?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

I have not seen much from Eckhart Tolle, but i regard Jiddu Krishnamurti as one whose legacy will be of great value to many.
But it should not be received as a teaching, it should be regarded as another way of looking at things, to ponder and go beyond words and symbols.
The core of his philosophy was for each of us to bring about a revolution in the core of our being, to break free from the chains of the known.
He said that there are two kinds of revolution, either bloody (outer) or in the psyche, the inner revolution.
Obviously we have more than enough outer revolution, this world is full of world improvers, however, the inner revolution up to now is only being toyed with, to put it in christian terms, we're not able to leave everything behind, we want to obtain, so here are the .... steps to enlightenment, only 10,99 in walmart.

edit on 12-12-2015 by earthling42 because: grammer

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
The ocean is waving but waves take on the belief that they are separate waves with control - the waves are not in control - the ocean is waving.

What is your primary language?

Wrong. The wind forms waves.
Your metaphor just doesn't work at all. And i perfectly understand what you are trying to say, i just think you are wrong... wronger, the wrongest...lol don't worry i know that superlative doesn't exist... It should given the bs you write.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What is your first language?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

German. Why?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The wind forms waves.

Can a wave in the ocean appear to exist without the ocean?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Look, i think we agree in so far as we both know the ocean, as universal conscience exists.
I believe i am a fish in an ocean full of independent life forms, you believe you are a mindless wave without a will.
Let's just agree we disagree?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

German. Why?

Because it is obvious that English is not your first language - or at least that was the conclusion I had come to - thanks for confirming it.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I believe i am a fish in an ocean full of independent life forms, you believe you are a mindless wave without a will.

You may well believe that you are a fish. But you are wrong about me believing I am a mindless wave - I am the ocean waving.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

No you're not. You are just as trapped in a body as everybody else is. You also just claimed to be god? Are you sure?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I think in a lot of cases, it is important to clarify how we see the soul and spirit. Personally, I see the soul as the product of our mind and body while the spirit is something 'not entirely physical' that maintains a sort of connection to physical reality. I can go into my own thoughts on the specific processes, but it is speculation. I see it as a tree of sorts that grows through multiple dimensions, with our body as the leaves.

The Trinity is an interesting aspect to me too. We see it brought up, conceptually, in many belief systems. The way I see it is that we have peaks and troughs on the same wave. Eventually leading to the idea that non-dualistic systems are, arguably, more dualistic than any others.

When it comes down to it, I think that we are trying to learn the responsibility of directing matter. Most physical objects operate according to identifiable patterns that we discover through science. Planets slowly form, gathering mass with little chance for anomalies. Then life comes along, and jumps in the air! Singlehandedly breaking a cycle that is millions of years old.

The way each of us perceives the world is insular and, generally, internally consistent. However, due to innate limitations, this manifests in 7 billion+ different ways. Instead of embracing this, it is easier to group ourselves along illusionary lines. Wherein, those who see "it" differently are no longer unique interpretations of something beyond all of us, but are simply viewed as wrong. This is exacerbated and manipulated for control, but people buy into it willingly.

Its easier to just assume others are "wrong," rather than recognize the internal consistencies point to our limitations rather than any Ultimate Truth. And then we attempt to convert others instead of exploring it all together. After many generations, it seems this conflict works its way into every level of our physical experience.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You are just as trapped in a body as everybody else is.

No one is trapped in a body - there is no one in there. There is no inside or outside - there is just this - life apparently happening. Posts being written, posts being read, heat, sensation, vision, sound, thoughts appearing followed by other thoughts and sensations - all just happening. No one is doing life and life is not happening to anyone.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Oh an interesting point, mind over matter. And i feel we agree, the way you described the spirit is how i define the soul.
The distinction between right and wrong should be constructive and harmfull. As you said if our mind forms our reality we have to carefully evaluate our thoughts before we start "enforcing" them.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

This thread is turning into a beauty, thanks for starting this topic

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You're wrong, imo the self lives this exact life for a reason, to gather or spread information, to teach and learn, to love and be loved all are lessons to be learned, so the soul can develop further, the soul as one part of Sophia.
That's why we disagree so much. Your point of view just makes everything meaningless. Your ego is the part in the way of the self recognising the soul and its true purpose but no one will ever truly get rid of it. Because the ego is also what keeps us holding on to life.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Thanks for your considered reply to my Krishnamurti comment. Hey, do you think that you 'got it'?
Just having fun here.

Regards midicon

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Your point of view just makes everything meaningless.

It only seems meaningless for something that wants meaning - the separate me wants, it needs meaning. Life is gloriously delightful - like an amazing piece of art. But the mind wants meaning, it makes up meaning where there is none.

Because the ego is also what keeps us holding on to life.

Life does not need holding on to.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join