It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Canadian Perspective on U.S. and Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This article was written for the Montreal Gazette, so I doubt most people here would come across it. It's worth reading if you're curious as to how (many) Canadians feel about the subject.

www.msn.com...

Although the writer is in Quebec and I am in Ontario...the sentiment is really no different. The only people I've EVER heard talk about guns were hunters. I am not aware that anyone I know keeps a gun for protection.

This thread ISN'T to debate right/wrong or to pit Canadians against Americans (or vice versa). I only wanted to make the article available to anyone who may be interested.

Note: I just noticed a thread title: "Man Driving Around With Loaded Assault Rifle And Body Armor Deemed 'Not Immediate Threat'". (In 'US Political Madness') www.abovetopsecret.com...

I will end this with a (partial) quote from the article: "As a Canadian I see the U.S. as our closest family, like us in so many ways.......But when it comes to guns they're brothers from another planet."

jacygirl

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
Maybe if Canada and others read and understood at least some of what started the American Revolution, they would understand why Americans hang on to their guns. This country has been through the gun control issue before with the Redcoats. This would be a very different nation today if our forefathers had not stood their ground.
The American Revolution Against Gun Control

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Maybe if Canada and others read and understood at least some of what started the American Revolution, they would understand why Americans hang on to their guns. This country has been through the gun control issue before with the Redcoats. This would be a very different nation today if our forefathers had not stood their ground.

So would Canada.

People are lazy they want an easy answer. It must be guns. Couldn't be social issues that require slow steady progress and hard work.

We have over 300 million guns in circulation. The chances of cleaning up gun violence with any firearm restrictions proposed are next to zero.

I would support free training classes to stop some of the accidents but honestly there is no gun restriction in the US that will work. The ghettos of the US have millions of illegal guns. Gangs aren't going to eallmart to buy them.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Murder is already illegal, murdering with guns is already illegal. It's illegal for criminals to own guns. Making these things more illegal isn't going to accomplish anything.

If guns weren't available mass murderers would be using improvised explosive devices. (The SB shooters had quite a few but failed to use them for some reason) Which are more effective and much easier to get then fire-arms. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more IED attacks in North America.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Interesting article and one that for the most part reflects Canadian attitudes towards weapons. Note I said weapons as opposed to guns. the difference being guns are a tool usually for hunting or sport shooting, weapons have one purpose and that's to kill people.

I have no problem with people owning guns but I do have a problem with a person that owns weapons for the sole purpose of "self-defence" Admittedly I also live in Canada and we do not have to worry about being shot by a mugger,thief, gang banger, nutjob whatever and I guess that's the difference. Maybe if I lived in a country where violent gun crime was a problem I would alter my attitude towards this.

Is there a solution to the problems plaguing our brothers and sisters to the south? Possibly but it will take decades and a lot of calm and rational thought to find an equitable solution to such a social enigma.

Disclaimer: There was a time many moons ago when I owned almost a dozen long guns and several handguns. I lost interest in hunting and practical shooting and couldn't justify the cost of either so chose to sell them legally to friends.

ETA: Good to see you around Jacygirl, haven't seen you around in a bit. Happy Holidays

edit on 12/6/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

As a Quebec resident I absolutely agree with the article and the general feeling of us "Canuks". Personally I love guns, - the "technical part" of them. Hunting and rifle on the farm to bring down the occasional "nutty bull" or so; OK but no other needs for them. I used to own a hunting rifle when I was single. After getting married -30 years now - I sold my rifle to a fellow hunter. If I do go on an occasional hunting trip then one of my friends lends me one of his rifles. And for living in the city I sure don't need one.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Is this true from the article?.

Incredibly, U.S. gun sales soar after every mass killing. The biggest sellers are usually the model used by the latest killer, as shootings become advertisements for gun shops. You buy the assault rifle used by the latest killer, so in case of emergency you’ll be equipped as well as your assailant.

US folk have the gun ingrained into their culture like bacon for you guys and tea for us.
Oh and I agree with above marvelous bits of kit mechanically are guns.
edit on 6-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Are you kidding? I can guarantee the average Canadian is far better informed on American history than the average American is. Also we get both sides of the story unlike what some US educators teach.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri

Disclaimer: There was a time many moons ago when I owned almost a dozen long guns and several handguns. I lost interest in hunting and practical shooting and couldn't justify the cost of either so chose to sell them legally to friends.

Same what happened to me. Family and business simply took away the "hunting part" that I enjoyed while single. I just saw no more need to have the thing at home.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Hey Klassified!
I don't think it's that we're not educated about U.S. history...we are. When I was in school, we studied much more American history than Canadian.

There seems to be so much more emphasis on 'separation' in the States. If I lived in an environment where everybody had a gun, I likely would too. (Sad to say, because I've always hated guns.)

Thanks for your input!
jacy

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

A different time, a different place. Using 250 year old thinking isn't getting you any closer to solving a problem now is it? Link

I am Canadian. I see the whole "we need our guns because it's our right" as actually, "I need a gun because I am afraid".

Hunters and police are the only ones who need guns. The rest are either going to commit a crime, or are fearful. IMO.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Ah but I do believe the UN did pass article 128a(b) that every nation signed and no veto was brought stating that Jacygirl would never ever be allowed to carry a gun.
It's like arming 10 chuck norrises.
Oh the devastation.

Oh and I agree our schooling on the USA was basically "We were lucky in the long run" and "We let them win that one for sporting reasons".

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

But when it comes to guns they're brothers from another planet."

These brothers prefer to be a semi-autonomous nations unto themselves. We provide our own security at our homes. Our guns are our family and nobody gets them - as our Constitution guarantees that. It will never happen, so there's no sense brooding about it. If our cousins to the north had the same protection way back when, you'd feel the same way. Our Constitution allows for it's citizenry to change, by force, if necessary, our government and it's structure. Those guns are the U.S.'s auto immune system and security as a whole. All would-be invaders must first recognize that there are now two guns behind every blade of grass..They can come to get US but they won't like it.....

LOVE, cuz. Oh, btw, rest well tonight as untold millions of gun-toting redneck 'Muricans would absolutely flood your country if someone attacked Canada. We'd "bring the pain," so to speak. Then Canada would appreciate and understand.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

But when it comes to guns they're brothers from another planet."

SNIP
LOVE, cuz. Oh, btw, rest well tonight as untold millions of gun-toting redneck 'Muricans would absolutely flood your country if someone attacked Canada. We'd "bring the pain," so to speak. Then Canada would appreciate and understand.

Now that right there is a terrifying thought! I would venture the only nation that has ever conceived of invading Canada was the US. (Ok maybe the USSR for a minute or two but they probably shook their collective heads and giggled later)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Ah but I do believe the UN did pass article 128a(b) that every nation signed and no veto was brought stating that Jacygirl would never ever be allowed to carry a gun.
It's like arming 10 chuck norrises.
Oh the devastation.

rofl...tis ok, I can wreak utter havoc with a nail file!

Kukri....Aww thank you! Real life has been sucking my will to live lately!

donkthe clown....Really? " gun-toting redneck 'Muricans "?? We know you've got our backs...oh, and this isn't personal.

Hello everybody else, and thanks for participating! Please let's not turn on the 'hate' today!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

A different time, a different place. Using 250 year old thinking isn't getting you any closer to solving a problem now is it? Link

I am Canadian. I see the whole "we need our guns because it's our right" as actually, "I need a gun because I am afraid".

Hunters and police are the only ones who need guns. The rest are either going to commit a crime, or are fearful. IMO.

It's actually enlightenment era thinking that I 300+ years old but I guess your elite canadian education didn't teach the history of revolutions.

It's only lazy thinkers that think restricting guns is the answer. It's a feel good no effort solution.

How do the gangs who contribute to 90 percent of gun violence get guns? Illegally. Why? Because there are more than 300 million in circulation. How would they be removed? Search and seizure? Possibly 100 million firearms unregistered. How do they find those? You think nut jobs will stop when wallmart makes it harder to buy guns?

Obviously there are things we could do with licensing but its unlikely the left and right will show any leadership on the issue. They are like telemarketers reading a script. Gun restrictions are the least effective method for stopping gun violence.

I would trust the thinking of Locke, Rouseau, Jefferson and Adams far more than the lack of thinking today. Nobody thinks deeply today its all about me me me and what toys can I have.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Mind you just read about this.

www.history.com...

Go Canada

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Don't let the mainstream medias definition of firearms direct you from the reality that most Americans own guns their whole lives and don't shoot anyone.

The few that do are sensationalized to promote an agenda. The superpowers of the world (which Canada is a member state) is the one promoting world domination through military might (talk about hypocrites) and need to protect themselves from those peaceful gun owning citizens by eventually stripping them away. Once the teeth behind the republic are removed, there is no stopping their bid for world power from within…

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

If it weren't for guns, America would have been South Canada. I think King George III would have been for common sense gun laws as well.

But I still like you guys up north!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Couldn't care less how Canadians feel about guns....

About on a par with how much you care what Americans think about hockey....

edit on 6-12-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join