It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq gives a 48 hour deadline to Turkey move out from Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Turkey have not been asked to assist the Iraqis, so therefore it is an illegal incursion by them.

They are claiming that the governor of the province asked for their assistance. Presumably he is Sunni and does not trust the Shi'a in Baghdad who have invited Iran in.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

It will probably be the excuse NATO need to bring in even more NATO members to protect Turkey.

You keep talking about NATO as though it were a single human being calling the shots. Trust me, NATO does not really want to get involved. Some member states feel obliged to take a hard line against "terror" at the moment. Pretty sure none of the member states want to back Erdogan unconditionally.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
What the hell is Iraq going to do. 200 ISIS made 10,000 Iraq troop run away like little girls...lol

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Ploutonas

It will probably be the excuse NATO need to bring in even more NATO members to protect Turkey.

It contains no new information and does not claim that Bilal Erdogan is ISIS's Oil Minister. It poses that as a rhetorical question in the title. It summarizes Putin's accusations and says that they were not pulled out of thin air. It then mentions that he is part owner of a shipping line and was investigated for allegations of corruption. It ends with an example of him apparently living beyond his means. Evidence of corruption is not proof of terrorism. It was a Syrian who accused Bilal Erdogan of being the ISIS Oil Minister without backing it up.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I suspect you are pretty close to correct on the issue of NATO backing the Turks. I read an article a few days ago where certain EU officials stated that Turkey would never be invited to join the EU.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Turkey 'will probably never be EU member'
Turkey will probably never become a member of the European Union because of stiff opposition and "prejudiced" attitudes from current members, a senior Turkish minister has admitted.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

No, the passageway is in Syria, although nobody has ISIS on his forehead.
But the complete Iraqi border with Turkey into Iran and into Syria is inhabited by kurds from the border to almost 100 miles inland.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Or the Iraqi soldiers were sunni muslims who will not fight for a shiite government.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I guess they could ask the Russians for help.. They helped Syria out.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ploutonas

Does this mean the Turks won't be letting Iran have complete run of Iraq after ISIS is defeated there?

If that's the case, let 'em take all of it they want.
edit on 6-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

A couple of weeks ago, EU made a meeting with Turkey, in order to discuss about the illegal emigrants turkey smuggles into eu. Turkey took 2 billions of euro, to hold them there, plus talks for turkey to join the EU.

France already stated, that turkey didnt do anything yet from what they've agreed. I believe once more, turkey will just talk and talk, without joining the EU.

Everybody knows what turkey does, expanding islaam, nobody wants that, or to give a free pass to fanatic Muslims. They already do that with the illegal emigrants, imagine if turkey enters EU, what is going to happen. SO, I also have some doubts if turkey ever gets these 2 billions or euro.

Here is some spicy news (fresh) Russia chiefs already activated a perimeter in Syria - Umbrella and if syria threatened as a country from turkey, they will nuke them with TOPOL-M and Yars missiles. link

I dont know what type of nukes are these, but it sounds like smaller scale nukes.

Also USA supporting IRAQ link
edit on 6-12-2015 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Turkey has the 10th largest army in the world. Iraq's army is a joke.

Both armies, is a joke ... Turkey doesn't have a chance in hell ... sure they can get a freebie or two. But they are sitting ducks ... or turkeys

The question is, which "nato" member is behind Turkey ... even if Erdogan is mad, he's not this mad ... but someone is desperate ... desperate enough to risk WWIII.

However, the point everyone is missing here ... is that Russia could decide to nuke the oil fields. It would essentially destroy western nations, completely. And, ISIS is the correct casus belli to allow it ... with them in control of these fields, and NATO threatening a WW ... such a strike would be quite smart. Civilian casualt, small ... effect, catastrophic to NATO.

edit on 6/12/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What are Iraq gonna do? Well they did see off the worlds largest military using camels and fireworks.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
There is nothing that can be done if the Turks choose not leave. The Shia Iraqi forces in the area have failed to take Mosul leading to the former police and military forces of Mosul (Sunnis) along with the Kurds turned to the Turks to provide aid in retaking the city. The Iraqis of course do not want Sunni's and Kurds taking Mosul.

However for Iraq to do anything they would have to engage Sunni Iraqi forces and Kurdish forces that working with the Turks. That would lead to and end of cooperation between the Kurds and Iraq and Sunni militias and Iraq and likely start a civil war.

And no Iran and Russia would be no help, they are over extended just trying keep Assad propped up.
edit on 6-12-2015 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Russia would be no help, they are over extended

Why do you say that? I'm not saying i disagree with you, i am just saying i have a hard time imagining 100,000 Russian soldiers occupied in Crimea and on their borders.
edit on 6-12-2015 by benwyatt because: ellaboration

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
I guess they could ask the Russians for help.. They helped Syria out.

Dont think the Russians will be coming even if the Iraqi's begged, Russia made it clear it wont be playing the savour, Syria is different story. Russians have self interests in Syria.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
a reply to: Xtrozero

Or the Iraqi soldiers were sunni muslims who will not fight for a shiite government.

Could be very true, but they gave up towns and cities to be raped, plundered and kill everything they could not screw. Boy those Sunnis sure showed their Government.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

However, the point everyone is missing here ... is that Russia could decide to nuke the oil fields. It would essentially destroy western nations, completely. And, ISIS is the correct casus belli to allow it ... with them in control of these fields, and NATO threatening a WW ... such a strike would be quite smart. Civilian casualt, small ... effect, catastrophic to NATO.

How is them nuking the oil fields going to do squat to the west, and the first country to nuke anything signed their death warrant. The US gets most of its oil from Canada and we have enough to go completely independent. EU I think gets theirs from Russia.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Apparently the US wanted to place troops in Iraq but this was dismissed by the Iraqi government.
Funny how John McCain and Lindsey Graham advocated for 10.000 soldiers in Iraq because PM Haider al-abadi asked for more american precense according to them.
Yet, PM Haider al-abadi said 'no' because they have enough man and resources to defeat deash and other criminal groups.

And without approval suddenly Turkey sends troops into Iraq.

Now the question, what are the odds that this is an attempt to protect smuggle routes and oil deliveries to Turkey.
With Russian presence along the Syrian/Turkish border, it won't be easy to smuggle oil into Turkey, nor for equipment and troops to enter Syria.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
How is them nuking the oil fields going to do squat to the west, and the first country to nuke anything signed their death warrant.

Pfft ... no, it would be OUR death warrant ... not theirs. Any of these players, Russia/US/China can do anything they please ... and they wouldn't do squat against the other, if SHTF ... anyone thinks different, they're a moron.

The US gets most of its oil from Canada and we have enough to go completely independent. EU I think gets theirs from Russia.

US oil consumption, has decreased ... however, Canada can't even produce half of the oil, the US needs to import. Being by FAR the biggest consumer. The US can produce LESS than half it's needs, about 2/5ths.

Europe, can produce silch, nada ... EU being the second biggest consumer, after the US ... it's in DESPARATE need of oil.

Russia produces 3 times the volume, it needs itself.

China, can produce about half of it's needs.

Pretty simple math, really ... this is WHY oil is so important ... and also WHY EUROPE is rogue on this issue.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: benwyatt
a reply to: MrSpad

Russia would be no help, they are over extended

Why do you say that? I'm not saying i disagree with you, i am just saying i have a hard time imagining 100,000 Russian soldiers occupied in Crimea and on their borders.

More than half of Russia's military are 1 year conscripts. Professionals make up the Officers, the Elite Units and Cadre. This vastly limits the number of forces Russia has available to deploy. I year conscripts are not considered by the Russian's of any real use as they poorly trained, lack experience and do not have enough time left in service to be used outside of Russia. That leaves small amount of Professional troops the Russians can count on. When the fighting was going on in Ukraine Russia was finding hard to maintain forces in East Ukraine without stripping professional troops from other units making many units unable to function with no NCOs. So the number of units that are deployable is very small and they are also considered the most loyal and tend to have double responsibilities in maintaining order and discipline among the conscripts.

So just holding on to Crimea, holding Eastern Ukraine and running security for Russian aircraft in Syria has Russia's professional forces over stretched. And the Russian's are not going sent conscripts in because not only are they not reliable, it would likely lead to a revolt at home.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join