It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland wants NATO nukes to counter Russia threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Interesting news,are we seeing the beginning of WWIII?
My mind is has already come to a conclusion,what do the rest of you think?

The Polish Defense Minister says he is thinking of asking NATO to allow nuclear weapons to be deployed on its territory. The alliance’s program allows non-nuclear countries to borrow US missiles. However, such a move would unlikely be taken kindly by Russia.
Defense Minister Tomasz Szatkowski made the statement on Saturday during an interview with the Polish broadcaster Polsat, as cited by AP. He says that the ministry is contemplating whether to ask for access to the nuclear sharing program, which would allow Warsaw to boost its defenses.

This is the first time that a Polish official has made a statement of intent about wanting to host nuclear weapons on its soil.

However, the Polish Defense Ministry has issued a statement that Warsaw has not asked and is not looking to house NATO nuclear weapons on its territory, according to RIA.

However, if the plan does go ahead, it is likely to produce a fierce rebuke from Moscow. Russian President Vladimir Putin said in June that if NATO threatens Russia, Moscow will respond to the threat accordingly.

“If someone threatens our territories, it means that we will have to aim our armed forces accordingly at the territories from where the threat is coming. How else could it be? It is NATO that approaching our borders, it’s not like we are moving anywhere,” he said.

Poland has been one of NATO’s staunchest allies, since joining the alliance in 1999. It has also been keen to establish further links and in September Poland’s parliament gave the green light to President Andrzej Duda to ratify a technical agreement on establishing a US anti-missile base in Redzikowo. Under the NATO-backed plan, the facility should be operational by 2018.

The agreement in question is a part of a much-debated NATO-backed plan that was first agreed on by the US and Poland in 2008. At that time, it was claimed that the base was necessary to counter the risk of a possible missile attack from Iran or North Korea. However, an agreement has been reached with Tehran about a peaceful end to Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

“We all probably remember that in April 2009 in Prague [US] President [Barack] Obama said that if the Iran nuclear program issue is sorted out, then the task of creating the European segment of the missile defense system would disappear,” Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, said adding that Washington’s missile defense plans had no justification anymore.

After winning the Polish presidential election in May, one of Duda’s first moves was to call for more NATO troops to be stationed in the country.

“We do not want to be the buffer zone. We want to be the real eastern flank of the alliance … Today, when we look at the dispersion of bases … then the borderline is Germany,” the conservative Polish President told The Financial Times in August.

“NATO has not yet taken note of the shift of Poland from the east to the west. NATO is supposed to be here to protect the alliance …  If Poland and other central European countries constitute the real flank of NATO, then it seems natural to me, a logical conclusion, that bases should be placed in those countries,” he added.

Source: www.rt.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

Is anyone on here from Poland? I would like to hear your take on all this. I haven't heard anything about Russia threatening Poland,so if it has,could you please elaborate? I personally wouldn't want those darn nukes in my backyard. But to each his own I guess. All the eastern bloc countries keep claiming Russian aggression.I am just not seeing it. Maybe its our MSM or something.Can anyone over there steer me to a solid news source for that area?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

NATO doesn't have nukes any more than it has a military.

Fear mongering from Russia and nothing more...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Take a look back at history. Poland has always felt threatened by Russia, and Germany. With reason.

Not sure about nukes, but I can see where they might be worried.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

NATO doesn't have nukes any more than it has a military.

Fear mongering from Russia and nothing more...

NATO members do have Nukes ... and if I recall correctly some of these ARE in Turkey (Although not confirmed).

But I agree ... this is fear mongering.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Is anyone on here from Poland? I would like to hear your take on all this. I haven't heard anything about Russia threatening Poland,so if it has,could you please elaborate? I personally wouldn't want those darn nukes in my backyard. But to each his own I guess. All the eastern bloc countries keep claiming Russian aggression.I am just not seeing it. Maybe its our MSM or something.Can anyone over there steer me to a solid news source for that area?

Russia has threatened Poland several times over the last couple of years. They even threaten them every time they remove and old Soviet monument. Putin said last year he could have troops in Warsaw in two days if he wanted. And while Russia threatens everybody almost as often as North Korea, the Pole take serious to a point where their citizens have been forming para military forces to assist the military. Keep in mind Russia invading Poland and Baltic states has happened on many occasions so they take threats a lot more seriously than the US or Western Europe.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Russia has threatened Poland several times over the last couple of years.

That's BS ... they have threatened NATO, for the buildup of missile systems directed at Russia ... and have "warned" that any nation allowing such "aggressive" buildup, would face consequences.

That's not a threat, that's saying ...

" Mey Mr. Dumb Dude spaß ... if you have missiles directed at us,
" and they're fired at us from NATO directive ... we'll
" hit back ... and you'll feel the blow, not NATO.

The threat has ALWAYS been NATO threatening Russia. Even after the Soviet Union fell, and there were "peace" talks ... NATO continued to build missile systems, closer and closer to Russia's border.

NATO didn't have to ... they chose to, and as such ... it was an open threat.

edit on 6/12/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

originally posted by: MrSpad
Russia has threatened Poland several times over the last couple of years.

That's BS ... they have threatened NATO, for the buildup of missile systems directed at Russia ... and have "warned" that any nation allowing such "aggressive" buildup, would face consequences.

That's not a threat, that's saying ...

" Mey Mr. Dumb Dude spaß ... if you have missiles directed at us,
" and they're fired at us from NATO directive ... we'll
" hit back ... and you'll feel the blow, not NATO.

The threat has ALWAYS been NATO threatening Russia. Even after the Soviet Union fell, and there were "peace" talks ... NATO continued to build missile systems, closer and closer to Russia's border.

NATO didn't have to ... they chose to, and as such ... it was an open threat.

You know maybe try looking things up before you pretend they did not happen. All you have to do is type in the Russia threatens Poland you will find plenty of Russian threats that have nothing to do with missiles. The Russian Embassy in Warsaw has said that Russia has "warned the Polish side many times" that removing such monuments cannot continue "without the most serious consequences." That is about monuments not missiles. Maybe you some how missed Russia on a regular bases threatening people for having military exercises, thinking about joining NATO, do anything with their own armed forces, taking down old Soviet monuments etc.

Also trying to rewrite history where not only was Russia not feeling threatened by NATO but, was working hand in hand with them is not going to work because it is simple matter to look up. Russia not only had no problem with NATO expansion they would join in joint exercises with them. NATO was on the verge of fading away until Putin decided he wanted to try and reclaim the Soviet Union.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Considering Russia and Poland share a direct border, and taking history into account, including soviet occupation of poland (after the nazi=soviet occupation at the start of ww2) poland has every right to be concerned.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Russia is not too happy about Poland wanting to join the EU and turn its back on Eastern Europe. They share a border, and of course Russia does not want Poland to start playing host to a various Western controlled military installations.

Poland is poking the hornet's nest. The country has become a Western lackey, which is great news for the Western powers that be - it gives them a strategically close vantage point very near to Russia. Of course, Russia will do whatever it can to stop that from happening.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

So when putin says only the syrian people can decide their future the people of Poland can't decide theirs?

Maybe 50 years of nazi / soviet occupation is enough for them.
edit on 7-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Poland shouldn't be able to choose its own allegiances. It's just that they know Russia will be aggravated at the installation of NATO military facilities, so I question whether or not it really needs it. The whole situation strikes me as being very poorly managed. Poland needs to take into account its geographical location and use appropriate diplomacy, and Russia needs to calm the hell down.

It's pretty complicated, mostly based around economics. I'm from Russia so maybe I'm a bit biased though. Basically, Putin's government wants to form a kind of Eurasian Union, similar in scope to the USSR, though not the same in regards to political ideology. Naturally, Poland's allegiance is desired. They're a bit up in the air at the moment - they want to be a full member of the EU, but many EU countries don't want Poland.

This is what has really soured me on Putin's government. At first, he was really popular, and I myself was in favour of him, but in recent years, not so much. Way too belligerent. Putin needs to learn better diplomacy, rather than just throwing his weight around trying to intimidate other countries.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
what russian threat?
there is only one bully on the planet hungry for ww3.
and his name starts with "na" and ends with "to"

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: anticitizen
what russian threat?

Exactly my thoughts as well.. The only threat from Russia is their nukes and thats about it. The more russia saber rattles with that threat the more countries around them will build up their military while running towards the EU and NATO.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
No way would NATO put nukes in Poland. Russia would get in a serious tizzy over that.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
No way would NATO put nukes in Poland. Russia would get in a serious tizzy over that.

Why? Russia has nukes and shares a border with Poland. If Ukraine kept its nukes I doubt Russia would have invaded them.

Why can't Poland have a deterrent against Russian aggression?

top topics

join