It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When People Hear Passages They thought was From The Koran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
People keep going "Old Testament", "Old Testament", and then when it is pointed out that much of the quoted verses were from Paul in the NT, the chant changes to: "It's all about context!" and "letter to a certain group that had serious issues".

Sure, whatever, but then why are those passages there? What are you supposed to do with them? Why were they included? What lesson are you supposed to take away?

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Interesting how there's never any clamoring for "context" and understanding subtleties and the background of a verse when speaking about the Quran. The Quran is just wholesale generic evil, right?
edit on 6-12-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

I always find the neglect of the Old Testament interesting, as I was raised on the entire bible many years ago. In fact, the first time I heard anything about the testaments being treated differently was here on ATS.

My father was more of a biblical scholar and he read (as we listened to) many of the more uninteresting and scary parts of the bible. We were taught that the New Testament referred to MUCH of the information in the Old Testament. I don't really know how it could work any other way, as they are so intertwined.

Is the Old Testament for Christians?

The most compelling reason for Christians to read and study the Old Testament lies in the New Testament. The New Testament witnesses to the fact that Jesus of Nazareth is the One in whom and through whom all the promises of God find their fulfillment. These promises are only to be understood from the Old Testament. The fulfillment of the promises can be understood only in the context of the promises themselves. The New Testament presupposes a knowledge of the Old Testament. Everything that is a concern to the New Testament writers is part of the one redemptive history to which the Old Testament witnesses. The New Testament writers cannot separate the person and work of Christ, nor the life of the Christian community, from this sacred history which has its beginnings in the Old Testament.
One estimate is that there are at least 1600 direct quotations of the Old Testament in the New, to which may be added several thousand more New Testament passages that clearly allude to or reflect Old Testament verses.

Studying only the New Testament seems like getting a Bachelors degree instead of a PhD.

I think it's really interesting that this thread died...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Gothmog
Why not ? Christianity and Islam are almost the exact same beliefs and teachings up until the time of Abraham's passing.

Really, care to establish that based on more than your assumption

Any logic or just riding the horse without reins

How bout you read them like I have. You could even google it....I guess
Wow ...a doubting Thomas....
Laying that aside , that is common knowledge. You do know the story of Isaac and Ishmael , yes? No I reckon not. You do know who Abraham was , no ? Probably not . Just saying I assumed without any knowledge of the subject matter whatsoever. Just to have something to type in to an empty field

I can't even fathom how Christianity and Islam were the same theaching till Abraham died when neither Christ or Muhmad, the leaders of the two movements had not even taught their beliefs.

It's common knowledge Christianity and Islam were Faith's started long after Abraham died

Do Christians sacrifice animals like the Jews use to, do they still circumcise, do they have a temple in Israel, do Christians stone sinners, do Christians have the OT rituals?
The laws in the OT were established as the first covenant, Christ established a new covenant

The apostle Paul known initially as Saul went about killing Christians because they were no longer Jews, latter as Paul, he went about converting Jews and Gentiles to Christ, because the new teachings of Jesus were different to the OT teachings

Abraham was the father of Israel, Jesus the Messiah of Christians, two totally different faiths.
If you have read the bible you may well have seen that simple and obvious difference.
Christ was a Jew who ended Judaism on the cross at Calvary so humanity had access to God the Father through Jesus
Prior to that animal blood sacrifice was the only way to the Father

This is simple stuff
edit on 6-12-2015 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: babloyi

I always find the neglect of the Old Testament interesting, as I was raised on the entire bible many years ago. In fact, the first time I heard anything about the testaments being treated differently was here on ATS.

My father was more of a biblical scholar and he read (as we listened to) many of the more uninteresting and scary parts of the bible. We were taught that the New Testament referred to MUCH of the information in the Old Testament. I don't really know how it could work any other way, as they are so intertwined.

Is the Old Testament for Christians?

The most compelling reason for Christians to read and study the Old Testament lies in the New Testament. The New Testament witnesses to the fact that Jesus of Nazareth is the One in whom and through whom all the promises of God find their fulfillment. These promises are only to be understood from the Old Testament. The fulfillment of the promises can be understood only in the context of the promises themselves. The New Testament presupposes a knowledge of the Old Testament. Everything that is a concern to the New Testament writers is part of the one redemptive history to which the Old Testament witnesses. The New Testament writers cannot separate the person and work of Christ, nor the life of the Christian community, from this sacred history which has its beginnings in the Old Testament.
One estimate is that there are at least 1600 direct quotations of the Old Testament in the New, to which may be added several thousand more New Testament passages that clearly allude to or reflect Old Testament verses.

Studying only the New Testament seems like getting a Bachelors degree instead of a PhD.

I think it's really interesting that this thread died...

The Old Testament was written to teach the world humanity will always fail.
It teaches God has a plan and that plan is Jesus.
That violence and destruction only breeds violence and destruction

The New Testament teaches Jesus is the Messiah and to live like Him if you want an eternal relationship with God

A person can't read either old and New Testament like a novel and say they understand, it's impossible
They need to be studied in depth

They can be read hundreds of times and not understood

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Same with the Quran. Picking and choosing certain verses can really give the wrong impression of EITHER book.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Same with the Quran. Picking and choosing certain verses can really give the wrong impression of EITHER book.

I can't speak for the Koran but as for the old and New Testament
Yes sadly they are often misunderstood and the followers, even I, get lost

Jesus left to commands, love God, love each other, love covers many sins
That is the message to Christians
Can't misunderstand that simple teaching.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn
and Islam wrote their own "Quoran", where Mohammed is their Messiah.

No he is not.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

No... studying the NT will get you that Bachelors degree...

Though one can not get a masters without looking at the old and the new part of the book

There is a reason all these books are combined as one... hidden treasures can be found within

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: the Gospel of Luke

originally posted by: bjarneorn
and Islam wrote their own "Quoran", where Mohammed is their Messiah.

No he is not.

I almost thought that was going be missed by all that read the thread.

However, facts don't mean anything when one defends their own religion and tries to discredit another.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
If it weren't for the first amendment to the Constitution and article VI that states "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States" we would more than likely head towards a Saudi or Iranian situation and the most nastiest parts of the Bible would openly be practiced by fundies O.T or N.T

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It's funny because all the "I know more about Christianity than Christians" set are showing there ignorance

Oh well, expected no more

FYI - it is kind of fact....

www.npr.org...

It was discussed many times here as well...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join