It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard And Princeton Abolish “Masters"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Oh I own a local watering hole in Japan, and folks would address me as Master especially delivery people and sales, a thing common in Japan however I discourage the staff from calling me that not out of fear of a slave master connotation, but it seemed to me too formal and stiff, when we are about openness and mad fun.
edit on 7-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

If that's the degree of victimhood you have over the subject that the very word "master" is something you abhore, it's no wonder most of them obviously are so against learning anything. That would require they "master" knowledge. It would mean enslaving knowledge to their ends!

They couldn't possibly do that!

link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Cold, logical, harsh and has no room for the level of nuance or artistry of English, but it fills all the other boxes.

Ah, I see with your elegant prose that you are a Head of the English language.

link   
I am a chronic headbator.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You only get a Head of the English language, when you put your full stop at the beginning of the sentence and work backwards, otherwise, you only get ahead of yourself!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I just chucked my MasterCard...

He-man is devastated to now only be the Head of the Universe.

Problem did you mean to skip making that "Person-Person and the heads of the Universe."?

The one I will miss is the Doctors Arch-Nemesis the Head. Does not have the Velvet ring of "The Master"

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Headhead just doesn't have the same ring as Headmaster.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
And what will they do with the Master's Golf Tourney?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I think its time that SkepticOverlord does the right thing and Remove the "Above" part of AboveTopSecret .
Why is he above us all?

I always knew ATS was gov't owned and operated but now an elitist site as well? Come on, it needs to be changed to OverTopSecret

Oh but then why must he be 'Over' us? , ah Cr@p it needs to be changed to TopSecret . but than why is he 'Top' of us ? must be changed to secret.

The Above is equal to Stupid as The Premise to the article is equal to Stupid.

I find it amazing with all the problems in the world that anyone dedicates time to these foolish things.

edit on 091231America/ChicagoMon, 07 Dec 2015 08:09:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
How can you object to "Above" and not object to "Top"?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I wanna shake those kids violently screaming at them Dudes!! Dudettes!!!... you are in Freakin Yale and Harvard !! well on your way to become one of the "Masters"of the universe.. STFU and get on with your education.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Secret hints at things we know that others don't, or maybe things they know that we don't.

Maybe the site should just be AverageCommonKnowledge or something.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yeah Looks like we thought the same thing , LOL

However,

I think we need to go further and somebody here needs to tell SkepticOverlord that he needs to change his name and get rid of the Overlord part as it could be offensive.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

just.

WOW

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is the dumbest thing I'll read about today.

What about the Masters program? Obviously they are educating a new generation of plantation owners. oO

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
This is the dumbest thing I'll read about today.

Careful there, it's still pretty early.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

That is the wisest advice I have seen on the site today! It may still be early, but there is every chance that by days end, better words more aptly spoken, will not have been forthcoming!

As to the meat of the issue, I find this change somewhat idiotic. The concept of a masters degree and the concept of slavery have nothing whatever to do with one another. One of these statuses is an academic accolade, meaning that the holder of said accolade is a master of his or her subject, that they have gained every skill, read every work, understood every necessary facet of the material and the subject, and are now qualified to a stupendous degree in said subject or skill. The other is to be terrible.

They are nothing alike, and as such this change makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What you stated are facts, in a logically way, both of these things are sorely lacking in today's "I'm offended!" society.

We have a generation full of whiners, young adults who have no understanding of basic concepts like disappointment, failure, unfairness, personal responsibility and an overall lack of understanding that the world does not revolve around them.

I really fear for them. What are they going to do when life kicks them square in the backside repeatedly? They'll probably curl up in a fetal position and cry for their mommies because they lack the skills needed to deal with just how cruel the world has a tendency to be.

edit on 7/12/2015 by lynn112 because: Edit to be clear that I'm not saying all of the "young adults" are that way, but many are.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

One or two over privileged black students murmured something idiotic and faculty buckled immediately this is a non battle , non issue I am sure there are bigger problems they need to focus on, this ain't one of them, but it's the whole P,C culture on campus, comedians like Chris Rock, Seinfeld Louis C.K Amy Schumer and I heard Bill Maher may avoid those winey lil pricks all together.
www.theatlantic.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join