It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missing Marine Who Showed Up in Lebanon, Missing Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun, the Marine who went missing in Iraq, only to show up later on Al-Jazeera and finally alive and well in Lebanon has gone missing again. Cpl. Hassoun, who was under investigation and supposedly cooperating with the military since returning to the U.S., failed to show up for duty after the holidays.

ap.tbo.com
Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun was required to return to Camp Lejeune by noon Tuesday, but did not report for duty in a motor pool, said Maj. Matt Morgan, a spokesman for the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade.

Hassoun was still missing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Morgan said.

Hassoun's command "officially declared him a deserter and issued authorization for civil authorities to apprehend Hassoun and return him to military control," Morgan said.

Mazen Hassoun, the corporal's brother, said from his West Jordan, Utah, home that he was surprised by the latest accusation. He said he had not heard from his brother but was awaiting a call from him.

Cpl. Hassoun was listed as missing in Iraq after he failed to report for duty June 20. A week later, the Arabic news network Al-Jazeera broadcast a photo of Hassoun looking as if he were a hostage, blindfolded and with a sword behind his head.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

First of all, I don't know why this guy is still on active duty in the military. He is obviously against the war in Iraq and clearly shows no allegiance to the US military. He was charged with desertion, theft and loss of government property and is supposed to be serving at least a five-year prison sentence. His sentence was supposed to be on January 13th, he'll probaby show up in Lebanon or maybe even Canada next.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Actually he was probably kidnap by American forces and tag an enemy of the state and a terrorist so I will not be surprised if he was taken to Guantanamo and now he is in a "non combatant" status to be incarcerated with not laws to protect him indefinitly.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I don't know about this, he has contacts in the middle east that were able to move him thru iraq into lebanon, thru syria too perhaps? How involved is this guy with any of the insurgents or jihadis? Its known that insurgents have infiltrated the iraqi police and national army, isn't it to be expected that some jihadis have infiltrated the US military? I understand that he's got other family in the military also, and obviously we here don't know what the deal is, but it should be interesting to say the least to see where this guy turns up.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I can't figure out why the Marine Corps would send a man on leave who is charged with desertion. Of course, he may very well be leading the CID folks exactly where they want to go.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Actually he was probably kidnap by American forces and tag an enemy of the state and a terrorist

Does the responsibility to have evidence before unloading heavy charges on people mean anything to you? It seems that you could care less about truth and honesty and the only thing that matters to you is how any given topic lets you trash the American Government and/or Bush. What an embarassment.

As for this now TWO time deserter. Grady hit the nail right on the head. That is precisely what I would do with a security risk like this clown. Let him lead you to wherever he's going and whatever fun things are there.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Grady's got it right on this one. The FBI was watching him. When I was in the Corps in about 1982 a kid I had known In the Boy Scouts went AWOL.The detachment CO and an FBI agent asked me to go to his house to talk him in to comming back on his own. I have to believe thy know were he's at.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
While ill agree that the facts are still out ont exactly whats going on here,
if indeed he has deserted TWICE, and once on the field of battle, somehow making his way thru hostile territory safely, then id have to say
hang him for treason, or shoot him for desertion once caught and convicted!
the terms coward and traitor come to mind,
but we'll have to wait and see how this pans out.

Mabey this guy is like a super secret agent and really working for us to lead us deep into the enemy's group,
but somehow i think the terms that come to my mind will be the case.

Either way i HOPE the feds have him under surveilance.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I can't figure out why the Marine Corps would send a man on leave who is charged with desertion. Of course, he may very well be leading the CID folks exactly where they want to go.

I hope you are right. Because if they sent the guy home on leave
after he took off once .... that would be incompetence.

I hope they have him tagged.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just heard an update on CNN. They know he withdrew money, changed his flight to Lebanon via Canada. Now he is ??? who knows where.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Mabey this guy is like a super secret agent and really working for us to lead us deep into the enemy's group,

Actually I would be curious if the exact opposite were true. Is it so far fetched to think that a member of Al Quaeda could infiltrate a mole into the armed services? This man not only deserted, he made it through miles of hostile territory. He had somone help him pose as an abductee and shoot a photograph of him with a sword behind his head. I would be curoius to find out what this scumbags job was in the service. What was his security clearance? Was anything ever missing from his unit?

top topics

join