It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland police respond to possible suspicious package at 100 Middle St.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Could be something or nothing...I can't find any more info on this one at this point but what the building houses makes it interesting to say the least.

Emergency officials have cordoned off the entrance to 100 Middle St., which houses the U.S. Attorney’s office, the FBI regional office and the law firm Bernstein Shur, on Monday morning. The Portland Police Department’s hazardous devices unit, which is used to respond to suspicious packages and possible explosive devices, is parked in front of the building.

The Federal Protective Service, which is charged with guarding federal buildings and offices, has two vehicles parked near the scene.

The building at 100 Middle St. is blocked off from traffic from Franklin Arterial to Pearl Street.

Source

So the US Attorney's office and the FBI Regional office....I am not sure what the Bernstein Shur law firm has to do with it or why it was mentioned. Is there some known threat or connection to this law firm in particular from the past?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Apparently the building houses some homeland security and secret service offices according to this story. Seem bomb techs have been in already and they are using dogs to check the mail bins and cars around the street. I would think that if the bomb techs went in there must have been something found for them to continue checking the streets. I don't know proper protocol, but if nothing were found inside, why would they continue to search outside if it was some accidental bag being left or something?

Source

Police have blocked off Middle street in Portland from Pearl Street to Franklin Street with caution tape surrounding 100 middle Street, which houses several offices such as various law firms, the secret service and Homeland Security.

Employees at 100 middle Street told NEWS CENTER Portland police told them to leave the building because of a suspicious package-- police have not yet confirmed. Portland Police hazardous devices unit is in front of the building and police are using K9 to sniff around cars and mailboxes.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Sending EOD to check doesn't necessarily mean they found something. It makes more sense that they check than Joe Patrolman. That way of it does turn out to be something, there's much less chance of making a mistake and setting it off.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not to de-rail, but my immediate thoughts went back to 2010 when this Delta Bravo tried to make things go bang; FAIL< thank goodness-

www.oregonlive.com...

Hope it is just a coinkee doink,

SF

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Appears from updates I have seen that the bomb unit has left the scene. The Police chief also added that the package was left there intentionally, so could have been a HOAX threat to try to rile them up or dry run to see what the response time and who would respond would look like.

Interesting that they even stated that in the report.

Portland Police are investigating a package that was left in the lobby of 100 Middle St. Monday morning that the police chief said was left intentionally.

Police closed Middle Street to traffic while they inspected the package, which was determined not to be explosive. The building was evacuated while police inspected the package.

However, Police Chief Michael Sauschuck said that the package, which he would not describe in detail, was left on purpose to make people afraid.

“I believe it was an intentional act,” he said. He would not elaborate on why police believe that, or whether a note was left with the package.

Source
edit on 12/7/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

"Intentional act"

Just like Ahmed the clock boy.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I've had clients there.

It'll be a homeless guys lunch- just wait.

Portland PD is right down the street.
edit on 7-12-2015 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Was it a McDonald's sack with a couple of burgers inside?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Or a cardboard box with a phone charger in it.

I looked it up- the city police department is 109 middle st.

top topics

join