It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like B-2 Spirits? Northrop made a video for you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Northrop Grumman released a promo video on the B-2. At the Air Force Association's, Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition they won a commendation for B-2 program.
The video just screams "merica" and the addition of the bombing run edit on some middle eastern village was an odd choice I think.

On Wed, Sept. 18, 2013, Northrop Grumman received a commendation from the Air Force Association (AFA) for its leadership role developing, producing and sustaining the U.S. Air Force’s B-2 Spirit stealth bomber.

The award was presented to the company as part of a formal dinner event marking the end of AFA’s 2013 Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition held in National Harbor, Md. Tom Vice, corporate vice president and president, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, accepted the award on the company’s behalf.

edit on 7-12-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
cool video
but i just cant help but wonder how many millions of dollars this minute and a half long wankfest cost
(almost certainly billed directly or indirectly to the tax payer)

cool aircraft
$2,000,000,000 cool?
yeah somebodies off their damned rocker

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

That is one AWESOME looking aircraft.

I would use the word majestic, if folk around here were not so prone to mistaking any reference to the word for something other than what it is!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: fartlordsupreme

The video was most likely filmed during routine testing, training, or maybe even operational missions. So not really a waste when it's being made serving a dual purpose.
edit on 12/7/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing typo.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. Inspirational.

Makes one proud to be an American.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

oh im sure they found a way

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Lack of a vertical stabiliser make it look slightly odd but it is still
a very impressive aircraft.

never actually seen one "yet" but have heard their radio traffic as they are
an occasional visitor to an RAF base not far from me

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
Thanks for posting. Inspirational.

Makes one proud to be an American.

Interesting.

It made me proud to NOT be an American...

Sure, great engineering and all that, but what a disgusting waste of resources.

The world is #cked.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
even though they say it's a pig, piece of crap and all manner of insults. i still like the B1 better.

just look at that thing, put cannons and missiles on it, and you'd think it was a big ass fighter.
edit on 7-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

I celebrate our intellectual achievements. All you see is a war machine.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

If you can get the damn thing in the air. Heh.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

I acknowledged that it is 'great engineering', but that alone is insufficient.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

yea i know, still looks tuff.

i still think it was a shame they couldn't keep the F-4's going. i loved that aircraft.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I wouldn't mind seeing them put F135s or F136s into them, and give them the fourth generator back. They really screwed them beyond belief when they pulled that fourth generator to lighten things up.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

wasn't the 135 a Pratt & Whitney and the 136 a GE
which one do you think was best the Pratt & Whitney, or the GE? both are good engines but i think Pratt & Whitney builds a better one.

what happened in the loss of the 4th generator, what systems were affected.

edit on 7-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The 136 was a collaboration between GE and Rolls Royce. The 135 is a Pratt engine. I'm a little gun shy about GE engines with regards to their fighter style turbofans. The F-14 debacle went a long way towards souring quite a few attitudes about their turbofans. Their commercial engines are great, but their turbofans used by the military, have occasionally really really sucked.

The extra generator that was pulled caused them to lose a lot of overall power. During high power phases of flight, they have to pick and choose what systems are active. We had four of them come in with engines torn up from ice, because when they left Singapore they went through a thunderstorm, and had to choose navigation systems, or deicing. They didn't have the power for both at that point.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

i had heard about GE fans not being up to snuff, but thought they had fixed that problem.
i didn't realize Rolls was in the mix on the f136.

sounds like having to pick and choose which systems you run during missions, due to lack of power is something they would address and make right. last thing you need in a pinch is not having enough power to do whats needed, like do i know where i'm going, or do i deice both seem to be major choices that i would not like to decide on.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I think part of it is that during combat, they aren't going to be worrying about deicing so that power is funneled to the combat systems. The requirement was that it be supersonic when it was developed, and they had to lose a pretty big chunk of weight to do that. One of the places they trimmed was the generator off one engine. Saved a good bit, and got it supersonic, so they were satisfied.

top topics

join