It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus was tempted to worship Satan!? So desiring to worship Satan is Jesus-like!? (video explains)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Read the essay in the video description found here...
www.youtube.com...

...it talks about an issue that has always been a weird one to me. I've NEVER been tempted to worship Satan and I think that at least no Christian person would be. But then why was Christ himself tempted to worship the Devil? If the Devil appeared before any Christian on earth and asked them to worship him, I don't think that 1 would be tempted. So why was Jesus tempted when the Devil talked to him and asked Jesus to worship him?

Tempted requires that there is a want to do whatever it is. I've seen some explanations try to say that Jesus was tempted by Satan but didn't want to do any evil. But that doesn't seem to sense because you can't be tempted without having some kind of want for whatever it is. The first two temptations seem to be easy enough, I wouldn't lose any sleep over Jesus wanting to turn a rock into bread or wanting to jump off of the temple. But Devil worship?

So technically it is "Jesus-like" to want to worship the Devil.

What do you think? Does it give Devil worshipers some credibility that Jesus himself was tempted to worship the Devil himself? I think that it might because it's not like Jesus was tempted to worship Thor or Zeus.

& while on the subject of Greek Gods, the essay also discusses how the Devil seems to match up with the unstable nature of the Greek Gods. Why doesn't that ever come up? Especially since the bible was originally written in Greek? How can the Greek word for God mean anything other than a Devil kind of character? Doesn't the New Testament being written in Greek basically condemn God the Father into being a Greek-like God?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If you count someone speaking that has gotten everything wrong...But , it is a youtube video so this must be the way it is stated in the Bible...."Wizard's First Rule."

edit on 7-12-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
he was tempted but did not yield.

satan, came to Jesus and offered food, test the lord, and offered the world to him, Jesus did not call and ask there is a big difference.

the lesson was, to show that Jesus in human form (man) one should not be tempted and if you are resist the temptation no matter how strong.[

edit on 7-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alientransfer
Tempted requires that there is a want to do whatever it is. I've seen some explanations try to say that Jesus was tempted by Satan but didn't want to do any evil. But that doesn't seem to sense because you can't be tempted without having some kind of want for whatever it is.

You are being misled by the modern usage of the word "tempted". So you are using a wrong definition, failing to understand the word as the writers were intending to use it.

There are really two elements in the situation of "temptation". There is the suggestion or opportunity which comes from "outside", and there is the "internal" response from the person being tempted.
In modern usage, "I was tempted/he was tempted" is talking about the second element. Naturally enough, since humans normally can't help responding to a degree.
But when the New Testament says Jesus was "tempted", it is talking about the first element ONLY. It means that Satan was making suggestions. It is not saying that Jesus was "wanting" to respond to them.

A better translation for modern English would be "tested", which might be found in some versions.

edit on 7-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: alientransfer

Where do you think temptation comes from?

Temptation is the desire to do what you know you really shouldn't. The devil is the source of that impulse even if he doesn't appear to you himself and promise you everything if you'd just give in to him like he did with Christ. Understand that Christ is much bigger fish that any of us is. If you can tempt the Son of God to come over to your side, even for a bit, especially give that His sacrifice is to redeem humanity, then you have foiled God's ultimate plan (the redemption of humanity).

Like it or not, none of us has that importance.

Jesus had to pass that hurdle in order to be worthy along with so many more.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is Matthew chapter 4, verses 1 through 11:

1 Then was Jesus led aside of the Spirit into the wilderness, to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days, and forty nights, he was afterward hungry.

3 Then came to him the tempter, and said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4 But he answering, said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil took him up into the holy city, and set him on a pinnacle of the Temple.

6 And said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down, for it is written, that he will give his Angels charge over thee, and with their hands they shall lift thee up, lest at any time thou shouldest dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8 Again the devil took him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them,

9 And said to him, All these will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down, and worship me.

10 Then said Jesus unto him, Avoid Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil left him: and behold, the Angels came, and ministered unto him.

I don't see the part where Jesus considered any of the devil's requests. I have always like verse two here "He fasted forty days and forty nights, and then felt hungry" that gives you an idea of Jesus' supernatural ability. If tempted at all he would have only been tempted by the first suggestion to turn the stones into bread, but he didn't (there are several possible reasons why). The next two requests were increasingly more obvious traps, which only makes you question the devil's intelligence.

Why didn't he turn the stones into bread? One possibility is he wanted to exercise self-control and just didn't want to eat yet. Another is maybe he didn't want to work a miracle for personal gain, another could be just because it was the devil who was asking him to do it (turning stones into bread isn't necessarily bad, but if it's the devil asking then you would question it on principle).

I don't think he was tempted at all when the devil asked Jesus to worship him. Jesus would already have known that he was the legitimate king of the world.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
I don't think he was tempted at all when the devil asked Jesus to worship him. Jesus would already have known that he was the legitimate king of the world.

Quite right. He was never "tempted" in the modern sense of the word. He was being "tested".

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Even a quick reading of the passage in context would have resolved your dilemma.

He was tempted. Not tempted.

edit on 12/7/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

You at least starting on the path to that "aha" moment

You do realize Satan means the adversary; Satan does not = Devil

the devil...

en.wikipedia.org...

The devil (from Greek: διάβολος or diábolos = slanderer or accuser)[1] is believed in many religions, myths and cultures to be a supernatural entity that is the personification of evil and the archenemy of God and humankind. The nature of the role varies greatly, ranging from being an effective opposite force to the creator god, locked in an eons long struggle for human souls on what may seem even terms (to the point of dualistic ditheism/bitheism), to being a comical figure of fun or an abstract aspect of the individual human condition. While mainstream Judaism contains no overt concept of a devil, Christianity and Islam have variously regarded the devil as a rebellious fallen angel or jinn that tempts humans to sin

quoted from your link

www.youtube.com...

Worshipers of a true Theos desire to worship while refusing to worship the same 1 they worship

any "god" that requires worship is a deceiver; true godhood is love - requiring no carnal worship. Keep up the research -

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The devil is the source of that impulse

Of course, that makes it easy for the controller religion to give you an excuse; you then keep coming back for forgiveness/absolution. They are great falsehoods. "sinned through Adam" and Vicarious atonement.
An outside moral agent, free will -

Lather, rinse, repeat got to keep the soul machine fed

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

No, its Jesus like to tell Satan that you will obey every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that "tempted" doesn't mean you actually give into temptation. It just means you were offered a good deal to give in.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

He fasted forty days and forty nights, and then felt hungry" that gives you an idea of Jesus' supernatural ability

If he was supernatural ( he turned water into wine ) why should he feel hunger to begin with? Why fast if you are supernatural? - whats the benefit in that?

www.ctvnews.ca...

One review in the British Medical Journal found that hunger strikers who choose to continue taking in fluids begin to feel severe starvation symptoms after around 35 to 40 days. That’s when many develop confusion, hallucinations and convulsions. Shortly after, they begin to experience organ failure, which can lead to death on its own or to fatal heart attacks.

maybe the "satans" temptation on top of the mountain was a hallucination? - just voices in his head, induced by hunger and dehydration.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

its Jesus like to tell Satan that you will obey every word that proceeds from the mouth of God

For such a lowly creature Satan was given quite a free rein - from the 2 Trees in Paradise, to the Temptation on the mount, to now according to Christians. Your god sounds like an imposter demiurge - not really in control of this planet or his creations.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yahweh = Satan. They have you worshiping evil
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

No, of course not, it explains where the impulse comes from. It does not absolve you from the responsibility of recognizing that you feel the impulse and choosing to resist it.

Ultimately, the choice of what to do about it is always in your court. So if you give in, then that's all on you and your responsibility.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
But if you didn't want to do it, even if you are offered, then you are not tempted. Jesus was tempted.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So one should NEVER consider all options because an option could be pure evil? Sounds like thought police rhetoric to me. I'm not even Christian and I don't see any problem with Jesus being tempted by Satan.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: alientransfer
But if you didn't want to do it, even if you are offered, then you are not tempted. Jesus was tempted.

Yes, you are. There are two ways you can be tempted. One is something that you feel inside, and one is something that happens to you in which you are passive.

Let's say you are a cop.

Someone can come to you and offer you money to look the other way. You have just been tempted. If you are an honest cop, the bribe offer doesn't make you feel any internal temptation in the least, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy who offered you the bribe just tempted you. If you are in a tough place in life or slightly less honest, you might internally entertain the notion and agonize over the choice. Then you feel the internal temptation, too, which is what you are referring to.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Right, but at least you're not pretending that the bible never said that Jesus did consider doing wrong, what others here are saying is that Jesus never desired it "even though he was tempted" which makes no sense.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join